Author Topic: find a home for AI  (Read 6187 times)

find a home for AI
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/07/will_iverson_be.html

sounds like the Nugs are willing to deal Iverson - who would want him?

in my mind, the ideal candidate is Cleveland

1. they get a star to put next to LeBron
2. the maintain cap flexibility in case it doesn't work out

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=366~406~831&teams=5~7~7&te=&cash=

in this deal, Denver saves a couple million right off the top (which they've shown they are willing to do for no return) and still has to expiring deals to use as bait or cap savings next year

Cleveland might have to throw in a future draft pick and/or cash considerations but I think it would be a fit

the only issue might be enough shots to go around for AI and LeBron - but it might be worth a one year gamble

thoughts?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: find a home for AI
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'd do it in a heartbeat if i was CLEV, and since denver reportedly wants to cut cap (deal melo, start over with a bunch of FA? i have no idea where the nuggs are going) seems to work for them to.

If im clevland, i dont worry about the not enough shots thing, AI actualy did his best to make melo the man in Denver, but melo dosen't seem to want the repsonasblity.

I'm against this trade because it has the potnetial to make CLEV really good, not because i can find any flaws with it hehe.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:03:15 PM by wdleehi »

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Why would Denver dump AI if they aren't going to either get an asset in return or, at the very least, save some money?  The Camby dumping you could understand because at least they didn't take any salary back, but what's the point of dropping one expiring deal for two expiring deals?  MAYBE if that $2.6M difference in the total salaries would get them out from the luxury tax, not sure how close to the thresehold they are.  Cleveland picks aren't that valuable.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think they will try to attach Martin or Nene to any deal.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=406~788~796~831~366~515&teams=7~7~7~7~5~5&te=&cash=

or

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=406~788~796~831~366~515&teams=7~7~7~7~5~5&te=&cash=

Both links were the same trade, but that has a much better chance of happening than just Iverson.  Sczberbiak and Jones both have one year left just like Iverson.  I seriously doubt the Nuggets would be willing to go that far down in talent just for a couple million.  Granted, they didn't get any players in return for Camby, but they saved a lot of money.  I think that would work out for both teams.  The Cavs get more talent to put around LeBron, and the Nuggets get out of a bad contract.  I don't think Melo would be too happy, but you can't please everyone.   ;)

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:57:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Why would Denver dump AI if they aren't going to either get an asset in return or, at the very least, save some money?  The Camby dumping you could understand because at least they didn't take any salary back, but what's the point of dropping one expiring deal for two expiring deals?  MAYBE if that $2.6M difference in the total salaries would get them out from the luxury tax, not sure how close to the thresehold they are.  Cleveland picks aren't that valuable.

Well it would also make sense if they were trying to dump a contract like Nene (who is stuck there for 4 more years) and rebuild

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=406~788~796~831~1713~366&teams=7~7~7~7~5~5&te=&cash=

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think they will try to attach Martin or Nene to any deal.

or

Both links were the same trade, but that has a much better chance of happening than just Iverson.  Sczberbiak and Jones both have one year left just like Iverson.  I seriously doubt the Nuggets would be willing to go that far down in talent just for a couple million.  Granted, they didn't get any players in return for Camby, but they saved a lot of money.  I think that would work out for both teams.  The Cavs get more talent to put around LeBron, and the Nuggets get out of a bad contract.  I don't think Melo would be too happy, but you can't please everyone.   ;)

Fixed it.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »

• Payton Pritchard

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Cleveland definitely is the best option IMO.

I also think the Bulls would be an interesting option.

Rose is big enough to guard most SG's, and a swap of Hinrich, Hughes, and Gooden, for Iverson and Nene might work for both teams.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 01:10:35 PM »

• Payton Pritchard
Cleveland definitely is the best option IMO.

I also think the Bulls would be an interesting option.

Rose is big enough to guard most SG's, and a swap of Hinrich, Hughes, and Gooden, for Iverson and Nene might work for both teams.

I think those three on the nuggets would be a great fit with melo, Hughes gives Iverson-esque speed but doesn't take as many shots. Gooden is better than K-mart or Nene.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think that would make Cleveland a worse team. Iverson costs you a lot defensively and his self-absorbed offensive play will hurt them on the other end. He can't play next to scorers. He'll waste a bunch of key possessions that will cost them a playoff series.

The Nuggets should definitely trade Iverson. He's hurting that team and he has no part in their future and won't be part of them becoming a contender.

I doubt the Nuggets would have too many options though. I don't see too many contenders being willing to put up large offers to acquire, much like they didn't in the past. Could be someone odd like Charlotte for Jason Richardson. Dallas are pretty desperate, could perhaps get Josh Howard out of them, that'd be nice.

The Chicago trade Chris mentioned is a good one for both teams but I don't think Paxson will add someone as old as Iverson. He'll look to build a long lasting team around Rose and the rest of the youth.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I see Iverson ending up back in a place where he can get his 35 a night and ride off into the sunset as the sole star on a sucky team.  He may well already have that place in Denver if they just tear down all the walls around him.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:19:21 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The Chicago trade Chris mentioned is a good one for both teams but I don't think Paxson will add someone as old as Iverson. He'll look to build a long lasting team around Rose and the rest of the youth.

What it does is gives them the possibility of being well under the cap next year (assuming they resign just one of Deng and Gordon to a big extension).

So they can make a run at the top of the East this year, and then next year, they can try to reload, with their young guys gaining another year of experience.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

What it does is gives them the possibility of being well under the cap next year (assuming they resign just one of Deng and Gordon to a big extension).

So they can make a run at the top of the East this year, and then next year, they can try to reload, with their young guys gaining another year of experience.
Yes it's a very good trade for Chicago but I don't think Paxson would do it. He's got a one-track mind and I have a huge amount of trouble believing he'd consider it.