Author Topic: The Watchmen  (Read 13623 times)

Re: The Watchmen
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
crownsy.   The Rundown was better than 300, in my honest opinion.  I'm fine with some good ol fashioned fun.  Some goofy action and such.  That's fine.   I think my beef with 300 was that it took itself way too seriously.  It thought it was Braveheart, but it was just a bunch of really bad comicbook lines over a bunch of mindless action.

Exactly...it seemed to think it was something it wasn't, and everyone seemed to buy into it. Not the worst movie ever, but strip away the awesome cinematography and you're left with a pretty awful movie.

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think this is the basic point we're all trying to get at in comparing '300' and what 'Watchmen' looks like it's going to be.

http://www.agreeablecomics.com/therack/

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 03:46:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Well, Gladiator and Troy are good films. Alexander is terrible, awful.

I don't put 300 in the same categorie as either of these movies.

agree on gladator, awesome film. disliked troy. though thats probley because i relly like the story of that war and was ticked off by the timeline. apperntly the whole invasion took 3 days. who knew?

day 1: we land and get rocked
day 2: fake sailing away
Day 3: HORSEY TIME!!!!

but again, thats probley just the historian in me revolting about a 15 year conflict being condensed into 3 days hehe.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
crownsy.   The Rundown was better than 300, in my honest opinion.  I'm fine with some good ol fashioned fun.  Some goofy action and such.  That's fine.   I think my beef with 300 was that it took itself way too seriously.  It thought it was Braveheart, but it was just a bunch of really bad comicbook lines over a bunch of mindless action.

If we're just talking about seeing a movie with some good ol fashioned action and fun, I can handle that.   It's not like I'm an elitist.   I liked "Don't Mess with the Zohan", which is considered a pretty bad movie.  In fact, if given the option right now to watch "Don't Mess with the Zohan" (goofy comedy and dumb action) or "300", (pretty boring movie with some nice visuals)... I'm going to go with "Don't Mess with the Zohan".   At least that movie knew it was stupid. 

I mean when you eliminate plot, dialogue, storyline, character development... and merely focus a movie on eye candy... it just ends up kind of boring to me.   It's just a personal opinion.   Yes, I admit the eye candy in "300" was pretty great.   But heck, I'll admit the eye candy in "What Dreams May Come" was pretty impressive too.  It didn't make it any less boring.  It was a movie about Robin Williams going through heaven and hell to save his wife.  But it was really just an excuse for them to have some pretty images flashing on the screen.   I don't see the difference between that movie and "300"... except that 300 has more testosterone and violence associated with their mindless visuals.   

The Rundown was better than 300? Really? Have you been hanging out with Josh Howard lately? Maybe chilled with the Birdman a little bit?

Yeah, actually.   Not to say the Rundown was very good, but it had a couple fun moments.  I liked the pygmy beating up on the Rock.  I liked some of the humor.  I liked Christopher Walken.  Good fun little movie with some action.   But just to back up my opinion (which is just an opinion, of course)... The Rundown got a 59 rating on Metacritic.  Higher than 300's 51 rating.  

And to comment on the person who mentioned "The Rock" (the movie starring NIck Cage and Sean Connery... not to be confused with the actor who starred in The Rundown).   "The Rock" was great.   It's practically an action classic.  Again, I'm perfectly fine with dumb action movies like The Rock, True Lies, even Con Air, because they have a good mix of action, story and character even if it was silly and unbelievable.  I also had no problem watching action movies that didn't have explosions like Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator even "The Last Samurai".   But 300 was lacking in pretty much every major movie category necessity other than mindless action.  Didn't care about the plot, didn't care about the characters, thought every line was a throwaway line, throught it took itself way too seriously, thought it dragged at points, there was no humor, didn't care when the people died...  Just in general it was boring to me.  :)  

Again, hopefully they don't blow it with "The Watchmen", because I don't think that's a film that can rely just on the visuals and action.  

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If we're just talking about seeing a movie with some good ol fashioned action and fun, I can handle that.   It's not like I'm an elitist.   I liked "Don't Mess with the Zohan", which is considered a pretty bad movie.  In fact, if given the option right now to watch "Don't Mess with the Zohan" (goofy comedy and dumb action) or "300", (pretty boring movie with some nice visuals)... I'm going to go with "Don't Mess with the Zohan".   At least that movie knew it was stupid. 

I mean when you eliminate plot, dialogue, storyline, character development... and merely focus a movie on eye candy... it just ends up kind of boring to me.   It's just a personal opinion.   Yes, I admit the eye candy in "300" was pretty great.   But heck, I'll admit the eye candy in "What Dreams May Come" was pretty impressive too.  It didn't make it any less boring.  It was a movie about Robin Williams going through heaven and hell to save his wife.  But it was really just an excuse for them to have some pretty images flashing on the screen.   I don't see the difference between that movie and "300"... except that 300 has more testosterone and violence associated with their mindless visuals.   

The Rundown was better than 300? Really? Have you been hanging out with Josh Howard lately? Maybe chilled with the Birdman a little bit?

Yeah, actually.   Not to say the Rundown was very good, but it had a couple fun moments.  I liked the pygmy beating up on the Rock.  I liked some of the humor.  I liked Christopher Walken.  Good fun little movie with some action.   But just to back up my opinion (which is just an opinion, of course)... The Rundown got a 59 rating on Metacritic.  Higher than 300's 51 rating.  

And to comment on the person who mentioned "The Rock" (the movie starring NIck Cage and Sean Connery... not to be confused with the actor who starred in The Rundown).   "The Rock" was great.   It's practically an action classic.  Again, I'm perfectly fine with dumb action movies like The Rock, True Lies, even Con Air, because they have a good mix of action, story and character even if it was silly and unbelievable.  I also had no problem watching action movies that didn't have explosions like Braveheart, The Patriot, Gladiator even "The Last Samurai".   But 300 was lacking in pretty much every major movie category necessity other than mindless action.  Didn't care about the plot, didn't care about the characters, thought every line was a throwaway line, throught it took itself way too seriously, thought it dragged at points, there was no humor, didn't care when the people died...  Just in general it was boring to me.  :)  

Again, hopefully they don't blow it with "The Watchmen", because I don't think that's a film that can rely just on the visuals and action.  
No mention of my Josh Howard and Birdman comment? Come on that was funny stuff throw me a bone.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I think this is the basic point we're all trying to get at in comparing '300' and what 'Watchmen' looks like it's going to be.

http://www.agreeablecomics.com/therack/
Good find man.  Here's the comic in case anyone was too lazy to follow Pawtucket Pat's link:

And Evantime... maybe if I was hangin with Josh HOward and The Birdman, I would have found "300" to be an epic masterpiece.  :)

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Side note on 300.   I was just talking to Roy Hobbs and he reminded me of a couple points we discussed back when "300" initially came out...

I think the main failure of 300 was the director.  They were entirely faithful to the comic book, but it was to a fault.  They took panel by panel, line by line, image by image and basically made it dance as a movie.   I mean that level of dedication is impressive in the same way that the 1998 Gus Van Sant version of "Psycho" was impressive (not even a remake.  They meticulously recreated scene by scene)... but as a film I think 300 failed.  A good example of this working better is actually Sin City.  Again, the director was faithful to the imagery and art style... he was faithful to the tone and probably a lot of the dialogue, but it just worked a heck of a lot better as a movie than 300 did.   

The other point is that... personally, I felt the cut scenes in the videogame "God of War" had more character development and storyline than "300" did.  In fact, if given the choice of watching all the cut scenes of God of War or watching 300... I'm going with the cut scenes.   

And that could maybe spell doom for Watchmen, because it's the same hack director.

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I gotta pipe in to defend 300. I think it is an awesome movie!! The design, colors, choreography were gorgeous to look at. Everything about the movie was over the top and campy - the dialogue, the action, the slow motion, the manliness, even the physiques of the Spartans. The movie is camp, and not meant to be taken seriously.

Our arrows will blot out the sun.
Then we shall fight in the shade.

...not meant to be mistaken with Chinatown or the Godfather.

Is this movie for everyone? No. But to call it garbage is to miss the point of it.

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I gotta pipe in to defend 300. I think it is an awesome movie!! The design, colors, choreography were gorgeous to look at. Everything about the movie was over the top and campy - the dialogue, the action, the slow motion, the manliness, even the physiques of the Spartans. The movie is camp, and not meant to be taken seriously.

Our arrows will blot out the sun.
Then we shall fight in the shade.

...not meant to be mistaken with Chinatown or the Godfather.

Is this movie for everyone? No. But to call it garbage is to miss the point of it.

No no... you're thinking of "Meet the Spartans".   That one was intentionally campy.

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 08:49:58 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i just finished watching the trailer and the movie looks stupid.... i suppose it's just the cgi they have to add to it because of the nature of the comic. i'm not into movies like spiderman or ironman. i like vendetta and batman, the more realistic superheroes. this isn't a movie for me.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
On a scale from 1-5, 300 gets a 2. And that is all for the look of the movie. But I'd rather watch Sky Captain, for that type of special effect.

As for the Run Down, I give it 2.5. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »

Offline Reverie

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
There's a reason why Watchmen is the greatest graphic novel of all time.  Unfortunately, when it comes to telling a story, this director fails miserably.  I am hesitant about this movie because the graphic novel is truly a work of art and I don't think a movie can do it justice.