Author Topic: Generation Kill  (Read 11643 times)

Re: anyone else watching generation kill?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
just another unabashedly well done episode from the man, Ed Burns. I liked how they make Godfather look a little less "awesome". Captain America is getting on my nerves in a big way.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
just another unabashedly well done episode from the man, Ed Burns. I liked how they make Godfather look a little less "awesome". Captain America is getting on my nerves in a big way.

there doing a great job with him, from a love/hate perspective. for instance, in episode 2, he makes the right call in sending them through the town, and then you get that beautiful sunset scene where he's explaining it, and pretty much admits he did it to kiss the generals rear. just a great contrast between the scene and the content.

And again this episode this was done, I found his logic on not med evacing the kid frightingly air tight. i really couldn't argue, and then, just when i was ready to say "well, your still awful for not taking the almost no hope option of driving him back behind our lines" he goes and announces he's sending a platoon to take the kid back for treatment.

God father always keeps me guessing so far.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
You gotta feel bad for "Trombley" (played by Kevin from the Black Donnellys which was an awesome show).  The directives were to consider everyone hostile and now he is being investigated.

Ed Burns knows how to keep me coming back for more

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 05:22:26 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Again, aside from maybe the one or two soldiers in charge that I respect....the rest of them are a joke.

Can't believe they are "leaders" of platoons or squads.....even Godfather is a moron sometimes.

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Again, aside from maybe the one or two soldiers in charge that I respect....the rest of them are a joke.

Can't believe they are "leaders" of platoons or squads.....even Godfather is a moron sometimes.

scary part is in both books (from what ive heard, only read the reporters book so far, though i plan to pick up nate's in the near future) the idiots seem pretty consistent, which makes me sad since its not a TV only angle. at least then i could respect them and go "oh, thats just for TV". Flick (brad's  platoon leader) paints his company commander as a butt kisser who doesn't really understand tactics or leadership, and the rolling stone reporter places him much the same. That close fire mission where he would have killed his own guys to get a non-existent RPG team is constant in both books as well, from what ive heard.

worth noting is once the book broke, some of the guys who spoke more freely were forced out for speaking thier minds. Nate's book mentions garza (the guy with the white man speeches) as being forced down a rank and out of first recon, and apparently Peterson and flick took some flak too for being too frank about how they felt about being there.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
To keep this discussion away from being a political one, notice I'm leaving my personal opinions on the war out completely. I'm only discussing how things are portrayed on the show.

It's impossible for any writer to not have a slant. It does not happen. You can argue that both Generation Kill and The Wire have a somewhat liberal slant.

However, David Simon and Ed Burns do not leave out things that do not support their own opinions.

David Simon has said in countless interviews that his number one concern is getting it right, and doing justice to the people involved in the story. He is a journalist in every sense of the word.

This show is excellent. Everything that happens and is said is based on documented fact. It is clear that the makers of Generation Kill have the utmost respect for the young men who served in the Marine Corp.

I hated Ziggy on the Wire, but I like his character on the show. The South Park- Big Gay Al thing was one of the funniest parts.

I can't wait to see what these guys do next. I heard David Simon is working on a show about musicians in New Orleans, post Katrina.

I'm also glad to see this show has an audience. David Simon and Ed Burns are the best thing to happen to television, possibly ever.

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
To keep this discussion away from being a political one, notice I'm leaving my personal opinions on the war out completely. I'm only discussing how things are portrayed on the show.

It's impossible for any writer to not have a slant. It does not happen. You can argue that both Generation Kill and The Wire have a somewhat liberal slant.

However, David Simon and Ed Burns do not leave out things that do not support their own opinions.

David Simon has said in countless interviews that his number one concern is getting it right, and doing justice to the people involved in the story. He is a journalist in every sense of the word.

This show is excellent. Everything that happens and is said is based on documented fact. It is clear that the makers of Generation Kill have the utmost respect for the young men who served in the Marine Corp.

I hated Ziggy on the Wire, but I like his character on the show. The South Park- Big Gay Al thing was one of the funniest parts.

I can't wait to see what these guys do next. I heard David Simon is working on a show about musicians in New Orleans, post Katrina.

I'm also glad to see this show has an audience. David Simon and Ed Burns are the best thing to happen to television, possibly ever.

Ed Burns is working on a movie based on Omar's life (from the wire). Not actually Omar but the real life guy he is based on. That will be awesome.

Also hated me some ziggy, but love him in this. Another redeemed character from the wire? Tully from 'Kids', played Bubs' junkie friend, Saw him as a guest on my name is earl. Like him way better there. I think his name was "Johnny" on the Wire.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 11:37:15 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
really liked this weeks episode, saw some redemption on captain america's part. Loved doc taking it to encino man, and just the tone of the show in general, showing them dealing with thier mistake at the air field.

The guys in alpha dictating what thre LT and meesh were saying after they dropped 11,000 pounds of ordanance in the middle of nowhere might have been one of the funniest parts of the show.

Also, liked how it came full circle, from garza dismissing killing civillans as "part of war" and kinda of shrugging it off to him being torn when he had to defend the road block later. and it showed how ray kind of consideres himself the moral officer of brad's team. the line at the end after he got them to sing at the end was great.  

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45

Ed Burns is working on a movie based on Omar's life (from the wire). Not actually Omar but the real life guy he is based on. That will be awesome.

Awesome. Do you have a link?