Author Topic: Nachbar signs in Russia  (Read 3681 times)

Nachbar signs in Russia
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Bostjan Nachbar is the latest NBA player to choose the euro over the dollar.

Nachbar has agreed to a three-year contract with Dynamo Moscow, a deal that will pay the former New Jersey Nets small forward $14.3 million, he told ESPN.com early Monday.

The contract, worth 9 million euros, will include affordable buyout clauses after each season to allow him to explore the option of returning to the NBA, and Nachbar said he was keeping a close eye on how the salary cap situation in the summer of 2010 will impact his prospects of returning to the NBA.

Nachbar averaged 9.8 points last season for New Jersey in his sixth NBA season.

Link.

I liked Nachbar as a fit for this team, but obviously that's not going to happen.  Our options to fill the backup "3" position are starting to dwindle.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Nachbar signs in Russia
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:52:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Good decision by Nachbar. He wasn't going to get paid the contract he deserved here in the NBA.

Don't like it when quality players like himself and Delfino leave the NBA.

Brezec left for Roma also, but he's a very poor player so who cares?

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:10:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Yeah, true, Who.  Both Nachbar and Delfino got paid more money than they would have seen here (Nachbar's was fair, Delfino's is ridiculous), and both negotiated opt-out clauses to return to the NBA if they want to next off-season or the one after.

I'm not sure how the NBA combats this trend, frankly.  It's market economics at work, and I'm assuming you'll see more and more third- and fourth-tier NBA players playing overseas, especially when they didn't grow up in the United States.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Good deal for both parts.

Delfino got a similar contract, Roy, € 9 million for 3 years. And he's a better FIBA basketball player than Nachbar.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Delfino got a similar contract, Roy, € 9 million for 3 years.

Ah, okay.  Initial reports were three years, $30 million.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:35:25 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
To be honest with you guys the Euro leagues are starting to worry me a bit. It seems that the NBA can't keep its role players in the league. Yeah the superstars stay but team basketball can't happen without guys like Nachbar. Yeah guys like Delfino and Brezec were a bit overmatched here but good depth guys to have on your team and at practice. Another guys that bolted for Europe was Juan Carlos Navarro, he has a solid year for Memphis and could have increased productivity if he stayed in the NBA. Now we have Olmpiakos throwing $ at Josh Childress, a top 6th man in the NBA. I am not liking this trend guys.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=827103
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think Jorge Garbojosa is rumored to be heading back to Europe too.   

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Yeah, true, Who.  Both Nachbar and Delfino got paid more money than they would have seen here (Nachbar's was fair, Delfino's is ridiculous), and both negotiated opt-out clauses to return to the NBA if they want to next off-season or the one after.

I'm not sure how the NBA combats this trend, frankly.  It's market economics at work, and I'm assuming you'll see more and more third- and fourth-tier NBA players playing overseas, especially when they didn't grow up in the United States.

that's why the olympics really are not a good representation of individual country's talents. pretty soon the nba will be the wba: world basketball association and stern will be smiling.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
To be honest with you guys the Euro leagues are starting to worry me a bit. It seems that the NBA can't keep its role players in the league. Yeah the superstars stay but team basketball can't happen without guys like Nachbar. Yeah guys like Delfino and Brezec were a bit overmatched here but good depth guys to have on your team and at practice. Another guys that bolted for Europe was Juan Carlos Navarro, he has a solid year for Memphis and could have increased productivity if he stayed in the NBA. Now we have Olmpiakos throwing $ at Josh Childress, a top 6th man in the NBA. I am not liking this trend guys.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=827103

I am not worried about the trend.  In the short term it just means that "ready to contribute" players from college will get drafted higher -- players like Powe, for example -- because they can step in and play a role right away. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 02:08:14 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Surprise, surprise...? Not really. European players come over here to play, they make their mark and name semi known by playing off the bench on playoff teams, or playing big for garbage teams, then they leave and go back home for big bucks. No love loss there. Nachbar is a good bench offense, but that's it. He can make more money there than what he can prove himself for in the States.
Can't stop, Rondo!