Author Topic: You got to root for this kid! Gerald Green  (Read 19612 times)

Re: You got to root for this kid! Gerald Green
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The only thing we know for sure is that if he went to college, he would have entered the NBA a year older.

I don't know that for sure. There's a chance that he'd never make the NBA if he went to college. His lack of understanding of the game would be exposed there. He'd probably be a 2nd round pick, maybe he wouldn't go further than a training camp. From this point of view, it was a smart decision of him.

Also, as I've argued previously, I think the problem with many players like Green is before the college. College coaches shouldn't have to deal with players so raw as Gerald. They are focused primarily on winning, as they should.   
Even if Gerald went to college, there's no guarantee he'd ever be able to make it on the floor. He would still have to be academically eligible to play.

I know the sports factories tend to make it so that a block of wood could graduate from their schools with a degree in physical education, but we're talking about Gerald Green. Okay that wasn't nice, sorry Gerald.  

But Gerald might not be smart enough to realize that he would just have to show up for class to pass the course and be on academic probation after the first semester.

If Gerald is a poster boy for anything it is that he is the specific type of player that a year of college would expose as a fraud of a player. I think in many cases this was what the NBA was trying to protect themselves from with the increased age limit, exposing the Geralds, Kwames, and Darkos of the world by having them spend a year on a Euro team or a college team. If their immaturity and/or lack of intelligence shows and teams do their due diligence in scouting them by interviewing the coaches and assistants, there will be a lot less wasted millions going to guys that don't deserve them.

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Quote from: zerophase
what are you sayin? denver would have been perfect. all offense, and not any semblance of defense- that sounds like gerald's dream world to me.

I think at this point in his career it would behoove Gerald to be around a few grownups.  I also think that Karl is a great coach.  But like Rivers, he tends to throw his role players under the bus while ignoring the shortcomings of the team's best players.  Not good when the maturity level of your team's core is that of a teenager.

Carlisle is more of a straight shooter.  Also with Kidd and a cast of grown-up vets around Green, Gerald will have a much better chance.

Agree with cordebes' last post.

A team with the thugster, Mr Snitch, Martin, and Smith as your best players would be far from what Gerald needs....Regardless of the type of ball they play.  

my post was sarcasm?  ::)

Become Legendary.

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 01:07:43 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
If Gerald is a poster boy for anything it is that he is the specific type of player that a year of college would expose as a fraud of a player. I think in many cases this was what the NBA was trying to protect themselves from with the increased age limit, exposing the Geralds, Kwames, and Darkos of the world by having them spend a year on a Euro team or a college team. If their immaturity and/or lack of intelligence shows and teams do their due diligence in scouting them by interviewing the coaches and assistants, there will be a lot less wasted millions going to guys that don't deserve them.

Of course your exactly right. The age limit thing is such that NBA franchises don't get locked into guaranteed contracts for guys who can't play. If GMs could pit the best players available against eachother in scrimmages - as well as scrimmaging with their current players they could eliminate alot of mistakes. College helps them do this because compared to HS the guys are going against tougher competition.

It's far from perfect though because some conferences are very weak - ones like the Mountain West. Is say Giddens a top flight NBA talent or did he just beat up on scrubs. We are going to find out..

As for GG - he has SOME physical ability but not much knack for the game of basketball. I am kinda of ashamed to admit this but I once rooted for Kedrick Brown. He had the same kind of problem. All kinds of physical ability (far more then GG IMHO as he was phsyically much stronger and laterally quick) but not much of a knack for hoops. Guys like PP OTOH instantly upon getting into the NBA you could see they just had "it."

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 02:37:38 AM »

Offline Jay_Diggles

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I do not think anyone can speculate that college would have not helped Kobe, Gerald or any high school project.  Anyone in the right environment will progress.  But the ability/talent of Kobe, KG, Howard could have bloosmed faster with college experience, but also shortned their NBA carear.  But in this case Gerald is individual proof that college experience what have made a major impact in his progress in the NBA!

Very illogical.

Of course you can speculate that they benefited more from being in the NBA right away. You can speculate either way. The only thing you can't speculate about is them getting paid for their efforts in college. Kobe, Lebron, Amare and Howard might have blossomed slower if they played against weaker college competition first. We'll never know, so it is silly to debate.

Gerald is proof of nothing. The only thing we know for sure is that if he went to college, he would have entered the NBA a year older. We can assume that the extra year would have included some emotional and physical development whether more or less than what would happen in our non-college-attending parallel universe. There are plenty of Harold Miner types that came to NBA with great talent after college but did nothing.

Stop looking for things to blame. The dude is what he is: a mediocre prospect.

"Anyone in the right environment will progress."

Uh, no. Not true. people have limitations and can plateau. Also, even in the ideal environment, some people who can progress will progress slowly and not that far.

When I speak the right environment...I mean a professional/challenging/developing environment.  He was one year removed from High School, where he was GOD.  No real love or passion for basketball.    Right now Gerald is playing with some of the best bball players in the world.  He is a professional.  And person, weather in sports, a 9-5 to 5 job, college..ect.  A place were mediocre people are left behind and weeded out.  A system of professinals will develop anyone.  Gerald has been on a rebuilding team(Celtics)...and at times barried on the bench, Minni...limitted minutes, Rockets...no time and now in Dallas who knows. 

My point is if he would have gone to college and stayed 4 years in a system, with a envioronmet focusuing on him more as an individual he would be a better NBA player.  He is a pefect exzmple of the NBA age limit.  NBA quality of basketball will be better with older, developed players like ryan gomes.  He has 1/2 the ability, but twice as much experience and IQ for the game, because of his environment. 

But your right it is a silly argument.  I just have a spot for these young group of Celtic drafties because I watched them grow together and at one point they all slowed glimmers of a future exciting team.

Rondo/West
T Allen/Green/West
Green/Gomes
Al J/Gomes
Perk...

Fun..so fun that I wish we had the Big 3 and all these as our bench players with Powe/Babby and House! 

I just would have to lose to minni because of either Gomes/Al or bassy hitting a last minute shot...or West in clevland...or Green in Dallas.  But I wish them the individual sucsess......just not vs us!
Diggles