Author Topic: You got to root for this kid! Gerald Green  (Read 19690 times)

Re: You got to root for this kid! Greald Green
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I've been watching quite a lot of Gerald Green in the Vegas league and his offense is nearly laughable. He just doesn't understand the game, and I'm sure he never will.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I've been watching quite a lot of Gerald Green in the Vegas league and his offense is nearly laughable. He just doesn't understand the game, and I'm sure he never will.

never say never. you'd be surprised what 10 years can do to a player. see gerald when he's in his prime, 29, 30ish. he might actually be decent... maybe... okay maybe not.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Here's an interesting article about Gerald, blaming his lack of fundamentals on his AAU days.
Ultimately, it is up to each player to put the work in. You can't blame the system.

Well, you can blame the system when there isn't one....As in the "defense" he was "taught" his first two years in the NBA.

Still disgruntled plowboy?

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 01:06:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Green has one assist in four games and 86 minutes.  He's 5-11 from beyond the arc, but 9 for 27 inside it.  Did he model his game on that autistic kid from upstate New York. J-Mac? Is that the kind of numbers a three year NBA vet should be putting up in summer league? 

This guy needs to go somewhere (Europe, D League, Philippines) and play basketball for a year or two and actually learn how to play. If GG can't at least develop an in between game, he won't be an NBA player.   

Man, that would be funny watching him in the PBA (Philippines Basketball Association). That would be a really bad move. "Imports" there are practically given free reign. He would basically play one on one against the other teams import.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »

Offline repole

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I love that people have constantly questioned Gerald's IQ as a person (constantly referencing how he sounds stupid when he talks), yet when he starts to say the right things and sounds like a maturing individual, people try to say that he's always "talked the talk."

If you think Gerald's sincere in what he says, there's a lot to be optimistic about. People are right that Gerald didn't work as hard as he should have while he was here, it was easy to see. The kid had an ego the size of a superstar, and it took getting traded for a 2nd round pick and then cut by his hometown team to wake him up. If you want to talk about "walking the walk," realize that last year Gerald resented having the play in the summer league, feeling he was past that. This year, he volunteered to play for the Mavs SL team despite already signing the guarenteed contract.

To me, the biggest sign that Gerald's matured to me is that he took less money to play for Dallas. A guy who's on the brink of being out of the NBA doesn't take less money and less security unless they plan on doing everything in their power to stay in the league. A less mature kid takes the top dollar offer, but Gerald recognized that Dallas was the best situation available to turn his career around.

It's pretty clear to me at least that Gerald's working his ass off now and is sincere in his efforts to turn things around. If that is in fact the case, I'm still confident he'll be a productive scorer, because to me the only thing that's prevented him from developing into such quicker was his effort and desire. Hopefully he makes a lot of people look stupid...

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Maybe Gerald went to Dallas because of the video games at each locker in the locker room.

It was a smart choice, since Jason Kidd can make a one dimensional jumping jack a lot of money in the NBA <cough cough KMart cough cough>

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
To me, the biggest sign that Gerald's matured to me is that he took less money to play for Dallas. A guy who's on the brink of being out of the NBA doesn't take less money and less security unless they plan on doing everything in their power to stay in the league. A less mature kid takes the top dollar offer, but Gerald recognized that Dallas was the best situation available to turn his career around.

Who offered him more?

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I love that people have constantly questioned Gerald's IQ as a person (constantly referencing how he sounds stupid when he talks), yet when he starts to say the right things and sounds like a maturing individual, people try to say that he's always "talked the talk."
I don't remember anyone referencing "how stupid he sounds when he talks". As a matter of fact, I've heard guys who sound way more stupid when talking and are better basketball players than him.

OTOH, what has been referenced is the fact that he was suspended from the team for academic problems in highschool(!), as well as the fact that he spent 2 seasons at the our team without being able to demonstrate basic understanding or knowledge of the Celtics playbook. I am afraid that Gerald's cognitive abilities are inferior to an extent to which they start interfering with his development as a basketball player, of all things.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Here's an interesting article about Gerald, blaming his lack of fundamentals on his AAU days.
Ultimately, it is up to each player to put the work in. You can't blame the system.

Well, you can blame the system when there isn't one....As in the "defense" he was "taught" his first two years in the NBA.
And after being spoon-fed minutes on what was at least a passable offensive team, he still remains atrocious in any sort of offensive set? Sure works well in support of your "theory".

I understand that this post is a weak attempt of taking a shot at Doc's work, but you have to do better than that, you know.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 02:14:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I don't remember anyone referencing "how stupid he sounds when he talks". As a matter of fact, I've heard guys who sound way more stupid when talking and are better basketball players than him.

OTOH, what has been referenced is the fact that he was suspended from the team for academic problems in highschool(!), as well as the fact that he spent 2 seasons at the our team without being able to demonstrate basic understanding or knowledge of the Celtics playbook. I am afraid that Gerald's cognitive abilities are inferior to an extent to which they start interfering with his development as a basketball player, of all things.

I've mentioned how horrible he is at communicating in interviews. I have no idea if he is an idiot in general, but there is a statistical correlation.

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I disagree here, kozlodoev. Autodidacticism is a very bad way of learning the game. Generally, doesn't work, kids can't learn by themselves. And basketball is not an easy game to learn. Also, fundamentals are essentially a matter of practice, hence of good coaching. It's insane to believe that a 15 or 16 years old kid is going to go home and practice a boring drill, where he won't be bouncing or shooting the basketball, by himself. He's going to try to dunk, do reverse dribbles, make crazy lay-ups, play 1-on-1 games. But if he doesn't practice fundamentals, and execute the right way all the times he's practicing them, he won't learn, because basketball fundamentals are basically something that's acquired by habit, almost in an unconscious way.

I've been thinking for years that high-school coaches in America are doing a terrible job, because of how American young players suffer from a severe lacking of fundamentals.

I try to follow youth international tournaments. Every time I have the chance to attend one, I'm amazed by how the American players, who have all that incredible raw talent and athleticism, so far superior to those of other kids, are  overplayed and defeated, because they lack basic basketball skills. I think that the last time an US team won the U19 World Championship was like 18 years ago. This should raise a red flag to American youth coaches, I think.  

That's one of the reasons why USA team have been struggling in international tournaments. When playing a game more based on fundamentals, where athleticism and physical prowess are not so decisive, their talent advantage becomes severely shortened.

I've coached some youth teams myself. Watching some NCAA Tournament games this year, I saw a player that was drafted with a lotto pick (curiously, one that wasn't nurtured in AAU; but still a player in his 3rd college season, not a freshman) displaying a problem that I've never seen in any of my players older than 15 years old, crossing the legs when sliding, something that even the less talented or athletically gifted kids learn after 1 year of practice. It's disturbing how nobody took the time to correct such a basic fundamental.  

I understand where you're coming from - e.g. Green had plenty of time and chances to correct his game - but the problem is that some basketball fundamentals become harder to learn at a later stage, because in the meanwhile players acquire vices, wrong mechanics, that are increasingly difficult to reverse. And if you don't grasp the understanding of the game at a lower level, even a basic understanding, it'll be very difficult to do it in a league like the NBA. The same way it's hard to teach to an economics student who was never taught how the offer/demand curves equate the Arrow-Debreu model.

I believe coaches have an ethical responsibility towards their players and the game. Many coaches aren't complying with that responsibility - and although it certainly is a worldwide problem, is more evident and deeper in the US, I think. I understand that it's not easy for coaches, the system of incentives pushes things towards the "wrong" way. But I believe they could do more. It's not like they lack competence or qualifications, quite the contrary.

And it's also a shame to NBA fans, because the quality of the game isn't as good as it could be; and some players with potential never fulfill it.

Re: You got to root for this kid! Gerald Green
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
It's funny watching Gerald in the two summer league games I saw of him. He's actually making a few veteran plays and he's still dumb in comparison to other players on the court.

He's just so far behind.

My thoughts exactly. I got to watch him yesterday. There was one play that I was in shock... he took the ball the length of the floor, put on a fluid stutter step, got around a defender, and then kicked the ball out to an open shooter rather than forcing his own off-balance runner. I thought to myself "Nice play, but did I really just see Gerald Green do that?"

Moments later, Aaron Miles was dribbling at the top of the key. Gerald was doing his usual standing on the corner, clapping his hands and calling for the ball. Miles noticed his other wing in motion on the right side of the floor and dished it to him. Once that happened, Gerald slapped his hands together, sulked, muttered to himself, and looked off to the side in the middle of the play.

But that's not the best part... that exact play was eventually broken, and Gerald ended up with the ball on the left baseline as the shot clock was winding down. After all that hand clapping, all that pouting, all that bitterness towards Miles who did not pass him the ball when he called for it... Gerald ended up missing a wide open layup to close out that play.

I want Gerald to succeed, but I couldn't help but laugh on that play.

He's a freak athlete, he can shoot, and I will say that his body looks MUCH better now. With that said, he's still as immature as they come and he has a real attitude problem that he needs to adjust.

I predict that he will not make it through this entire season in Dallas, and if he does, he won't earn significant playing time. I see a Josh Childress-esque move in his future... except for Gerald, it won't be by choice.

EDIT: May this be the last Gerald Green thread in CelticsBlog history (won't happen but hey, it's worth a try).
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 03:11:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Who offered him more?

i was wondering that too, i never heard of another offer, never mind a higer offer....
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: You got to root for this kid! Gerald Green
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Roy. That article stunk. Here are SOME of the former AAU players that have made it to the NBA.

Amare Stoudaimere
Allen Iverson.
Shaquille ONeal.
Danny Ainge.
Alonzo Mourning.
Danny Ferry
Derek Fisher

Gerald Green is just not a very good basketball player. He is not a very bright guy as he academic problems in HS and had trouble on his ACT. He doesn't know the game - and he doesn't work to master it.

Pete

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It's funny watching Gerald in the two summer league games I saw of him. He's actually making a few veteran plays and he's still dumb in comparison to other players on the court.

He's just so far behind.

Proof positive: 4 years of college can help even the most gifted athletes.
Case in point, Gerald is a poster boy for the NBA age limit rule.