Author Topic: You got to root for this kid! Gerald Green  (Read 19686 times)

Re: You got to root for this kid! Greald Green
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 12:41:06 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Gerald Green...One of those players that looks great on a fast break dunk, but ...that's it. His D is sub-par, his shooting is way too inconsistent. He is one of those 12th man players, maybe the best of the 12th man players. he could go up a few bench seats, but not good enough for starting 5 or 6th man. Leave Gerald to have fun in Dallas where the 2nd round is a complete mystery to them now
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 12:46:46 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Green has one assist in four games and 86 minutes.  He's 5-11 from beyond the arc, but 9 for 27 inside it.  Did he model his game on that autistic kid from upstate New York. J-Mac? Is that the kind of numbers a three year NBA vet should be putting up in summer league?

This guy needs to go somewhere (Europe, D League, Philippines) and play basketball for a year or two and actually learn how to play. If GG can't at least develop an in between game, he won't be an NBA player.   

You know what's funny about this statement? I hate the Gerald Green threads as much as anybody. I usually don't post in them and I try my best to avoid them but this I couldn't pass up: I would bet a ton that if Green was actually lighting up the Summer League, this same poster would dismiss the numbers as "Oh, it's just the Summer League, it means nothing."

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 01:00:43 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
I would respect Gerald if I got the impression that he has ever busted his butt on an NBA court for any extended period of time.

Ever.

The kind of player I can root for is one that might not be as athletically gifted as others, but still works hard. Learns the game. Finds a way to make his skill set work for him.

Gerald is clearly athletically gifted, more so than a lot of active players in the league. He has a natural ability, that a lot of people would KILL to have, and has done nothing with it.

He had his shot, he blew it.

He can win a dunk contest, but he doesn't have the discipline to crack a starting rotation, or even hold down a spot on the bench.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 08:05:01 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Game One: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs

There's still a few days left in the Revue and a couple lottery picks just entered the race, but so far Gerald Green has been the best player in Salt Lake. Today he led the Mavericks to an 84-77 victory against the San Antonio Spurs with 27 points.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9560

Good for Gerald.  :)

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 08:51:53 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
April 10, 2007, Green scored a career high 33 points (12-22 FG, 4-5 3FG) at Atlanta

:(

crickets...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's an interesting article about Gerald, blaming his lack of fundamentals on his AAU days.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 09:05:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Here's an interesting article about Gerald, blaming his lack of fundamentals on his AAU days.

thanks for the link, but for Green it has always been a mental problem i believe. physically he is talented, no doubt.

but he is dumb to the point where he does not fully understand he is BB dumb. he still believes his physical talent alone will suffice.

next, he is not a hard worker, at least not enough for the nba level. he prefers to cruise on his talents rather than develop them.

finally, maturity has never, ever been his strong point. does anyone remember the story of when ainge went to pick green up at the airport? green had forgotten to pack his sneakers i believe. and then on the way in, green, a rookie, asked ainge, the GM, to stop by a store to pick up rubberbands for green's hair.

too little physical talent to overcome that too mental and emotional shortcomings.

if green could not make spectacular slamdunks, would anyone on this board care anymore?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Ultimately, it is up to each player to put the work in. You can't blame the system.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 09:43:59 AM »

Offline Soy Reek

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
You gotta root for Gerald Green.  He finally realized that wearing a headband on the top of his head, like a Jr. High School girl, just isn't cool.  So, he is becoming a man...slowly; he just isn't becoming a basketball player.  Gerald Green will be just like me someday soon, watching NBA games on TV.

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »

Offline mhbhaecceity09

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
 Hopefully, GG gets it figured out and hangs around the league for a while (if nothing else, he's a decent kid). He's the poster boy for players that learned to play watching the NBA's current stars on TV: doesn't see or do the little things, only goes hard with the ball in his hands, is exclusively a one on one offensive force, lacks the competitive playground mano v. mano pride that drove the early players and still drives the great ones.  Some people are athletes and some people are players; Gerald is the former.  Fortunately, I think DA has learned his lesson and, despite drafting for athleticism this year, attempted to pursue guys that demonstrated a love for and commitment to the game through overcoming adversity, thriving in competition, and striving for success.  Whether Walker or Giddens become great or even good NBA players remains to be seen; whether they will strive in the arena and, if they fail, fail while daring greatly remains beyond question.   

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Green has one assist in four games and 86 minutes.  He's 5-11 from beyond the arc, but 9 for 27 inside it.  Did he model his game on that autistic kid from upstate New York. J-Mac? Is that the kind of numbers a three year NBA vet should be putting up in summer league?

This guy needs to go somewhere (Europe, D League, Philippines) and play basketball for a year or two and actually learn how to play. If GG can't at least develop an in between game, he won't be an NBA player.   

You know what's funny about this statement? I hate the Gerald Green threads as much as anybody. I usually don't post in them and I try my best to avoid them but this I couldn't pass up: I would bet a ton that if Green was actually lighting up the Summer League, this same poster would dismiss the numbers as "Oh, it's just the Summer League, it means nothing."

I'm amazed that you can predict what I would and wouldn't say.  You are as prescient as your hero GG is well rounded as a ballplayer.

If those numbers for a fourth year guy in summer league don't tell you anything, you are hopeless.  I've watched tons of summer league play, on TV from Las Vegas, and as an attendee for many year when they had it in Boston.  I used to go almost every night.  I've watched almost every summer league game on NBATV this summer, even though my team doesn't have an entrant.  You're writing about the wrong guy if you think I'm talking out of my hat here. 

I've seen with my own eyes in person what guys with a few years of NBA experience can do in a summer league, when I watched a limited guy like John Salmons or Kedrick Brown dominate games. I can usually pick out a prospective NBA player after watching him one or two times.  I tagged Udonis Haslem as a player when I first saw him at UMass Boston his first year back from Europe, when he quietly controlled the paint one game.      Gerald Green hasn't looked like much of a player this summer.  I'm not a green hater (I've actually written that the guy has top ten per cent  physical tools to be an NBA star), but the guy just can't get it together.     

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Ultimately, it is up to each player to put the work in. You can't blame the system.

Well, you can blame the system when there isn't one....As in the "defense" he was "taught" his first two years in the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I'm amazed that you can predict what I would and wouldn't say.  You are as prescient as your hero GG is well rounded as a ballplayer.

If those numbers for a fourth year guy in summer league don't tell you anything, you are hopeless.  I've watched tons of summer league play, on TV from Las Vegas, and as an attendee for many year when they had it in Boston.  I used to go almost every night.  I've watched almost every summer league game on NBATV this summer, even though my team doesn't have an entrant.  You're writing about the wrong guy if you think I'm talking out of my hat here. 

I've seen with my own eyes in person what guys with a few years of NBA experience can do in a summer league, when I watched a limited guy like John Salmons or Kedrick Brown dominate games. I can usually pick out a prospective NBA player after watching him one or two times.  I tagged Udonis Haslem as a player when I first saw him at UMass Boston his first year back from Europe, when he quietly controlled the paint one game.      Gerald Green hasn't looked like much of a player this summer.  I'm not a green hater (I've actually written that the guy has top ten per cent  physical tools to be an NBA star), but the guy just can't get it together.     

to be fair, GG is lighting up the summer league since you made the first post. he's destroyign teams currently.

I'm not saying he's suddenly not GG, i still think he's a kid with alot of talent who doesnt work hard, but just saying  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I will root for Gerald.

I watched every game he played for us and I was under the impression that he did play hard out there, and he was one of my favorite players from that dismal season.

Players don't need to be all stars for me to like them.

I was the first person to say Gerald will succeed in a Mavs uniform and I might be wrong but it doesn't matter because if he fails and goes overseas I will root for him there too.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Did you read the article?  In this case, both the player and the system are at fault.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions