Author Topic: Lue wanted more money...  (Read 6075 times)

Lue wanted more money...
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »

Offline Tromply7

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Lue said. "We were trying to get it done there for so long. I don't know why an extra [$600,000] was a big deal. I would have taken less than I took with Milwaukee. But they didn't want to do it." -- The Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/18/obryant_excited_to_get_his_shot/?page=full

Hmm, now here's a good question.  What would you do with only $600,000 a year?  I think after investing half, buying a car, paying for college, and upgrading my TV, I'd still have more than I need...

I wish I could complain like that!   ;D

Re: Lue wanted more money...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
gotta feed the kids

but really, in the NBA the paychecks are as much about respect as anything else - and it is a different world over there, I honestly don't blame players for wanting more money because its the way everything works, keeps the owners in check
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
For $600k, Lue gave away the possibility of playing for a championship.   I guess the two he won earlier in his career as a bit player are enough. 

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:29:10 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Guys like Lue and House need to make as much money as possible. These type of guys have never had the big pay check and they try to live the NBA lifestyle. Can't blame them for getting as much as they can. Guys like Cassell, G Payton have got the big pay checks and can afford to take the min to get a ring.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For $600k, Lue gave away the possibility of playing for a championship.   I guess the two he won earlier in his career as a bit player are enough. 
Not really, since he signed for over 2 million per year. So the possibility of playing for a championship was compensated for by close to 2.5 million.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:53:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I hate that quote... "I dont know why an extra 600,000 was such a big deal"... If it wasnt such a big deal why wouldnt he have taken the pay cut? Moron, Im so glad he didnt sign here...And where do you get the over 2 a year number? Im pretty sure he signed for 1.8 a year.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:18:19 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Lue will always be the guy holding Iverson's jersey/wrist in the finals in 2001, and getting all the calls because he was on a fraudulent Lakers team that was handed championships. Give me Eddie House any day over Tywrong Lueser.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think it was just 600,000 anyways when you look at it from the C's perspective.  They were probably offering the minimum, and he wanted 600,000 more.  However if the C's give him that, then they would not only be giving up part of (if not all of) one of their exceptions, but it would cost them significantly more money.  Since the NBA pays for half of the vet minimum, then it doubles the amount...and then you take into account the luxury tax, it doubles again.  So you are talking about it costing the C's something in the range of $2 million dollars more, for him to make $600,000 more (That is off the top of my head, so forgive me if my math is bad).

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Guys, this is TYRONN LUE we're talking about.  Who cares if he's coming to Boston or not?  We can just sign one of the 500 other undersized, shoot-first point guards that are available.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 11:58:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Since the NBA pays for half of the vet minimum, then it doubles the amount...

You're absolutely right about the cost in actual dollars, Chris.  I did want to clarify the above, though, because some people seem confused.  The NBA doesn't pay half the vet minimum.  For vets who sign deals for one year or less at the minimum, the team signing them only pays the equivalent of the minimum for a two-year vet (this year, $797k).  The league picks up the balance of the minimum salary based upon the player's service time.  In this case, Lue is a 10+ year vet, so he'd make just over $1.2 million.  So, the league pays $400k of the $1.2m salary.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:04:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You're absolutely right about the cost in actual dollars, Chris.  I did want to clarify the above, though, because some people seem confused.  The NBA doesn't pay half the vet minimum.  For vets who sign deals for one year or less at the minimum, the team signing them only pays the equivalent of the minimum for a two-year vet (this year, $797k).  The league picks up the balance of the minimum salary based upon the player's service time.  In this case, Lue is a 10+ year vet, so he'd make just over $1.2 million.  So, the league pays $400k of the $1.2m salary.
So since the Celtics are over the luxury tax threshold alreay wouldn't they have had to pay an extra $800K in penalty for Lue as compared to another $1.8 million if he signed for that amount?

Looking at it that way the difference is close to $2.2 million or more money than he wanted to sign for.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

So since the Celtics are over the luxury tax threshold alreay wouldn't they have had to pay an extra $800K in penalty for Lue as compared to another $1.8 million if he signed for that amount?

Looking at it that way the difference is close to $2.2 million or more money than he wanted to sign for.

Yeah.  We did this in another thread, but in terms of actual dollars:

$1.8 million contract = $3.6m actual dollars ($1.8 million + $1.8 million luxury tax penalty)

$1.2 million minimum contract = $1.6m actual dollars ($800k + $800k; NBA pays Lue roughly $400k)

Difference = $2 million.

The actual numbers are very slightly off, because the Celts would have really paid Lue $797k, and the vet minimum is a shade over $1.2m.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 12:23:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah.  We did this in another thread, but in terms of actual dollars:

$1.8 million contract = $3.6m actual dollars ($1.8 million + $1.8 million luxury tax penalty)

$1.2 million minimum contract = $1.6m actual dollars ($800k + $800k; NBA pays Lue roughly $400k)

Difference = $2 million.

The actual numbers are very slightly off, because the Celts would have really paid Lue $797k, and the vet minimum is a shade over $1.2m.
Yeah, I know it's a repeat but in this context it makes Lue look like an even big jerk than he's coming off like with that $600K comment. Fans aren't dumb and trying to take a bit of a passive agressive slap in Boston's direction after already signing with someone else is insulting to our intelligence.

He's trying to make it look to the Celtics fans and others around the league, like the Celtics were being extremely cheap as $600K in sports today isn't considered a lot. But if he had correctly stated that "I wanted $1.8 million and they only wanted to pay me $1.2 million. The difference is only $2 million I don't see what the big deal is?!" He would have been more correct and painted a true picture.

He knew it was more than that. Players aren't that dumb. I hope he enjoys sitting on the bench in that exciting winter wonderland that is Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 01:28:55 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The idea of Lue originally sounded good, with him being close friends with KG. But KG is also good friends with Marbury, so I can't go on that anymore. Lue has that attitude with him ever since Iverson crossed him up and shot on him, so let him go and let's focus on keeping the championship team together. sign House for half the mid level.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 02:34:41 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I really can't blame him. He has already won championships and he has never got a huge contract. Milwaukee can have him.