Author Topic: Why not make offers to...  (Read 4284 times)

Why not make offers to...
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:54:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why not make offers to J.R. Smith or Luol Deng? These guys are restricted but they might only make the MLE unless they head to Memphis. Either of these guys will probably play for far more but if they cant get the money why  not use the MLE. Its probably too far fetched i am sure but it doesnt hurt to offer. We all thought Magette might sign for the MLE theres a chance these guys would do the same. Take a cut to play for a winner before trying to cash in again in a couple years....Any thoughts?

Re: Why not make offers to...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Their teams would match....meaning only a sign and trade would work...who do we have to trade that is a match?

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Why not make offers to J.R. Smith or Luol Deng? These guys are restricted but they might only make the MLE unless they head to Memphis. Either of these guys will probably play for far more but if they cant get the money why  not use the MLE. Its probably too far fetched i am sure but it doesnt hurt to offer. We all thought Magette might sign for the MLE theres a chance these guys would do the same. Take a cut to play for a winner before trying to cash in again in a couple years....Any thoughts?

A nice idea, but we don't have the money.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Their teams will match.

I would make offers to Matt Barnes, Kurt Thomas and Eddie House.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 01:38:06 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

I'm glad someone else is digging JR.  I think he would be an excellent bench player for us.  Extremely athletic, plays good D and nails 3's all day.  He's the type of player that could flourish under the right system and culture.

I would consider a trade for him, he's just what we need. 
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So, Deng can play for $4.4 million this season, become an unrestricted free agent next year, and see a sizable raise (where the absolute worst he will do is the MLE), or he can lock himself into a long-term deal starting at $5.6 million, where he is underpaid for the next five years.

Deng isn't taking the MLE.  He's too good, and too young.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I'm glad someone else is digging JR.  I think he would be an excellent bench player for us.  Extremely athletic, plays good D and nails 3's all day.  He's the type of player that could flourish under the right system and culture.

I would consider a trade for him, he's just what we need. 

I agree overall with the idea that Smith is the sort of player who could be dynamic off the bench for the green.  One of the league's top gunners at this point, and he shoots a high percentage from the outside.

However, it is my understanding that his game includes little to no D, and the character questions could come up once more as well.

That said, I like the thinking as far as bringing in a guy who would be a difference-maker.  Not sure it's feasible though.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
So, Deng can play for $4.4 million this season, become an unrestricted free agent next year, and see a sizable raise (where the absolute worst he will do is the MLE), or he can lock himself into a long-term deal starting at $5.6 million, where he is underpaid for the next five years.

It appears that both of these guys might end up signing a one year deal for an MLE offer. Why not make an offer the worst that can happen is they stay with their teams.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

It appears that both of these guys might end up signing a one year deal for an MLE offer. Why not make an offer the worst that can happen is they stay with their teams.

Because a team could take 7 days to make a decision, meaning the team that made the offer would be hamstrung for a week meaning whatever free agents were left on the market that were actually attainable would sign with other teams.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

Because a team could take 7 days to make a decision, meaning the team that made the offer would be hamstrung for a week meaning whatever free agents were left on the market that were actually attainable would sign with other teams.

I agree. It's pretty risky to just throw offers around to see what sticks, especially when you're dealing with restricted free agents.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I actually think he's a poor defender and a punk, but I guess this is just a matter of perception. Please say no to poor attitude players with questionable skills.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They'll just come back to their teams this year and then be UFAs next summer.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I actually think he's a poor defender and a punk, but I guess this is just a matter of perception. Please say no to poor attitude players with questionable skills.

agreed. No way to JR Smith. His talent doesn't out weigh his attitude. I'd rather roll with Giddens, Walker, TA (much cheaper than Smith) on the bench.

Deng is worth at least 50/5. He should just take the qualifying offer and leave the Bulls next summer.