Poll

For those that have played both, Which series is better this year?

NBA LIVE 08
3 (16.7%)
NBA 2K8
15 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: NBA LIVE 08 vs. NBA 2K8?  (Read 8855 times)

Re: NBA LIVE 08 vs. NBA 2K8?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
NBA 2k8 was incredibly superior...NBA live is gonna close the gap this season tho...automatically adapting and updating AI, players "dna" thing I don't understand...it'll be good.

Live never closes the gap, and never will. They own the marketing game and create a new feature to excite you every year, but their gameplay is beyond repair. They don't care about creating a legitimate basketball game... they care about recognition and money. It will never be close.

2k9 has their own DNA feature, anyway. Check this out for a quick list of some additions.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
NBA 2k8 was incredibly superior...NBA live is gonna close the gap this season tho...automatically adapting and updating AI, players "dna" thing I don't understand...it'll be good.

Live never closes the gap, and never will. They own the marketing game and create a new feature to excite you every year, but their gameplay is beyond repair. They don't care about creating a legitimate basketball game... they care about recognition and money. It will never be close.

2k9 has their own DNA feature, anyway. Check this out for a quick list of some additions.

10-7 seems a long way away. :(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible

10-7 seems a long way away. :(

Eh, it's not that far away. Only two and a half months.

On the bright side, camp is only two and a half months away, as well.

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 03:36:51 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I've been playing basketball video games since the days of the Atari 2600.  Back then the Intellivision basketball game was the best.  Then Dr. J and Larry Bird One on One Game came out and ruled the world for a couple of years.

I started playing NBA LIVE (along with TECMO) on the SNES in the early 90s, and loved it.  Since then I switched over to an XBOX, then an XBOX 360.

NBA LIVE was surpassed by NBA 2K in 2003.  For the last 5 years 2K has been king.  It pains me to say because I was loyal Live fan for 10 years, but all hail 2K.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
I've been playing basketball video games since the days of the Atari 2600.  Back then the Intellivision basketball game was the best.  Then Dr. J and Larry Bird One on One Game came out and ruled the world for a couple of years.

I started playing NBA LIVE (along with TECMO) on the SNES in the early 90s, and loved it.  Since then I switched over to an XBOX, then an XBOX 360.

NBA LIVE was surpassed by NBA 2K in 2003.  For the last 5 years 2K has been king.  It pains me to say because I was loyal Live fan for 10 years, but all hail 2K.

Same here, except I never had Atari. I used to play Jordan vs. Bird on Sega Genesis, though. What a classic.

I used to be a Live fan, as well. I think 2003 was Live's last really good game, and the only reason NBA Live 2004 was even remotely interesting is because that's the year they first had All-Star weekend. Regardless, 2k was the better game and has been since.

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
NBA Live is just complete garbage these days. The AI (Especially in 08 when you're playing online) Is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It will constantly just sit there and stare at the ball on what should be a defensive rebound, but since the AI is so stupid, it turns into an offensive rebound for the other team if you're not playing as KG at the time.

And then I love how you can just circle the court once or twice and just pull up for a 30 foot three and sink it even with a hand in your face

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i heard a rumor that nba live is trying very hard to buy the 2k basketball brand (it was from the gaming websites, which i'm too lazy to go and find right now). if that happens, you wont have to worry. although i'm hoping it doesn't, cause i know live will screw everything up.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Wow. Me likey. We gotta get a CB league poppin this year...not enough guys last time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 09:34:57 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I just wanted to put in a thanks to everyone that remembered to vote. The results are near unanimous, with a 14-2 win going to NBA 2k8. I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one feeling disappointed with Live 08, as I've played Live since 03 with Kidd on the cover. From there it just went downhill. The 2k series has taken over, and it would be awful if Live bought them out. That just never works unless the teams joined together to fix eachothers flaws...doubtful though.
Can't stop, Rondo!