Author Topic: Walton and Bird's Love child?  (Read 2123 times)

Walton and Bird's Love child?
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:46 PM »

Offline tallpaul

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
I watched Kevin Love at UCLA and wondered how good he really was. But it seems he has gotten in better physical shape and has to be considered the best player at the Vegas Summer League. His passing is already almost amazing, both his inside and outside game look good, and his intensity and smarts are all really impressive to this point. It looks like the game should be too fast for him, but it seems he may have that unusual capacity to see/play as if the game is happening around him in slow motion. I have no doubt Beasley and Bayless will be very impressive as rookies, but I think I'll more enjoy watching Love play the game. He'll be good for at least one remarkable pass per game. McHale seems to have done something right!   

Re: Walton and Bird's Love child?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:02:25 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Due to Love being on a non playoff contending team, he will end up putting up great numbers, just as durant did last year. With that being said, don't be surprised to see his name being tossed up for ROTY honors.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 03:11:21 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis in the Summer League, but Love is my favourite player of this draft, from a purely aesthetic point of view. He'd have been my 3rd pick. Tallpaul makes some very good points with which I agree. I still don't know how effective will he be when facing taller, larger and quicker NBA post players, but I think he'll figure out a way of being good. In fact, I believe he'll be a major offensive contributor to good teams, delivering lots of wins. In a fast paced team, his outlet pass alone can be a difference maker. But, essentially, he's very enjoyable to watch. Yesterday he made a full-court pass from the chest after, and in the same motion of, a defensive rebound that was absolutely insane. Even a blind Kwame Brown would catch that ball. The kind of stuff that only a handful of players in a generation can make. Highlights reels should be made of plays like that, not windmill dunks.

He's also a fundamentalist, worships the same God that Duncan. Great screener, helped a lot guys like Westbrook and Collison. Excellent at the pick'n'pop and the step back shot is one of the bests I've ever seen in young players. Outstanding court awareness. He'll struggle defensively when facing certain matchups, but, again, he's very solid ( Howland is really great teaching defensive fundamentals; I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Celtics coaching team, by the way).

There are shadows of McHale (the crafty post moves), Walton (the passing and understanding of the game) and Laimbeer (the leadership and the ability to be decisive doing small things and playing with confidence despite some limitations) in this kid (yeah, I know it sounds lame to compare a white player with 3 other withe players, but those are the guys tha came to my mind). If he was a couple of inches taller and a little bit more quick, he'd be a monstrous player, barring injuries.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:44:05 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 06:00:53 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
He actually sounds a little like Rasheed
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi