Author Topic: Ray Allen to Patriots?  (Read 12427 times)

Ray Allen to Patriots?
« on: July 17, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I know this sounds crazy guys, but hear me out. Ray is getting a little older and significantly affecting the celtics caps flexibility. Throughout much of last season he showed decline before some exciting signs of life in the postseason.

Unfortunately this is about the best we may be able to expect from Allen moving forward as his tired body will sleepwalk through the regular season, his defense will slowly slip and the already deteriorating ability to create his own shot will continue to erode.

One of the biggest concerns with trading Ray has been our Ubunto, so we certainly need to get someone that has been part of a winning formula before.

So why not a trade with one of the few teams with equal chemistry to the celtics, the New England Patriots. I feel that Benjamin Watson's freakish athletic ability is being overshadowed in in the New England offense between Moss, Welker and the continued emergence of Maroney. With the celtics in need of a big body, why not take a flier on Watson? I feel that he would be at least as capable as Powe but with more upside and greater leaping ability. I also think we could count on him to replace some of the toughness that we may have lost with Posey?

I know cross sports trades are rare, but this may be a case where it makes sense. What do you guys think? I think the cap numbers work.

Re: Ray Allen to Patriots?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
are you suggesting that ray allen should go play football? wow
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:14:44 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Wow.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
celticsclay, you're what the Spaniards call 'el terrible'.

Well I seen a house fly, and I seen feet smell, but I never seen Ray Allen in shoulder pads.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I know this sounds crazy guys, but hear me out. Ray is getting a little older and significantly affecting the celtics caps flexibility. Throughout much of last season he showed decline before some exciting signs of life in the postseason.

Unfortunately this is about the best we may be able to expect from Allen moving forward as his tired body will sleepwalk through the regular season, his defense will slowly slip and the already deteriorating ability to create his own shot will continue to erode.

One of the biggest concerns with trading Ray has been our Ubunto, so we certainly need to get someone that has been part of a winning formula before.

So why not a trade with one of the few teams with equal chemistry to the celtics, the New England Patriots. I feel that Benjamin Watson's freakish athletic ability is being overshadowed in in the New England offense between Moss, Welker and the continued emergence of Maroney. With the celtics in need of a big body, why not take a flier on Watson? I feel that he would be at least as capable as Powe but with more upside and greater leaping ability. I also think we could count on him to replace some of the toughness that we may have lost with Posey?

I know cross sports trades are rare, but this may be a case where it makes sense. What do you guys think? I think the cap numbers work.

I love you.  I read the thread title and cracked up.

But I still think we should explore the option of trading Ray Allen for Larry Bird in his prime.  It makes too much basketball sense.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I did not think I would have to explain this one, but it was obviously a silly trade idea. I thought we could all use a laugh in the overflow of trade ray allen threads. With this trade being about as likely as many other (zero chance), I thought it was funny to think about. I think it is even funnier if a few people consider it seriously. Imagine the first ever cross sports trade. That would be amazing. PLus he would still be in town.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »

Offline celticswillwin43

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 80
has there ever been a cross sports trade? can i have an example thrown at me here? And for the record that is an awful idea.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I always saw Ray more of a Hockey player.

The Bruins could probably use him more.  

I also hear that they are going to trade Scali and Davis to the JSA

http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
TP, this is the first one of these fake allen trades that has made me laugh in awhile  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I thought it was funny but seriously lets see if we can get Dice-k for ray ray and a future 2nd round pick

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I did not think I would have to explain this one, but it was obviously a silly trade idea. I thought we could all use a laugh in the overflow of trade ray allen threads. With this trade being about as likely as many other (zero chance), I thought it was funny to think about. I think it is even funnier if a few people consider it seriously. Imagine the first ever cross sports trade. That would be amazing. PLus he would still be in town.

Still saying Wow.

It has come to this.

Please stop with the Ray Allen trades people...you are making other ppl very creative.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
has there ever been a cross sports trade? can i have an example thrown at me here? And for the record that is an awful idea.

Micheal Jordan traded a wildly successful basketball career for a terrible baseball career. Good thing he had his fingers crossed so he could trade back.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18

TP for you -- I'm pretty sick of people desperately trying to dump Ray Allen with stupid trades.  Thanks for making a mockery of them and for making me laugh at the same time.  Well done.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »

Offline KevinIsSars

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2

How would this trade help the Pats? They already got a tall WR in Moss. And I think Allen's contract might put the Pats over the salary cap.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think this could work.