Author Topic: Glen Davis or Leon Powe?  (Read 10437 times)

Glen Davis or Leon Powe?
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »

Offline reardenmetal

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • Got Game?
If one had to go, do you trade Glen "Big Baby" Davis or Leon Powe????
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:27:49 PM by Jeff »

Re: Glen Davis or Leon Powe????
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think that decision should be put off for another year

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:37:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like Powe more than BBD -- Powe brings such a great work ethic to the table.  But I think Powe brings back more in trade value right now, and I think the chances are slim that the Cs extend him next summer when his current contract expires.  So I think I would trade Powe.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i'm going to make this very clear to everyone on celticsblog. Powe is better in every aspect of his game and character; yes i said it, he's a superior human being.

davis is fat, slow, and i cringe every time he gets his shot blocked. he's not athletic and he has no potential. he's a 7th, 8th man at best. people say he's had great games... WHAT GREAT GAMES? 4th quarter against the pistons in the palace during the regular season? is that what you are referring to? He was getting layups from being left open off of double teams. i highly doubt thats anything to be overly proud of.

powe... am i the only one that saw his game 2 heroics? he slams down viscous dunks and finished strong around the basket. he can become a full time starter one day for a bad team or a 6th man for a good team. this guy has true potential. he has the adequate life story to back up his hard work and his game keeps improving. He's developing a nice midrange last I remember.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
This will be decided this season.  If BBD comes into camp in great shape (around 15-20 lbs lighter more muscle whatever) he could win the back PF spot, but I'd say as of right now Powe is the frontrunner to stay.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:42:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I see them as being pretty much equal.  

So, I would trade the one that brings back the better player.  

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:44:49 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Ugh yeah.  Anyway I think BBD has more raw talent but, of course Powe is more reliable.  Powe might get you more right now but, he really wouldn't bring anything in trade this year.  Without Posey playing some 4 they both should get more minutes and by this time next year the decision should be clearer.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
i'm going to make this very clear to everyone on celticsblog. Powe is better in every aspect of his game and character; yes i said it, he's a superior human being.

davis is fat, slow, and i cringe every time he gets his shot blocked. he's not athletic and he has no potential. he's a 7th, 8th man at best. people say he's had great games... WHAT GREAT GAMES? 4th quarter against the pistons in the palace during the regular season? is that what you are referring to? He was getting layups from being left open off of double teams. i highly doubt thats anything to be overly proud of.

powe... am i the only one that saw his game 2 heroics? he slams down viscous dunks and finished strong around the basket. he can become a full time starter one day for a bad team or a 6th man for a good team. this guy has true potential. he has the adequate life story to back up his hard work and his game keeps improving. He's developing a nice midrange last I remember.

I disagree with you on one point. I think Davis has more potential. He has more moves around the basket, a mid-range game, and a dribble.  Remember: he was a rookie last season.

Moreover, in a sense, you're right.  Powe brings a lot more to the table TODAY. Thus I think he would be better to trade, since a team would know they can use him.  In essence: I think Powe has basically reached his potential as an NBA player, but Davis has not reached his.

Granted, Powe has a lot of character and a likeable story. No question about that.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
what is with people on this board ?

leon powe is a good player, hard worker & solid rebounder and scorer. he is young and will only get better - why does everyone want to constantly trade our players ?

one of the strengths of the celtics organization has always been stability. yes, some key trades and very good draft picks have always built the teams, but then they were left alone.

leave this team alone - including leon powe. we need him.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think that decision should be put off for another year

Part of me says yes, the other part says no.  While I like them both, I also worry that they're going to be the next Austin Crosheres or Bryon Russells: guys who play well largely because of the fact that they play on great teams where defenses pay little attention to them, and then they get big contracts with the expectation they can continue their production when they're the focal point of the offense.  Things usually fall apart then. 

So if a team has the hots for Powe or Davis and we could somehow turn that into something worthwhile, I'd consider trading one of them.  I'm not sure which at this point. 

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:53:57 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
what is with people on this board ?

leon powe is a good player, hard worker & solid rebounder and scorer. he is young and will only get better - why does everyone want to constantly trade our players ?

one of the strengths of the celtics organization has always been stability. yes, some key trades and very good draft picks have always built the teams, but then they were left alone.

leave this team alone - including leon powe. we need him.

I think this is a very relevant topic.  In many ways, while they are different players, they duplicate each other.  You can only have so many undersized power forwards on your roster.  I think at some point this decision will have to be made.  I agree that we can wait one more year and see the progress of Baby after his rookie year.  With Posey gone they both might get more minutes this year, so it will work itself out.

At this point I find myself leaning towards Powe.  He isn't as flashy, but is more consistent and reliable.  I think that is what you need out of a backup PF.  However many rookies are inconsistent.  This is why I think we need the extra year to check out Baby.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

I disagree with you on one point. I think Davis has more potential. He has more moves around the basket, a mid-range game, and a dribble.  Remember: he was a rookie last season.

Moreover, in a sense, you're right.  Powe brings a lot more to the table TODAY. Thus I think he would be better to trade, since a team would know they can use him.  In essence: I think Powe has basically reached his potential as an NBA player, but Davis has not reached his.

Granted, Powe has a lot of character and a likeable story. No question about that.

his post moves are worthless once someone starts scouting him. he'd be immediately doubled if he tries to spin or side step and have his shot blocked. basically, he'd be destroyed worse than ak47 in the playoffs last year.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 01:05:32 PM »

Offline TruthSerum

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Big Baby was buff at the beginning of the season but by the finals looked like he'd been sitting on the bench for some months. People harass him about his weight, but he either needs more game time or needs to take practice more seriously. I wouldn't want to choose because I think Powe & Baby compliment each other's style. I would never get rid of Powe. He's as tough as nails and fancy too. I want to watch him evolve as a player with the Celtics.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »

Offline Jr_Bremer1988

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
BBD is more skilled and stronger. Powe is more athletic. Both can score from the low post. However, BBD can be a more reliable shooter from 15 ft. Powe seems to be a better rebounder and defensive player. I like them both, but I like BBD more since he is a unique talent.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
This will be decided this season.  If BBD comes into camp in great shape (around 15-20 lbs lighter more muscle whatever) he could win the back PF spot, but I'd say as of right now Powe is the frontrunner to stay.

I mean, I guess he could, but even an in shape Davis is a dog to surpass Powe.

Powe is superior in just about every conceivable way, save for perhaps defense where it's close at least.  Anyone who says they're pretty much equal needs to pay more attention.