Author Topic: Daniel Gibson Signs Multi-Year Deal... What About Delonte?  (Read 9797 times)

Re: Daniel Gibson Signs Multi-Year Deal... What About Delonte?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Cleveland has coveted Delonte for some time.  I doubt they don't match a $3.5m a year offer. 

can they match such an offer now that they've given gibson the MLE?

i was under the impression that teams have to be under cap to match, i may be completly wrong on that though, and it may be unrestricted on matching. chances are im wrong lol  ;)

Neither effects the MLE.

Gibson has early bird rights.

West has bird rights.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Cleveland has coveted Delonte for some time.  I doubt they don't match a $3.5m a year offer. 

can they match such an offer now that they've given gibson the MLE?

i was under the impression that teams have to be under cap to match, i may be completly wrong on that though, and it may be unrestricted on matching. chances are im wrong lol  ;)

Neither effects the MLE.

Gibson has early bird rights.

West has bird rights.

right but doesn't delonte make much less than 3.5 million? i thought bird rights ment you could only raise a players salary so much.

and i was under the impression that this deal was for thier MLE to gibson for 5 years, is that not the case?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Delonte's staying in CLE, let's not mess with their cap even if we could.

I think that whichever team Lebron goes to in 2010, whether it be staying or leaving, will be a favorite to win the title. He surely wouldn't go to one of the worst teams in the NBA, and probably would go to a team that's already playoff bound.

I hope Lebron stays in CLE, where Danny Ferry is manager. At the same time, let's sign Miles and mess with Portland's cap. We all don't want them to retain too much talent in years to come.  ;D

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I've never been an enormous fan of Delonte West's.  I don't think he's a starter in the NBA on a championship team.  That said, I'd take him back if Posey walks.  He doesn't fill Posey's shoes, but he makes it a bit easier to do so.  He'd be an upgrade over House as the backup PG; moreover, he'd provide better scoring than Posey backing up Ray Allen.  If he could backup the 1 and 2 spots, that'd mean a guy like Giddens would only have to worry about backing up Pierce for 10-12 minutes per game, which is realistic for a guy like him. 

I don't see it happening, but I like him as a midlevel replacement for Posey better than most options. 

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
if only we could get delonte back... i think that would be the perfect 6th man and backup point for us. but i doubt the cavs are going to let him go, even if it means going well into lux tax.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I've never been an enormous fan of Delonte West's.  I don't think he's a starter in the NBA on a championship team.  That said, I'd take him back if Posey walks.  He doesn't fill Posey's shoes, but he makes it a bit easier to do so.  He'd be an upgrade over House as the backup PG; moreover, he'd provide better scoring than Posey backing up Ray Allen.  If he could backup the 1 and 2 spots, that'd mean a guy like Giddens would only have to worry about backing up Pierce for 10-12 minutes per game, which is realistic for a guy like him. 

I don't see it happening, but I like him as a midlevel replacement for Posey better than most options. 

How does signing a backup point guard make it easier to accept losing Posey?  And no, Delonte won't be a better backup for Ray Allen than Posey.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

How does signing a backup point guard make it easier to accept losing Posey?  And no, Delonte won't be a better backup for Ray Allen than Posey.

No, but he'll be a better backup to Rondo.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
We are living in interesting times; are'nt we? Thats supposed to be a curse, isnt it?.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Can we stop with the Delonte threads and ideas? Delonte was useless when he was last on this team and he isnt getting any better. If he plays back up point hes a worse dribbler and shooter than Eddie House, he cant play defense like Posey. We need a back up point and a fill in for Posey... Not a one handed dribbling brick shooter.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Posey is gone..I think its time to take a serious look at Delonte with part of the MLE. He could be our sixth man, replace Eddie House and we could sign a veteran SF for a minimum contract.

For those that hate on Delonte...you obviously weren't watching the playoffs. Second to Lebron, Delonte played harder than anyone on that Cavs team. He really left his heart out on the floor.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Gibson would have been a great backup for Rondo. That's a smart signing by the Cavs. They overpaid a bit but it's alright and Gibson is still very much developing so he could grow into that contract.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 08:27:29 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Gibson would have been a great backup for Rondo. That's a smart signing by the Cavs. They overpaid a bit but it's alright and Gibson is still very much developing so he could grow into that contract.
then DW is a better backup?? :D

AND pearl we are looking for a Cassel alternative here not for a Posey one
leave that job to Tony or somebody else
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I specifically said "he doesn't fill Posey's shoes."  I unquestionably believe that.  I don't even like Delonte West that much.  I always thought that he was dramatically overrated by most on this board. 

All I was saying is that he's a tough combo guard who can backup two positions.  He'd be a better option at the 1 then House or Cassell, so that's an improvement for the team.  I said he'd be a serviceable backup to Ray Allen given his outside shot.  And I said since he could backup Allen, whoever becomes the backup 3, doesn't also have to be the backup 2 (as Posey was in the playoffs).  Thus, if Danny wants to go with Giddens, Giddens doesn't have to play 25 mpg, he can instead just play 10-12 mpg backing up Pierce, which is probably more realistic for a rookie. 

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 01:46:40 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
i dont' know how the cavs could keep both gibson and west. they both need to be starting combo guards, and both don't look as great coming off the bench. west deserves big mins, but he can't get that as gibson needs his minutes to hit 3's,etc. maybe we could end up with west after all...cassell is doubtful to stay anyways, so maybe we resign house and pick up west.
Can't stop, Rondo!