Author Topic: The only Ray Allen trade that makes us win another title in 09'  (Read 16507 times)

Re: The only Ray Allen trade that makes us win another title in 09'
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 04:26:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think we should trade Ray for Larry Bird in his prime.   I think it will allow us to move Pierce over to shooting guard and Bird can play SF while KG remains at PF.   We'd be BIG.  I think when we face the Lakers and their length, it will help to have a front line that can match up with them as far as size goes.  WE got Perk who is like 6-10ish... KG is 7-1ish... Bird is 6-9.    That matches us up favorably to Odom/Bynum/Pau, imo.  Perk is less than any of those 3, but Bird + KG is muuuuuch better than any of the other two.   Then you add Pierce to the mix and Rondo at point... look out.   We'll easily win #18

The really great part of this trade is the 80s Celts team that made this trade would have to include their entire roster in order to make the salaries match up. With that kind of depth we'll never see another James Posey thread in our lives. McHale will show all of the non-believers what a REAL 6th man looks like...

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I don't get why we would make this trade. While T-Mac is a bit better than Allen, he's had serious injury problems and we don't know how it will affect our chemistry.  If this trade extended our championship window, I would consider it, but we are gambling on T-Mac staying healthy (unlikely) and sacrificing his game for the good of the team (I think he would, but with a guy whose been the star for so long, you never know).  Even if it works out, it doesn't significantly improve us now or in the future.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I would only do this deal if we could also trade Garnett for Yao Ming...

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
ray allen fits our boston swager more.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think we should trade Ray for Larry Bird in his prime.   I think it will allow us to move Pierce over to shooting guard and Bird can play SF while KG remains at PF.   We'd be BIG.  I think when we face the Lakers and their length, it will help to have a front line that can match up with them as far as size goes.  WE got Perk who is like 6-10ish... KG is 7-1ish... Bird is 6-9.    That matches us up favorably to Odom/Bynum/Pau, imo.  Perk is less than any of those 3, but Bird + KG is muuuuuch better than any of the other two.   Then you add Pierce to the mix and Rondo at point... look out.   We'll easily win #18

Awesome idea.  Larry helps with our rebounding and ball movement.  Plus, imagine how dominant Ray would be in the run-and-gun offenses of the 80s?  McHale and Parish could kick out to Ray on the wing.  He'd be absolutely dominant.  I mean, Ray averaged 27 ppg two seasons ago, and you know how much better athletes are today; Larry Bird would be a borderline all-star in this day-and-age.

I like it.  Works for both teams.  Fire up the Delorian and let's get this done.

Roy, you're confused: OUR Doc didn't invent the flux capacitor...  That was Christopher Lloyd. OUR Doc beat the Lakers...

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

Garnett & Allen for McGrady & Yao would be interesting to say the least & extend our window by 4 years at least. Danny would do that I believe but Houston say delete our numbers from your phone danny! This friendship is over. lol

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There are plenty of Ray Allen trades that could lead to titles that are actually realistic.

for the Matrix

for Josh Smith (if it is apparent he is going to sign a contract the Hawks don't want to match)

for Emeka Okafor (see Josh Smith)

for Luol Deng (see Josh Smith)

and many more that could occur.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Why is Ray Allen suddenly the Brian Scalabrine of this blog?..Where everybody wants to trade him.  Unbelievable.

O'Grady is a slight upgrade over his cousin with the same sterling character that had him bragging about tanking (ironically for Doc Rivers) forcing a trade. 

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
There are plenty of Ray Allen trades that could lead to titles that are actually realistic.

for the Matrix

for Josh Smith (if it is apparent he is going to sign a contract the Hawks don't want to match)

for Emeka Okafor (see Josh Smith)

for Luol Deng (see Josh Smith)

and many more that could occur.
The only realistic one is the Matrix I guess cause none of the others would work. Ray Allen for  Josh Smith would make no sense for the Hawks because they are in a youth movement & Ray is too old for that. Plus he plays the same position as Joe Johnson & Joe doesn't like playing the 3 at all.

Okafor wouldn't work because he would be relagaded to the bench being that he is really a PF in this league & K.G. has that locked down. And Perk is a natural better Center being that he would be 7ft. easy if he had a neck. Okafor is small for Center I believe & Ray would duplicate Jason Richardson's position.

Loul Deng is a good fit for us but a terrible fit for the Bulls who already have a undersized 2 in Gordon, Hinrich who they have to play at 2 in the wake of drafting Derek Rose. They still have  Larry Hughes & Thabo Sefelosha is someone they want to get big minutes from soon. So that wont work either.

Marion is the only fit as far as a realistic trade offer!

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Are you kidding me? Houston would laugh for 4 straight months if we proposed this trade to them. Bad back or no bad back.

It's an unrealistic trade, and you're right that Houston would turn it down.  However, I think Boston would, too.  McGrady averaged 21.6 ppg on 41.9% shooting last season, and shot 29.2% from 3PT.  He had his lowest rebounding average since his rookie season, and missed 16 games due to injury.  He's not the superstar many assume he is anymore. 

I'd rather have Ray.
What!!!!!!
T-Mac is a loser and a injury prone. He can't get pass the first round of the playoffs and you want to trade a healthy Ray Allen that took great great care of his body and is able to be at the peak of his carer for another year or two(at least).
A straight up trade wouldn't come as an option let alone the one where we give them Baby, Walker and a pick.
Have some respect for Walter Ray Allen please
I love how many of us on this blog has gotten the warm & fuzzy feeling for Ray because he played well in the Finals. But that same Ray is the sole reason why we almost didn't make it there! If Pierce doesn't explode in game 7 against Cleveland, you guys would be threatening Ainge to trade him for Delonte & Sczerbiak because those two seriously outplayed him the entire series. Plus Ray looked absolutely pathethic scoring in single digits & those single digits were not even FG's. They were free-throws from illegal defenses and technicals to be real! And Houston would not laugh at this trade at all because they understand T-Mac issues and might want a proven healthy superstar in Allen. Along with two very,very promising young studs with unlimited potential. Thanks for your contributions Ray & I love you, but its a business decison that I feel keeps us in the big show next year!

TP, very good point.  I think this trade would have to be considered.  Houston may also consider it if they really want to build around Yao.  People seem to have posted 2 complaints about t-mac: his bad back and not being able to advance in the playoffs.  Werent these 2 gripes that people had about Ray before he came here?  His ankles and he was never particularly great in the playoffs.  T-Mac is a great defender and definitely still a great 3 point shooter too.  He has to be considered an all around upgrade over Ray on just about any team.  I would be a little hesitant to break up the chemistry of a defending championship team though...
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Garnett & Allen for McGrady & Yao would be interesting to say the least & extend our window by 4 years at least. Danny would do that I believe but Houston say delete our numbers from your phone danny! This friendship is over. lol

Sure, it would lengthen our window of years to win 45+ games and contend for a spot in the ECF...

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »

Offline truthhurts34

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Whats with everybody making these "Ray Allen Trade" Threads??? Especially for another Slasher(Carter/McGrady). We already have that in Pierce, who is better than those two named, and the whole point of having Ray is to Spread the floor with shooting(the whole beauty of acquiring him). Even as he gets older, he doesn't rely on his vertical HE IS A SHOOTER...Remember how old Reggie Miller was when he was drilling 3's at the age of 39??

The only time Ray should be considered to get traded is in the final year of his contract, for a team hungry to get rid of cap space, and even then why not clear our own cap space and let his salary just come off the books? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love Tmac and would love to have him but Ray Allen is a much better player than him. Tmac is more injury prone as well.

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
Whats with everybody making these "Ray Allen Trade" Threads??? Especially for another Slasher(Carter/McGrady). We already have that in Pierce, who is better than those two named, and the whole point of having Ray is to Spread the floor with shooting(the whole beauty of acquiring him). Even as he gets older, he doesn't rely on his vertical HE IS A SHOOTER...Remember how old Reggie Miller was when he was drilling 3's at the age of 39??

The only time Ray should be considered to get traded is in the final year of his contract, for a team hungry to get rid of cap space, and even then why not clear our own cap space and let his salary just come off the books? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Remember shooters lose their legs also making them ineffective. Just ask Mitch Richmond! Ray Jumps high on his jumpers. Once the legs go a different release point leading to more shots clanging off the rim. Reggie Miller was never the leaper Ray Allen has been & needed less elavation to get off shots being 2 inches taller.

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
 People seem to have posted 2 complaints about t-mac: his bad back and not being able to advance in the playoffs.  Werent these 2 gripes that people had about Ray before he came here?
No, the gripes about TMac extend well beyond injuries and choking. TMac is an isolation-scoring machine. He does that very well. But his style of play kills ball movement and court chemistry. He's about as talented and gifted an athlete as has played the game of basketball - which makes up for a lot - but not all - of his deficiencies in understanding how to play the team game. I guarantee that if he showed up to play a pickup game, he'd be one of those guys that plays 1 on 5 the whole game because he can. I hate playing with those guys. However, I've learned to have sympathy for them because they don't know any better. Especially in today's NBA, that kind of mentality won't win you anything. And please don't point out his assist totals - not all assists/passes are created equal. There are those that are made with the intention of getting a teammate an easy bucket and those that are made when you have to pass because you don't have an open shot. Big difference.

Ray Allen, on the other hand, knows how to defer and how to involve his teammates in the flow of the game. He'd been deep in the playoffs before Boston with Milwaukee and Seattle. When Seattle made that nice little suprise run a few years ago, Ray Allen totally carried that team.