Author Topic: Could Brett Favre Look any worse?  (Read 23935 times)

Re: Could Brett Favre Look any worse?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
No, Favre will be remembered as a Packer, and as one of the all-time greats, no matter how this plays out.

Roy you say he will be one of the All-Time greats do you put him top ten all time? cause i dont. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
No, Favre will be remembered as a Packer, and as one of the all-time greats, no matter how this plays out.

Roy you say he will be one of the All-Time greats do you put him top ten all time? cause i dont. 

Yes, I do.  What's your top-ten?

I put Favre on about the same level as John Elway.  I'd rather have Montana or Unitas, but Favre is, to me, among the greats of the game.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have to admit, there's a part of me that is enjoying the tarnishment of Brett Favre's legacy.

Favre's legacy won't be tarnished.

Do people remember Joe Montana as a Chief, after he asked his way out of San Francisco?  Joe Namath as a Ram?  Johnny Unitas as a Charger?

In the big picture you're absolutely right.  However, I think in the eyes of the media right now he is no longer that man that can do no wrong.  For once, he seems to be rubbing the media types (who have continuously glorified him no matter what) the wrong way.  You're actually seeing ESPN guys and print media guys going after Favre which I feel has been long overdue.  He presents this "gunslinger" persona that the media has absolutely adored and ate up for so long.  He could do no wrong no matter how ridiculous that premise seemed.  Now, he has basically held a organization hostage and is severely hampering their ability to move on.  Look at Green Bay's most recent draft, they thought he was done so they drafted a couple of QB's.  People are seeing this and it reflects most negatively on Favre.  That's a chink in the armor of the "incomparable" Brett Favre.  Fine with me.

Also, he's an alltime great but falls short of that Montana/Unitas pantheon.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Im going
1. Montanna
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw
6. Namath
7. Brady (as of now)
8. Manning (as of now)
9. Bart Starr
10. Troy Aikman
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Im going
1. Montanna
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw
6. Namath
7. Brady (as of now)
8. Manning (as of now)
9. Bart Starr
10. Troy Aikman

What makes Marino any more special than Favre? I know it's not Super Bowl rings.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 10:44:51 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
He's being a bit of a child, which is annoying.

The narcissistic self-absorbed crocodile teared retirement press conference apparently wasn't enough.  He's like a teenaged girl who isn't getting enough attention.  Nauseating.  What kind of blithering idiots hold a "keep this clown" rally?  

This act got old about 3 years ago when Favre and his kindred spirit Clemens did this annual holding of their respective sports hostage with their selfish drama.

I hope the Packers hold firm and either make him a backup or hold up for the right trade price.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 10:46:56 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Im going
1. Montanna
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw
6. Namath
7. Brady (as of now)
8. Manning (as of now)
9. Bart Starr
10. Troy Aikman

Think you're over-rating Namath.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Im going
1. Montanna
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw
6. Namath
7. Brady (as of now)
8. Manning (as of now)
9. Bart Starr
10. Troy Aikman

In terms of career, I'd put Favre ahead of Namath and Aikman, at the very least.  Probably Marino and Bradshaw, as well.  Starr is hard to compare, as he's from a different era.

In terms of QB Rating, Favre is virtually tied with Marino, and is ahead of Unitas, Elway, Namath, Starr, Aikman, and Bradshaw.  Obviously, he leads everyone else on the list in all the major statistical categories (passing yards, completions, and touchdowns) because he's #1 all-time in those areas.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
Im going
1. Montanna
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Marino
5. Bradshaw
6. Namath
7. Brady (as of now)
8. Manning (as of now)
9. Bart Starr
10. Troy Aikman

Think you're over-rating Namath.

By a lot.  Namath probably had the best natural throwing talent in the group.  But he had only a couple of very good years. 

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
"What makes Marino any more special than Favre? I know it's not Super Bowl rings."

The fact that before manning he owned the record for most touchdown passes in a season and doesnt own the record for most interceptions. A higher Career QB rating. Never had a season with more interceptions than touchdowns.  Also, he's only got one superbowl. 

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:56 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45

Do people remember Joe Montana as a Chief, after he asked his way out of San Francisco?  Joe Namath as a Ram?  Johnny Unitas as a Charger?

Favre has no business being in the same coversation as Montana, a born winner, or Unitas, who revolutionized the forward pass.

None.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2291_Favre_fans_give_love_a_bad_name.html

"Sure, Favre helped lead the Packers to a Super Bowl title in 1996. But over the same 16 Favre years (1992-2007) Troy Aikman's Cowboys and Tom Brady's Patriots each won three Super Bowls. John Elway's Broncos won two. The Young-led 49ers, Warner-led Rams, Dilfer-led Ravens, Johnson-led Buccaneers, Roethlisberger-led Steelers, Peyton-led Colts and Eli-led Giants have all won as many Super Bowls as the Favre-led Packers since 1992 ... one."

I think now, finally, people are putting his career in perspective.

He had some good spots, including a Super Bowl, and some bad ones. He brought Green Bay a championship, but ultimately his ego ended up holding his team back.

That's how he should be remembered. Decent player, but kind of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. bag.

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 10:53:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
The tough thing about breaking down the alltime greats at the QB position is the evolution of the position and the eras they played.  To me, you probably have to break things down from either 1960-present (Establishment of AFL) or the Super Bowl era.  I don't think its fair to the Otto Grahams and the Sammy Baughs of the world who are certainly greats but played in a much different game.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
I rarely agree with Mr Arrow....But that was an excellent post.

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
He looks fine. You can change your mind. If Favre can still play (and I think he can) why not let he try. As for the interceptions - those happen when you try to force things on medicore teams.

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »

Offline 86 Celtics

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Favre was good once, but has been over-hyped during his decline after his Super Bowl win (I give full credit to Desmond Howard for changing that game).  Sal Paolantonio wrote a great article on the Favre hype...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3281535
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.