Author Topic: Zach Randolph  (Read 11601 times)

Zach Randolph
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The Los Angeles Clippers offered a 2nd round pick to the New York Knicks for Zach Randolph. Walsh rejected this trade because he thinks he can get more. (Hoopshype.com)

If I’m Walsh I do this trade without hesitation! The Knicks main goal right now should be shedding payroll (48 million over the next 3 seasons), developing young talent and prepping for a run at the free agent class of 2010.

What do you guys think of this rejection?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Zach Randolph
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:08:46 AM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Randolph's almost as bad as Eddy Curry, he should take what he can get, although he could probably swing a 1st round pick

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:58 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Zach Randolph, although an idiot at times, is a very good pf. Let the players play for  D'Antoni for a season, get their stock value up, then trade them when teams will offer a little more for their services.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:17:23 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Zach Randolph, although an idiot at times, is a very good pf. Let the players play for  D'Antoni for a season, get their stock value up, then trade them when teams will offer a little more for their services.

I think it's way to big of a gamble. Forget ROI with this guy, what if he has an even worse season next year? Injury? Then the Knicks are screwed.

I think your looking at it in gambler mode and not in the safe "let's move on" mode.

Plus shedding ZR puts the team in position to Re-sign David Lee.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Randolph's almost as bad as Eddy Curry, he should take what he can get, although he could probably swing a 1st round pick

Only two teams could take on ZR because of cap space.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
It will be something to see Curry and Randolph now playing under D'Antoni, because I didn't think their defense would get any worse.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:43:13 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I think it's way to big of a gamble. Forget ROI with this guy, what if he has an even worse season next year? Injury? Then the Knicks are screwed.

I think your looking at it in gambler mode and not in the safe "let's move on" mode.

Couldn't agree more, Jsaad.  Here you can find my column on the matter from Sunday -- which shares many of the same sentiments.  Think you might enjoy it if you haven't caught it already.

Chief, out of curiosity, what do you like about Randolph?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Randolph's game is not suited to running.  He is a good PF and isn't terribly overpriced for his production, but he isn't in the best condition, is not a great defender, and has plenty of off court issues (though they have diminished greatly in NY).  I would have taken the trade if I'm the Knicks just to move on.  I mean this trade would have saved them almost 100 million dollars since they are over the luxury tax.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:48:51 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Steve-o, let me. Randolph was one of my favorite players when he first broke out because all he did was do grunt work around the basket and that's how he would get his points. There are two things no one can deny about Randolph (and this separates him from Curry), he has a very good post game (when he chooses to use it), and is an excellent rebounder. He has decent shooting range but unfortunately, his shot selection and defense is terrible. He also has no lift Under the right coach, if he can be forced to control the shot selection, he could be a very productive player for teams. 20/10 guys don't grow on trees and he's just entering his prime.

The Knicks should be looking to trade Curry, not Randolph.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:54 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
Steve-o, let me. Randolph was one of my favorite players when he first broke out because all he did was do grunt work around the basket and that's how he would get his points. There are two things no one can deny about Randolph (and this separates him from Curry), he has a very good post game (when he chooses to use it), and is an excellent rebounder. He has decent shooting range but unfortunately, his shot selection and defense is terrible. He also has no lift Under the right coach, if he can be forced to control the shot selection, he could be a very productive player for teams. 20/10 guys don't grow on trees and he's just entering his prime.

The Knicks should be looking to trade Curry, not Randolph.

Thanks for stepping up and explaining the case for Z-Bo, Soap.  My problem with Randolph -- as I think you are likely aware, so my apologies for any rehashing -- is that this isn't the way he gets his points these days.  They now come through Randolph effectively holding the offense hostage and completely stagnating ball movement, which turns every play on which he as the ball into "clearout for Zach to go one-on-five mode.  And since, as you note, most of this work is done from the wing, he ends up not utilizing that post game as much as he should.

I don't deny that he can score, but he's reached a point at which the way he gets his points helps his team in as minimal a way as possible (if that makes any sense) -- because he does nothing to open the floor for teammates or to make the points come easier for his team on possessions where he isn't necessarily featured.

I agree that 20-10 guys are rare.  But when you consider that the problems I just brought up come with the best part of his game and that (aside from the boards) he ranks somewhere below 'useless' as far as the rest of his game and his attitude are concerned, he's a guy I'd want absolutely no part of.

I'm not suggesting that Curry is any cornerstone, and getting rid of both would likely be optimal (and a pipe dream) for the Knicks.  But for all his statistical production, it's my belief that Randolph is as much a detriment to his team as just about any player in the league.

-sw

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:53 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Thanks for stepping up and explaining the case for Z-Bo, Soap.  My problem with Randolph -- as I think you are likely aware, so my apologies for any rehashing -- is that this isn't the way he gets his points these days.  They now come through Randolph effectively holding the offense hostage and completely stagnating ball movement, which turns every play on which he as the ball into "clearout for Zach to go one-on-five mode.  And since, as you note, most of this work is done from the wing, he ends up not utilizing that post game as much as he should.

I don't deny that he can score, but he's reached a point at which the way he gets his points helps his team in as minimal a way as possible (if that makes any sense) -- because he does nothing to open the floor for teammates or to make the points come easier for his team on possessions where he isn't necessarily featured.

I agree that 20-10 guys are rare.  But when you consider that the problems I just brought up come with the best part of his game and that (aside from the boards) he ranks somewhere below 'useless' as far as the rest of his game and his attitude are concerned, he's a guy I'd want absolutely no part of.

I'm not suggesting that Curry is any cornerstone, and getting rid of both would likely be optimal (and a pipe dream) for the Knicks.  But for all his statistical production, it's my belief that Randolph is as much a detriment to his team as just about any player in the league.

I can't argue one bit with this. I will say this Zach Randolph is a huge detriment to any basketball team. Randolph when he won Most Improved Player? Not so much. You're dead on with the stagnating the offense bit.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Zach Randolph = Antoine Walker - leadership - passing skills + off-the-court issues

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

I can't argue one bit with this. I will say this Zach Randolph is a huge detriment to any basketball team. Randolph when he won Most Improved Player? Not so much. You're dead on with the stagnating the offense bit.

Fair enough -- I think we can agree that it's a tale of two Zachs -- and the recent one has not been good.  :o  Thanks for the props, and TP for the good discussion.

Zach Randolph = Antoine Walker - leadership - passing skills + off-the-court issues

Not a compliment, for any scoring at home.

-sw

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Couldn't agree more, Jsaad.  Here you can find my column on the matter from Sunday -- which shares many of the same sentiments.  Think you might enjoy it if you haven't caught it already.

Chief, out of curiosity, what do you like about Randolph?

-sw

Great column, Tp.

I looked at it from more an economical sense but your scouting report put it over the top

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I was told there would be no math.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague