Author Topic: What's your 4th Favorite Celtic transaction of all time?  (Read 7564 times)

Re: What's your 4rd Favorite Celtic transaction of all time?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

1996 sent Eric Montross and 96 1st round (#9 - Samaki Walker) to Mavs for 96 1st round (#6 - Antoine Walker) and 97 1st round (Ron Mercer)

For all the criticism ML got, this was an amazing trade. Imagine if Pitino went the patience route and drafted T-Mac instead of Mercer and keeps Billups. A yr later you'd have Billups, T-Mac, Pierce, and Walker.

But the 96 draft was considered a 6 player draft and to use Montross to get in the top 6 AND get a future lottery pick from the Mavs? ML heisted Don Nelson. If I'm correct after moving up to #6, ML still tried to get in top 3 to get Camby, which would have been interesting.

Other trades I liked:

I actually liked Ed Pinkney a lot, so the Danny Ainge trade was cool in my book.

Pitino trading Travis Knight and his contract for Tony Battie was sweet.

For some odd reason I think it was cool when we brought in Artis Gilmore.

I liked the Dino Radja for Clarence Weatherspoon and Michael Cage trade, until Larry Brown screwed us on that.

Re: What's your 4th Favorite Celtic transaction of all time?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Also any transaction involving Vin Baker is a winner in my book.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Honestly! Although the transaction im about to mention turned out tragic. Those of us who at the time actually saw Len Bias play live, would have been convinced that drafting Len Bias had to rank in the top 2 or 3 of all-time. I dont regret Boston's decision to draft him although he never played 1 single game. Coach K himself said that in his time of coaching college basketball. He only had seen 2 players that he knew would change the way basketball would be played, Thats Micheal Jordan & Len Bias! He saw Patrick Ewing, Hakeem, Ralph Sampson, James Worthy & Clyde Drexler in that same time span. Yet he choose Bias! We would not have had to wait for #17 because it was coming in 87' the very next year. And im certain had he not made that terrible decision in his dorm room, we would have 20 titles by now.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Was glancing at www.prosportstransactions.com. Here are a few:

1988 2nd round pick to Heat in exchange for the Heat to agree they won't select DJ in the expansion draft - even though DJ had only 2 years left, it was probably a good thing to do

1989 sent Danny Ainge and Brad Lohaus to Kings for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney - I kinda liked Kleine for a few years

1996 sent Eric Montross and 96 1st round (#9 - Samaki Walker) to Mavs for 96 1st round (#6 - Antoine Walker) and 97 1st round (Ron Mercer)

no doubt, Pinckney and Kleine gave a little hope for the ball club after the void of the big three.  that was the beginning of a long darkness, and it took so many of those little moves to get back on top.  Pinckney had some athleticism and Kleine had that nice release which was too soft for his big body.

Trading Danny was like a dagger through my Celtic heart - I hated that trade.  Ainge went on to play in at two more NBA finals and Celts began the descent into the cellar.

Agreed. Trading skill for mediocre size was foolish.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »

Offline dirtyeggs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Three things come to mind -

1. Letting "Never Nervous" Pervis' contract expire
2. Letting Joe Forte and Scooby Doo go away
3. Drafting Len Bias - I agree we would have been playing for #21 this year

Len Bias was amazing.  Looking forward to the documentary coming out.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 07:26:26 PM »

Offline Bidder225

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm with celticballer32, it's got to be the day we got Scal, once we had him it was just a matter of filling out the rest of the team and BAM! we are world champs again, great thread, lots of fun.

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 07:34:16 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
i'm amazed by the trades being mentioned that brought good but not great players who produced division titles or good playoff runs but not titles. who cares ?

the Boston Celtics are about World Championships - as 'paintitgreen' stated - the only trades that matter are the ones that produced banners.

how about the Phoenix/Charley Scott compensation that brought us Paul Silas back in '73 ? that led directly to two titles - those great 1970's Celtics seem to always get left out of the conversation.

also after Chaney jumped to the ABA, Red traded Westphal for Charley Scott which led to the 1976 title and the Greatest Game.......... although I never quite understood why Red didn't see Westphal as the player to move in for Chaney's departed spot - unless he was just not seen as the big, defensive shooting guard that Scott was. As good as Charley was, Westphal outplayed him the '76 Finals.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Was glancing at www.prosportstransactions.com. Here are a few:

1988 2nd round pick to Heat in exchange for the Heat to agree they won't select DJ in the expansion draft - even though DJ had only 2 years left, it was probably a good thing to do

1989 sent Danny Ainge and Brad Lohaus to Kings for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney - I kinda liked Kleine for a few years

no doubt, Pinckney and Kleine gave a little hope for the ball club after the void of the big three.  that was the beginning of a long darkness, and it took so many of those little moves to get back on top.  Pinckney had some athleticism and Kleine had that nice release which was too soft for his big body.

Trading Danny was like a dagger through my Celtic heart - I hated that trade.  Ainge went on to play in at two more NBA finals and Celts began the descent into the cellar.

Agreed. Trading skill for mediocre size was foolish.

I disagree. Pinckney gave us an athletic starting forward and Kleine was the best backup center Parish had since '86 Walton. Letting Danny go gave the shooting guard spot to Reggie, which was an upgrade. Reggie became an all-star. Brad Lohaus was a big loss though. ;) j/k

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
to tenn-smoothie

regarding "how about the Phoenix/Charley Scott compensation that brought us Paul Silas back in '73 ? that led directly to two titles - those great 1970's Celtics seem to always get left out of the conversation."

look at my post on page one.....and i agree with you regarding westphal

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 08:37:38 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
2/24/05 Celtics trade Jiri Welch to Cleveland for a 1st round pick! I hated Welch when he was here!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
OK, in all seriousness: Trading Jiri Welsch to Cleveland for a future first round draft pick, which eventually turned into Rajon Rondo.

Getting anything for Jiri was a work of art.  Same for Jerome Moiso - the Sixers actually parted with a pick for him.

And as painful as the result ended up being, Gerald Henderson for what ended up being the 2nd pick in the draft was pretty darn sweet at the time.
Yup

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
signing Dana Barros - that was a cool signing, and Dana gave me one of my first live Celtics memories when he broke the consecutive games with a 3 pointer record against the Twolves (same game, Todd Day set the record for most points by a Celtic in a quarter - or maybe he tied LarryBird) - and Dino Radja won it with a FT at the end - great way to get initiated into the live game
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
thanks Yardley - a kindred spirit.

what was the accepted reason for trading Westphal for Scott back then ??

btw ........ i always liked Charley - he loved being a Celtic. after the '76 title, i bought some green-felt Nikes like Scott wore ....... also had some Jo-Jo Pro-Keds and Havlicek Adidas, but i never could find any Cowens green Tigres.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:04:56 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce