Author Topic: What's your 4th Favorite Celtic transaction of all time?  (Read 7602 times)

What's your 4th Favorite Celtic transaction of all time?
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:49:54 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Ok,  Happy Monday All!!

Here's what I hope to be a fun thread.

For a moment, put aside the following events:
1.  The trade that brought Russell to the Celts
2.  The trade that brought McHale & Parish to the Celts
3.  The two trades (which I am counting as one) that brought Allen and KG to the Celts

What is your personal favorite transaction the Celtics have done and why?

Was it getting Ainge from the Blue Jays?  Trading Cowens for Quinn Buckner?  Maxwell for Walton?  Maybe for some weird reason it was Brian Shaw for Sherman Douglas.

Doesn't need to be the best, just your favorite transaction (which could mean getting rid of a player as well).

Not including draft selection, but draft day trades are open fodder.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:27:34 PM by SShoreFan 2.0 »
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Re: What's your 4rd Favorite Celtic transaction of all time?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:52:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Do draft picks count?  If so, I'll go with drafting Larry a year before his eligibility ran out, and gambling that he'd join the team.  How often do you get the best player in the world with the #6 pick?

Rick Robey for DJ was pretty good, too.

Drafting Pierce at #10 worked out okay, as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:59:30 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:56:38 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
Do draft picks count?  If so, I'll go with drafting Larry a year before his eligibility ran out, and gambling that he'd join the team.  How often do you get the best player in the world with the #6 pick?

Only for the sake of discussion, let's leave the draft out because Bird aside it then becomes what player was a better draft value and so on-- but great choice.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Four trades from the 70's and 80's come to mind:

in the robey for dj, i believe we got a #1 pick also;
mcadoo to detroit for 3 #1s.....then changed to 2 #1s and ML
earl tatum for chris ford
then i believe we let charlie scott sign with phoenix and got paul silas as comp (later traded westphal for scott)

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:57:33 AM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
Was glancing at www.prosportstransactions.com. Here are a few:

1988 2nd round pick to Heat in exchange for the Heat to agree they won't select DJ in the expansion draft - even though DJ had only 2 years left, it was probably a good thing to do

1989 sent Danny Ainge and Brad Lohaus to Kings for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney - I kinda liked Kleine for a few years

1996 sent Eric Montross and 96 1st round (#9 - Samaki Walker) to Mavs for 96 1st round (#6 - Antoine Walker) and 97 1st round (Ron Mercer)

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
My all time favorite was getting Danny Ainge away from the Blue Jays after drafting him in the second round.  Baseball was still "the" sport in the early 80's and Red bullied the Jays into letting Danny go.

Danny went on to........well, you know the rest of the story.

(interesting follow up:  Ainge was selected 31st in 1981, selected 57th by the Knicks was none other than one Mr. Brickowski!)

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
It would come down to when we brought back Toine, or when we traded away Chauncey to bring in the great Kenny Anderson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:00:44 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
i doubt it would by my 4th favorite if i went back and looked at all of them, but one that's looking darn good right now:

Troy Bell & Dahntay Jones for Kendrick Perkins (and Marcus Banks).

UBUNTU!
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:27:07 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Trading away Cleveland's #1 to land Rajon Rondo was a nice move, as well.

Trading Gerald Henderson for a future unprotected #1 was a genius move, in that it landed us the #2 pick in a two-man draft.  Unfortunately, that one didn't work out so well.  (Henderson was a good player, but the opportunity to draft Bias was much more valuable).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW

1988 2nd round pick to Heat in exchange for the Heat to agree they won't select DJ in the expansion draft - even though DJ had only 2 years left, it was probably a good thing to do

1989 sent Danny Ainge and Brad Lohaus to Kings for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney - I kinda liked Kleine for a few years

1996 sent Eric Montross and 96 1st round (#9 - Samaki Walker) to Mavs for 96 1st round (#6 - Antoine Walker) and 97 1st round (Ron Mercer)

no doubt, Pinckney and Kleine gave a little hope for the ball club after the void of the big three.  that was the beginning of a long darkness, and it took so many of those little moves to get back on top.  Pinckney had some athleticism and Kleine had that nice release which was too soft for his big body.
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown

no doubt, Pinckney and Kleine gave a little hope for the ball club after the void of the big three.  that was the beginning of a long darkness, and it took so many of those little moves to get back on top.  Pinckney had some athleticism and Kleine had that nice release which was too soft for his big body.

Trading Danny was like a dagger through my Celtic heart - I hated that trade.  Ainge went on to play in at two more NBA finals and Celts began the descent into the cellar.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Given the high standards of the first three transactions, I think it's gotta be one that helped bring a title. So there's two that jump to mind.

My first one would be trading for DJ. Without him, we would not have been the same team in the 80s. Full transaction was Robey and two 1983 second round picks (Rod Foster #28 and Paul Williams #45) for DJ, a 1983 first round pick (Greg Kite #21) and a 1983 3rd round pick (Winifred King #52). So basically Robey for DJ and Kite - that's huge, to me. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=Celtics&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&BeginYear=&BeginMonth=&BeginDay=&EndYear=&EndMonth=&EndDay=&submit=Search&start=700  June 27, 1983.

The second one might be better because of later effects. On August 4, 1978, we made a huge trade with the Clippers (recently relocated from Buffalo). This was the transaction that led someone to contemplate whether the Celtics were really the Clippers and vice versa. When the owners of the Braves/Clippers and Celtics switched franchises, each kept some personal favorite players via a trade. That trade sent Kevin Kunnert, Kermit Washington, Sidney Wicks and the rights to Freeman Williams for Tiny, Marvin Barnes, Billy Knight, a 1981 second round pick and a 1983 second round pick.

Just getting Tiny was good enough, but the trickle down effects of that trade were enormous. For starters, that 1981 second round pick turned out to be Danny Ainge. Six months after the trade, Billy Knight was traded for Rick Robey. And 5 years after the trade, in the summer of 83, the 1983 second round pick (turned out to be Rod Foster) was packaged with another second round pick and Robey to get DJ and Kite in the trade above. So the overall deal amounted to Kunnert, Washington, Wicks and Freeman for 5 years of Tiny and 4 1/2 years of Robey (1 title), plus Danny Ainge, Dennis Johnson, and Greg Kite (2 titles).
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=Celtics&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&BeginYear=&BeginMonth=&BeginDay=&EndYear=&EndMonth=&EndDay=&submit=Search&start=600

But since I don't think you can put too much into later trades, I'll rate getting DJ and Kite for Robey just above getting Tiny, Knight and Ainge for Wicks, Williams, Washington and Kunnert.

Other trades I liked:

In 1989, 2 second round picks (Zan Tabak & Richard Petruska) for John Bagley - loved that guy at the BC basketball camp.

Bell & Jones for Banks & Perk.

In 2003, Eric Williams, Battie & Kedrick for Ricky Davis, Mihm and 2nd round draft pick that turned into Gomes.

February of 2005, Jiri Welsch for a 2007 first round pick. That pick was eventually Rudy Fernandez, but we traded that pick at the 2006 Draft for the rights to Rajon Rondo.

Trades that could have been great:

Gerald Henderson for first round pick that turned out to be Len Bias.

Montross and pick that turned out to be Samaki Walker for picks that turned out to be Antoine Walker and Ron Mercer - that Mercer pick could have been a little higher, and a lot better.

And while I like Max for Walton, remember that in addition to giving up Max, who was a great player in his own right, we also gave up a first round pick that turned out to be Arvydas Sabonis. Yeah, he was trapped in Europe, but maybe, just maybe, the draw of the Celtics would have brought him stateside much earlier in his career. I still think it was a good trade since Walton was so important for us for a year and helped make up arguably the best team in Celtics and even NBA history, but enough was given up that I can't really say it was one of the Celtics' five best trades since we had so many fleece trades in our history (Russell, McHale & Parish, DJ, Tiny & Ainge).
Go Celtics.

Re: What's your 4th Favorite Celtic transaction of all time?
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
when we traded for antoine back and he wore number 88 haha..we won the division that yr!!  Jefferson was wearing number 8 at the time and eventually gave it to antoine... it reminded me of the bourque and esposito number retirement thing 
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »

Offline Roper

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I can't believe that trading Mark Blount wasn't brought up yet... I think some people liked his departure more then Garnetts arrival

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Signing Brian Scalabrine to a 5-year deal.

OK, in all seriousness: Trading Jiri Welsch to Cleveland for a future first round draft pick, which eventually turned into Rajon Rondo.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/