Author Topic: Possible Posey replacement...how about our old gem?...  (Read 22845 times)

Re: Possible Posey replacement...how about our old gem?...
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 04:02:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The LLE has been used for O'Bryant! Stop bringing that up.
I have seen that said by one reporter only and not verified anywhere else. Until the Celtics introduce him and his numbers become public, I think it's fair game to discuss being able to use the LLE.

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I have seen that said by one reporter only and not verified anywhere else. Until the Celtics introduce him and his numbers become public, I think it's fair game to discuss being able to use the LLE.

We wouldn't be after Posey if we had used part of the MLE. So I believe it's the LLE, because I don't think O'Bryant would have signed for the minimum. The Heat also had a good offer.

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The majority of reports seem to think O'Bryant is signed for the veteran minimum. I have a hard time believing Ainge has thrown the LLE at an unproven lottery pick 2 years removed from his freshman year in college.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

We wouldn't be after Posey if we had used part of the MLE. So I believe it's the LLE, because I don't think O'Bryant would have signed for the minimum. The Heat also had a good offer.
Exactly why is it not believable that the World Champion Celtics could lure an unproven, 22 year old nobody, 3rd string, backup center with the veteran minimum away from the worse team in the league who offered him slightly more?

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
And besides, Barnes hit threes like crazy in 06-07, and was a key factor in the series with Dallas (which they won).

He also went in the toilet for the last 22 games of the season dropping below 40 percent shooting and averaging half of his season output when they needed him most

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 05:05:39 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I never forget about Gomes hints the name. He is restricted. I would love to  see us pick him up!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
i do not know if i would call him a thug. just because a guy has 1,000 tattoos does not make him a thug. I am not a fan of that look, but half the nba has it. i will agree he is a step below posey, but that is the topic of this thread. who can we get to replace posey. when GSW made their mini-run in the playoffs a few years back, barnes was huge for them, just like posey was huge for us this year. i have always been a fan of his game, think he would fit in nicely if the price for posey gets to be too rich for our blood.

How did Barnes do in this year's playoffs?

BTW, it's not about the look.  It is about his actions on the basketball court.  He is an immature cheap shot artist and takes some bad penalties.
Also, there is a reason teams tried him as a PF in his earlier days.  He isn't quick enough to defend a 3.   Plus, he's been a turnover machine in the past. 

At the LLE if we bring in another viable option, maybe.

I'd rather have Ricky Davis OR Ruben Patterson if that gives you an idea of my view of his fit.   

Many people, especially Bulls fans, feel the same about James Posey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxU3YXcRwV0

or 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLnTdZb18oM

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »

Offline ToBrien1124

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
Thanks for the vids of Posey. I also knew that Chicago hated him for some reason but I didn't know the extent of it. Those fouls clearly were dirty and warrented an ejection no doubt, although in Boston he seemed to have matured a bit, I'm sure none of us noticed anything half as bad as that during this past season;

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Thanks for the vids of Posey. I also knew that Chicago hated him for some reason but I didn't know the extent of it. Those fouls clearly were dirty and warrented an ejection no doubt, although in Boston he seemed to have matured a bit, I'm sure none of us noticed anything half as bad as that during this past season;

I could not find the video, but there is another very bad incident where Posey broke Tyrus Thomas' nose his rookie year. When guys like that play for your team, you call them hustle players. When guys like that play for other teams, you call them dirty.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Not offering 3 years is stupid. I'd rather use the backup pg money on Posey and use Pruitt as the backup pg (or have drafted the obvious pick, Chalmers). I'd rather use the 3 million they gave O'Bryant on Posey and give those backup big minutes to BBD. Posey is the 6th man you need. Like McHale, or Walton, or Michael Cooper. Stop nickel and diming Posey. 3 yrs is a fair deal. This reminds me when the Sox claimed poor after winning the WS and let Lowe and Cabrera go, but then oddly signed Clement and Renteria. Our 30's big 3 have a very small window. We need Posey!

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Not offering 3 years is stupid. I'd rather use the backup pg money on Posey and use Pruitt as the backup pg (or have drafted the obvious pick, Chalmers). I'd rather use the 3 million they gave O'Bryant on Posey and give those backup big minutes to BBD. Posey is the 6th man you need. Like McHale, or Walton, or Michael Cooper. Stop nickel and diming Posey. 3 yrs is a fair deal. This reminds me when the Sox claimed poor after winning the WS and let Lowe and Cabrera go, but then oddly signed Clement and Renteria. Our 30's big 3 have a very small window. We need Posey!

First, did you really just compare James Posey to Mchale, Walton and Cooper? Secondly, how can you call offering two years stupid already if Posey still hasn't signed anywhere else? Third, yeah, things just never seem to work out for the Sox, considering Cabrera stinks now and the Red Sox seem to be fine with their pitching staff. Hey, if the C's win another title in two years - who's going to complain?

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney

Now if only the film could explain away the vast difference in defensive rating and defensive win share statistics.  Posey rated as one of the best in the league.  Barnes in the bottom 27% in the league. 

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Now if only the film could explain away the vast difference in defensive rating and defensive win share statistics.  Posey rated as one of the best in the league.  Barnes in the bottom 27% in the league. 

I think I could show you film of over 2000 games that Nellie has coached and you would see that nobody on his teams usually end up with good defensive ratings.

In Doc and Thibodeaux's defensive system, I think Barnes would be ok.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:54:54 PM by Chief »

Larry Bird

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

First, did you really just compare James Posey to Mchale, Walton and Cooper? Secondly, how can you call offering two years stupid already if Posey still hasn't signed anywhere else? Third, yeah, things just never seem to work out for the Sox, considering Cabrera stinks now and the Red Sox seem to be fine with their pitching staff. Hey, if the C's win another title in two years - who's going to complain?

First, which one was not a 6th man on an NBA Championship team? If you think we would of won the title with Tony Allen as our sixth man, that's on you. Notice what happened to the C's in '87 when they lost their 6th man, Walton? Players got tired and injured. Do you want the same to happen to GPA?

Second, this is a blog forum. I can say that not offering a third yr to your 6th man is stupid. I'm allowed. That's how.

Third, this is 2008, 4 yrs later than 2004. Are you saying its ok for the C's to make mistakes because 4 years from now we might recover? Losing Lowe and Cabrera for Renteria and Clement, while not the sole reasons for not repeating, definitely didn't help the Sox in '05 with that goal. If you think the C's can follow the Sox model and just win again in 3 yrs, think again. GPA was built for a three yr run. You don't win titles in the NBA with your core being in their mid thirties. The time is now. Would I say that not giving Posey 5 yrs was stupid? No. Not giving him 3 years IS stupid.

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney

I think I could show you film of over 2000 games that Nellie has coached and you would see that nobody on his teams usually end up with good defensive ratings.

In Doc and Thibodeaux's defensive system, I think Barnes would be ok.

Unfortunately, his whole career has fit the same range of defensive rating and defensive win share statistics. 

The guy is a tweener PF who lacks the footspeed to defend a good SF.  He is not that far defensively from Ricky Davis and most people on this board view Davis a sieve. Truthfully, if I am going to take someone of Barnes's defensive skill set, I'd rather go after Davis.  He brings more to the table offensively.

If you want to start talking about a good defensive option, you could look at Quinton Ross (horrible offensively), Maurice Evans, and Ruben Patterson.