Author Topic: Possible Posey replacement...how about our old gem?...  (Read 22912 times)

Re: Possible Posey replacement...how about our old gem?...
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 09:50:39 AM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
If there was any "old gem" I would like back if Posey walks, it'd be Walter McCarty.  Now that's not really plausible given how long he's been out of the game.  But like Posey, he can guard multiple positions.  And like Posey, he had a knack for hitting timely treys. 

Those are pretty much exactly the reasons why Gomes doesn't fit here.

How old is Wahltah? possibly a PJ Brown situation?

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If there was any "old gem" I would like back if Posey walks, it'd be Walter McCarty.  Now that's not really plausible given how long he's been out of the game.  But like Posey, he can guard multiple positions.  And like Posey, he had a knack for hitting timely treys. 

Those are pretty much exactly the reasons why Gomes doesn't fit here.

How old is Wahltah? possibly a PJ Brown situation?

He's actually an assistant coach for Rick Pitino down at Louisville.  I wasn't so much serious about what I said as much as I was just making an observation about McCarty being a poor man's Posey.  At this point I think it's highly unlikely he walks away from Louisville and even more unlikely that he'd still be any good if he did. 

And oh yeah, he's 34 now, will be 35 in February. 

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 10:03:30 AM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Maybe somebody should talk to Doc about bringing McCarty up here to coach with him

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Then if you compare him to Posey he is a much better offensive player, as good a rebounder, can possibly be taught to be maybe not as good a defender as James then at least a good defender, and he is 25 years old not 31.
Why is Childress a much better offensive player?

Childress is a very good rebounder for his position. Especially on the offensive glass, he's an excellent offensive rebounder for a wing.
Here is a comparison of their offensive number, by career:

FG%  JC 52.2%  JP 41.6%
3PT% JC 36.0%  JP 35.1%
FT%  JC 79.9%  JP 82.0%
PPG  JC 11.1   JP  9.2
AST  JC  1.8   JP  1.8
PER  JC 17.84  JP 12.08
RPG  JC  5.6   JP  4.9

Also taking a look at some of the 82games.com #'s are very interesting:

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8A.HTM
http://www.82games.com/0708/07BOS8A.HTM

The main difference in their games is that Posey plays and shoots outside whereas Childress is a fast break and inside presence posting smaller people up.

The numbers point in Childress' favor as a better offensive player maybe much better offensive player. They are probably closer than the stats might say nbut considering Childress is young and his game still developing and Posey's game is known and is declining, I'd say the Childress's offensive game is much better than Posey's.

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Then if you compare him to Posey he is a much better offensive player, as good a rebounder, can possibly be taught to be maybe not as good a defender as James then at least a good defender, and he is 25 years old not 31.

Childress is a very good rebounder for his position. Especially on the offensive glass, he's an excellent offensive rebounder for a wing.

FG%  JC 52.2%  JP 41.6%
3PT% JC 36.0%  JP 35.1%
FT%  JC 79.9%  JP 82.0%
PPG  JC 11.1   JP  9.2
AST  JC  1.8   JP  1.8
PER  JC 17.84  JP 12.08
RPG  JC  5.6   JP  4.9

The main difference in their games is that Posey plays and shoots outside whereas Childress is a fast break and inside presence posting smaller people up.

The numbers point in Childress' favor as a better offensive player maybe much better offensive player. They are probably closer than the stats might say nbut considering Childress is young and his game still developing and Posey's game is known and is declining, I'd say the Childress's offensive game is much better than Posey's.

Childress doesn't post people up. He's a garbage man. He's a small forward version of Reggie Evans except Childress is an excellent finisher so his FG% is much higher. He lives on the baseline, hovering around for offensive rebounds, loose balls, and passes of penetration from teammates. He creates his shots primarily through hustle. He's not a guy you ask to create his own shot because he can't do it well enough with consistency.

Check Childress' jump shooting stats on those 82games.com pages too. Unfriendly numbers. Also notice how few jump shots he takes (around 35%).

eFG% of 39.6% last season.
eFG% of 38% the season before.
Ha, never noticed this one before. His second year he was up at 50.8%. That would make me happy. Little lonesome on this list though.
eFG% of 29.9% as a rookie.

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
to me, it should be matt barnes.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/matt_barnes/

pretty good numbers, good defender, highly respected in the locker room, more athletic than posey, good 3 point shooter (not as good as posey), would cost less and he is a little younger.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
pretty good numbers, good defender, highly respected in the locker room, more athletic than posey, good 3 point shooter (not as good as posey), would cost less and he is a little younger.

Matt Barnes is a thug and not a good defender.  He's also been a turnover machine in the past.

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Barnes is a significantly worse shooter than Posey or even Childress for that matter.

Career FG% .438, Career 3PT% .324

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

FG%  JC 52.2%  JP 41.6%
3PT% JC 36.0%  JP 35.1%
FT%  JC 79.9%  JP 82.0%
PPG  JC 11.1   JP  9.2
AST  JC  1.8   JP  1.8
PER  JC 17.84  JP 12.08
RPG  JC  5.6   JP  4.9

Childress doesn't post people up. He's a garbage man. He's a small forward version of Reggie Evans except Childress is an excellent finisher so his FG% is much higher. He lives on the baseline, hovering around for offensive rebounds, loose balls, and passes of penetration from teammates. He creates his shots primarily through hustle. He's not a guy you ask to create his own shot because he can't do it well enough with consistency.

Check Childress' jump shooting stats on those 82games.com pages too. Unfriendly numbers. Also notice how few jump shots he takes (around 35%).

eFG% of 39.6% last season.
eFG% of 38% the season before.
Ha, never noticed this one before. His second year he was up at 50.8%. That would make me happy. Little lonesome on this list though.
eFG% of 29.9% as a rookie.
You are right I chose the wrong choice of word, I should have said he is an inside presence playing against smaller(less long) players at his position not posting up. Sorry.

You say Posey is better because he shoots better.

I see a guy that can take players off the dribble better and can shoot as well even if he doesn't shoot from the outside as much, and has such a good nose for the ball that he creates a ton of hustle baskets by taking advantage of his length and athletic ability.

Maybe it's all a wash or semantics. But I'd rather have Childress, his current game, and future upside than Poesey, his current game and future upside, or rather, diminishing skills.

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton

Matt Barnes is a thug and not a good defender.  He's also been a turnover machine in the past.

i do not know if i would call him a thug. just because a guy has 1,000 tattoos does not make him a thug. I am not a fan of that look, but half the nba has it. i will agree he is a step below posey, but that is the topic of this thread. who can we get to replace posey. when GSW made their mini-run in the playoffs a few years back, barnes was huge for them, just like posey was huge for us this year. i have always been a fan of his game, think he would fit in nicely if the price for posey gets to be too rich for our blood.

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
i do not know if i would call him a thug. just because a guy has 1,000 tattoos does not make him a thug. I am not a fan of that look, but half the nba has it. i will agree he is a step below posey, but that is the topic of this thread. who can we get to replace posey. when GSW made their mini-run in the playoffs a few years back, barnes was huge for them, just like posey was huge for us this year. i have always been a fan of his game, think he would fit in nicely if the price for posey gets to be too rich for our blood.

How did Barnes do in this year's playoffs?

BTW, it's not about the look.  It is about his actions on the basketball court.  He is an immature cheap shot artist and takes some bad penalties.

Also, there is a reason teams tried him as a PF in his earlier days.  He isn't quick enough to defend a 3.   Plus, he's been a turnover machine in the past. 

At the LLE if we bring in another viable option, maybe.

I'd rather have Ricky Davis OR Ruben Patterson if that gives you an idea of my view of his fit.   

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton

How did Barnes do in this year's playoffs?

BTW, it's not about the look.  It is about his actions on the basketball court.  He is an immature cheap shot artist and takes some bad penalties.

Also, there is a reason teams tried him as a PF in his earlier days.  He isn't quick enough to defend a 3.   Plus, he's been a turnover machine in the past. 

At the LLE if we bring in another viable option, maybe.

I'd rather have Ricky Davis OR Ruben Patterson if that gives you an idea of my view of his fit.   

GSW did not make the playoffs and it is matt barnes fault? c'mon. that is like blaming some special team player for an NFL team for why a team misses the playoffs. i respect your opinion, but i am a matt barnes fan, feel he would be a decent alternative if posey left.

and BTW, i like posey a lot, but there would be a lot of players around the league who would call posey a thug or a punk. he is not well liked, but so waht? not being liked is not the worst trait a player could have. posey is booed like crazy to this day in chicago, but us celtic fans know exactly how valuable he is.

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
GSW did not make the playoffs and it is matt barnes fault? c'mon. that is like blaming some special team player for an NFL team for why a team misses the playoffs. i respect your opinion, but i am a matt barnes fan, feel he would be a decent alternative if posey left.

I meant to rip him for his play in the final part of the season when the playoffs were on the line.   I stand by the statement that you are replacing a solid defender with a tweener that isn't a good defender at either the SF or PF position. 

Useful guy at the LLE.  Better than Tony Allen, but not very good.

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
The LLE has been used for O'Bryant! Stop bringing that up.

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
And besides, Barnes hit threes like crazy in 06-07, and was a key factor in the series with Dallas (which they won).