Author Topic: Possible Posey replacement...how about our old gem?...  (Read 22911 times)

Possible Posey replacement...how about our old gem?...
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:58:50 PM »

Offline ToBrien1124

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
Its quiet..to quiet for a night in the NBA off-season. I am waiting to wake up and either hear the news that makes my day..Posey resigns with us or the news that ruins it...he signs with another team. I continue to keep my fingers crossed that he is back in Celtic green, but I am preparing for the worst as well. Heck, I decided I am going to go to Borders in Boston on tuesday, have Posey and Eddie House sign my championship DVD and I am going to tell the both of them, wherever they end up, I am a fan of that team because of them. Except LA and the Pistons of course.

Anyways, obviously if Posey does decide to move on to another team, we need a viable back-up small forward that can replace him. After reading through some of the suggestions like Darius Miles and even ole Toine I couldn't help but think  we are totally forgetting about somebody that could be well...available and he has been and would be a gem for us. Does everybody seem to be forgetting that Ryan Gomes is a FA.

One of my all-time favorite Celtics, a part of me was more sad to see him go then Ryan Gomes. A young veteran as I liked to call him. Came in every night and practically gave us a double double easily. How perfect would he be for our sixth man. He knows our system, he knows Doc, he knows and is friends with Paul. He can thrive playing SF but he can play PF if needed. Plus, he is still young! I believe he may be what 25 or 26? I can't believe he hasen't been mentioned as an option. If worst comes to worse with Posey..then why not bring our beloved Gomes back into the fray.

Re: Possible Posey replacement...how about our old gem?...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
he's a "restricted" free agent - Minny can match (and most likely would) any offer.

i wouldn't mind our old gem adrian griffin - not sure what his contract status is, but i have always liked him (be a good one-year stop gap).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:14:14 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
oh I thought this was gonna be a Kederick Brown thread, we've seen Walker and GG in recent days, why not bring back the real "42" - I'm sure he could give us a solid 32 seconds a game or so
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »

Offline ToBrien1124

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
ah yes..I forgot he was a restricted free agent. My bad..that still dosen't rule out the possiblity though does it?  With Kevin Love on board, does that make a difference as to whether or not Minny may match?

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Its quiet..to quiet for a night in the NBA off-season. I am waiting to wake up and either hear the news that makes my day..Posey resigns with us or the news that ruins it...he signs with another team. I continue to keep my fingers crossed that he is back in Celtic green, but I am preparing for the worst as well. Heck, I decided I am going to go to Borders in Boston on tuesday, have Posey and Eddie House sign my championship DVD and I am going to tell the both of them, wherever they end up, I am a fan of that team because of them. Except LA and the Pistons of course.

Anyways, obviously if Posey does decide to move on to another team, we need a viable back-up small forward that can replace him. After reading through some of the suggestions like Darius Miles and even ole Toine I couldn't help but think  we are totally forgetting about somebody that could be well...available and he has been and would be a gem for us. Does everybody seem to be forgetting that Ryan Gomes is a FA.

One of my all-time favorite Celtics, a part of me was more sad to see him go then Ryan Gomes. A young veteran as I liked to call him. Came in every night and practically gave us a double double easily. How perfect would he be for our sixth man. He knows our system, he knows Doc, he knows and is friends with Paul. He can thrive playing SF but he can play PF if needed. Plus, he is still young! I believe he may be what 25 or 26? I can't believe he hasen't been mentioned as an option. If worst comes to worse with Posey..then why not bring our beloved Gomes back into the fray.

How about no!  I want Posey back and after Posey I can think of many other players I'd rather have.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »

Offline techballer15

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
how about matt barnes to replace posey, he hustles and plays d and can shoot. He can also play the 4 when they go small like posey did

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
In order to sign Gomes and not have Minnesota match, we will probably have to overpay him. 

With regards to Barnes, he is a defensive tweener.  An undersized PF who doesn't have the height to stand in against bigger men and doesn't have the foot speed to handle SF's.   He's also had serious turnover issues in the past.  We might as well sign Bostjan Nachbar. 

As crazy as he is, the closest thing to Posey on the open market is Ruben Patterson (vomit a little bit). 

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How about no!  I want Posey back and after Posey I can think of many other players I'd rather have.

Care to name the other players?

I think Gomes would be a great fit off of our bench.  He'd fit the 3/4 role of Posey, and would bring more offensively.  Defensively, though, it isn't close, and Posey has the edge in intangibles, too.

I get the sense that Minnesota would match, though.  Their team is in decent shape salary-wise, and Gomes is one of the young "vets" that they're going to want leadership from.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 11:42:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
In order to sign Gomes and not have Minnesota match, we will probably have to overpay him. 

With regards to Barnes, he is a defensive tweener.  An undersized PF who doesn't have the height to stand in against bigger men and doesn't have the foot speed to handle SF's.   He's also had serious turnover issues in the past.  We might as well sign Bostjan Nachbar. 

As crazy as he is, the closest thing to Posey on the open market is Ruben Patterson (vomit a little bit). 

If Posey signs elsewhere, then Barnes could be a possibility.  Cs could do worse than signing Barnes....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
If Posey signs elsewhere, then Barnes could be a possibility.  Cs could do worse than signing Barnes....

He's better than Tony Allen

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:44:54 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Ryan Gomes would be a perfect replacement........ but I don't think he'd fully replace Posey.......

We must bring back Posey...... why not a 4 year midlevel with the 4th year a team option?

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:16:12 AM »

Offline MrBlonde

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Posey wants guaranteed money, not team options. For Posey a 4th year team option is the same as a 3 year deal. I doubt Minnie would let Gomes go. Danny might have to wait until the trading deadline and trade either Powe or BBD in order to fill a need.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:20:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If we are going after RFA's I say make a splash ans throw the whole 5 year MLE at Josh Childress.

Maybe Atlanta matches, maybe they don't, maybe the arrange a sign and trade.

I think it's worth a shot.

Gomes is just not the defender we need coming off the bench. He is mediocre on his best days and often, even on his best scoring days, is giving up more points than he scores.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:21:17 AM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
What about Dorell Wright. I think that he may be someone to really look at. He's explosive and can play defense. Seems like Miami hasn't yet established any long term commitments with him.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 12:33:36 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Like Barnes as TA replacement; but not as Posey replacement. Barnes seemed lost during big game situations toward the end of the season.