Author Topic: What was your favorite type of play from the '07-'08 season?  (Read 7886 times)

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Here are some choices. Feel more than welcome to add your own.

(1) Rondo fake behind the back and shot (or pass... like to Leon Powe in game 2 of the Finals RIGHT before halftime).

(2) Fast break opportunity and pass to Ray Allen for an open 3 (everyone stands up in anticipation because they know Ray is going to shoot it).

(3) Alley-oop to KG.

(4) Kendrick Perkins monster two handed slams. We almost never saw them again after a certain point in the regular season, but we did see our fair share of them during the season.

(5) Eddie House catch & shoot for three-point attempt.

(6) Paul Pierce's LOOOOOONNNNGG distance 3's.

(7) Sam Cassell's fadeaway shots two seconds after receiving the ball (j/k...)

(8) whatever you want

I know there are more, but these were the "main" ones that came to mind.

Re: What was your favorite type of play from the '07-'08 season?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:11:16 PM »

Offline wolfceltic215

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • all hail garfield-sama!

(1) Rondo fake behind the back and shot (or pass... like to Leon Powe in game 2 of the Finals RIGHT before halftime).

(2) Fast break opportunity and pass to Ray Allen for an open 3 (everyone stands up in anticipation because they know Ray is going to shoot it).

(3) Alley-oop to KG.

(4) Kendrick Perkins monster two handed slams. We almost never saw them again after a certain point in the regular season, but we did see our fair share of them during the season.

(8) whatever you want

(7.a) Sam Cassell's backing down on opposing PGs and eventually shooting the ball.

(7.b) Sam Cassell's shot when he reaches the frontcourt after bringing the ball from the backcourt.
1, 2, 3 UBUNTU!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:32:42 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

(3) Alley-oop to KG.

(8) whatever you want

I've noticed a pretty kind and praising tone towards KG from you on these forums... pretty strange for someone that so openly hates and criticizes him elsewhere.  What gives?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 06:41:21 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
I've noticed a pretty kind and praising tone towards KG from you on these forums... pretty strange for someone that so openly hates and criticizes him elsewhere.  What gives?
Hey ThatstheDagger AKA Big Ticket, I wasn't giving KG any more props than I usually give him, I was just listing a number of choices that I think come to mind that were "exciting" and were memorable and that we got to see multiple times but never got sick of.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:41:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
My favorite type of play from the Celtics was when they played the type of defense that left the opponent with 2 defenders men on the ball wherever they went with it.  When the Celts were at their finest it looked like they were playing 10-men against the other guys 5.

That and Rondo's fancy stuff when it was working.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
For the record, I will go with the Ray Allen 3 point shot as my favorite play. Man it's SO fun watching him be left open while the crowd's ready to explode when the shot is there.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Hey ThatstheDagger AKA Big Ticket, I wasn't giving KG any more props than I usually give him, I was just listing a number of choices that I think come to mind that were "exciting" and were memorable and that we got to see multiple times but never got sick of.

I wasn't specifically talking about this thread, but others where you've been praising him openly (not understanding why people put Yao in KG's class, for instance).

And I'd either have to take the alley oops for KG coming off a backscreen from Pierce/Posey, or when Ray Allen drives to the basket.... he seems like he's moving in slow motion, but his moves are so smooth and tactical and his layups so technically sound that he always makes it.  Any time Ray Allen shoots is also nice.  I won't complain about the results, but Pierce's game/shot is not the most pleasing visually there is...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
For the record, I will go with the Ray Allen 3 point shot as my favorite play. Man it's SO fun watching him be left open while the crowd's ready to explode when the shot is there.

I second that with watching Ray Allen shoot a 3, the most beautiful jump shot in the game.   Also a fan when when KG broke out the occasional mini dream shake on the block.  Paul's footwork on his patented old school drives is underrated and fun to watch too.  

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

I wasn't specifically talking about this thread, but others where you've been praising him openly (not understanding why people put Yao in KG's class, for instance).

And I'd either have to take the alley oops for KG coming off a backscreen from Pierce/Posey, or when Ray Allen drives to the basket.... he seems like he's moving in slow motion, but his moves are so smooth and tactical and his layups so technically sound that he always makes it.  Any time Ray Allen shoots is also nice.  I won't complain about the results, but Pierce's game/shot is not the most pleasing visually there is...
Look man, I'm not going to get into an ad hominem dominated war with you over here like we do on ESPN.

I am a very astute observer of the game. I pride myself in my objectivity. I call things as I see them. I don't carry an agenda that supports one player over the other UNLESS it is totally warranted.

The reason I don't give KG anymore credit than he already gets from the national & local media outlets is because they sensationalize his impact on this Celtics team. I'm tired of hearing about how KG singularly 'changed the culture' in Boston. No he didn't. Was he one of the factors in regards to our improvement? No doubt. But he was just one factor, and we didn't get him for nothing mind you.

After watching KG over a full 82 game season (may have missed 1 or 2 regular season games, but that's it... total), I can honestly report the following findings:

(1) KG chokes when the game is on the line. The only regular season games he was 'clutch' in were the home games versus Minnesota and Houston. Beyond that, he was basically a non factor in crunch time, unless the Celtics were already in a groove. I'm not saying Pierce didn't have his problems with hitting timely shots, but him and Ray were more reliable options, as were a few others like Posey and PJ Brown. KG is the type of player who resembles a top 2 or 3 talent in the game when the Celtics are in a favorable momentum swing that has them up and looking down at their opponents. Like he'll hit shot after shot after shot when the game's already in the bank or close to it. But when the Celtics are giving up their lead, or are in a tense situation, I've seen him fumble too many times.

(2) Pierce is not 'flashy' at times, but he's one of the most creative offensive players in the NBA, and has been over the last 7-8 years. He's gotten a little bit thicker, but in his absolute prime when he was cut he got to the rim much quicker and didn't rely so much on jump shots. But he's shown he can still get the job done as an older dog.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I am a very astute observer of the game.

Don't sprain your should patting yourself on the back, dude.  I think that's how Perk developed a chronic shoulder problem. 

My favorite play of the year was the team warming up before Opening Night with the Wizards.  I watched them for about three minutes and knew that this wasn't the Celtics of the last two decades. Watching KG nail jumper after jumper with the seriousness of a neurosurgeon, after years of watching Gerald Green types warm up like guys at the local court before a pick up game, was a most welcome site

As was the 119 games that followed.   

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
PPs four point play, regardless of the call  ;D

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 09:05:22 PM »

Offline serpico

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't know if I have a favorite type of play, but my 2 favorite plays are:

1.  Rondo's hesitation fake leaving Nash in the dust.

2.  Rondo dunking on Detroit.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I love when Ray hits a 3 to win the game.

First against Toronto..it was crazy with the time running down the video feed went out on CSN and all we got was the audio, but then we hear "RAY ALLEN FOR 3"

Then the play against the bobcats, where Eddie gets his hand on the ball Pierce gets to Allen and he hits the dagger and silences the crowd.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous