Author Topic: african american coaches  (Read 8650 times)

Re: african american coaches
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Discussion of affirmative action is about as political as you can get.  I expect people know that, and I expect they further know that political discussions aren't allowed here.  Knock it off.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Discussion of affirmative action is about as political as you can get.  I expect people know that, and I expect they further know that political discussions aren't allowed here.  Knock it off.

Just curious, if we're discussing coaches being given an interview because of their race (NFL example) is that ok? Its sports related and very relevent to this topic, but I can see how it could go down a political road.
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Just curious, if we're discussing coaches being given an interview because of their race (NFL example) is that ok? Its sports related and very relevent to this topic, but I can see how it could go down a political road.

If people could keep their comments only sports-related, that's probably workable.  However, that's not what was happening.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
just to create an interesting diccussion.

before KG arrived in Boston, people were saying that he would not come here because boston is a racist city.
i have only been living in boston for 9 yrs now, so i dont know what reasons they have for saying that.

but from the 5 african american coaches to win a championship, the celtics have 3 of them,

Bill russell, KC jones, and now doc rivers.

other 2 would be: Lenny Wilkins (Seattle Supersonics), and Al Attles (Golden State Warriors).

i think i also remember from prior discussions someone saying that the celts were the first to have all black starting five, and also our current team is mostly african american players.

so on what grounds are people saying, to what seems to me, are foolish statements

when players make comments about boston being a racist city, it is always about the city of boston, not about the boston celtics.  so even though our organization has broken numerous barriers, it doesnt accurately reflect on the city itself.

in no way am i saying that boston is racist, but there is definately racism within the city.  this can be said for almost any city in the country though.

this photo is so powerful, symbolic, and disturbing...all wrapped into one.  everytime i see it, it makes me reflect on society....where we were, where we are now, and where we will be in the future.