Author Topic: Najera and Hayes sign with Nets  (Read 3126 times)

Re: Najera and Hayes sign with Nets
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:59:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Hmmm what?  They'll be competitive but I don't know if they will be particularly dangerous???

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 02:32:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Two poor signings

Najera is the 7-8th big man in the rotation - Yi, Williams, Lopez, Boone, Anderson, Swift and likely Krstic. You got a bunch of young bigs there that need to play. It's not like Najera is a balancing act as a player because they've got big men of all variety and I'm taking both Sean Williams and Boone ahead of him for defense/rebounding. Then you have Yi and Anderson's perimeter game again both are better than Najera at this. Lopez in the post and with the face up game, Krstic similar there and again both are better than Najera at this. I'm not sacrificing any one of those guys minutes for Najera. Then the ultra athletic freak that is known as Stro Swift who can keep the players seats warm while they play the game.

Hayes is just not good. He's a bad defender and very inconsistent. He relies heavily on his teammates to help him get good shots. Hayes is going to look a lot worse without his Pistons hero's bailing him out on both ends of the court. Jersey signed him for his perimeter shooting (they're desperate for more perimeter shooting) but I think they should have looked elsewhere.

I wonder what they both signed for. Najera was looking for a lot of money to start off free agency, wonder if he copped on to that not happening and signed for less.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Najera signed for $14 million/4 years (with the salaries decreasing from the 1st year). Hayes took the full LLE for 1 season, team option for the second.

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/nets/archives/2008/07/add_two_more.html#more

I think they will release Stro, S&T Krstic and try to find a way of moving Hassell. The reasons to hire Najera are probably related to intangibles - a hard-working veteran who can show how to hustle and play tough to the youngsters, Hayes is basically much cheaper than Boki.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:41:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Najera signed for $14 million/4 years (with the salaries decreasing from the 1st year). Hayes took the full LLE for 1 season, team option for the second.

Hahahahaha .... that's so terrible it's funny

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Hahahahaha .... that's so terrible it's funny
Other than the Scal deal, this is exactly the type of signing that Danny Ainge does NOT do.  I think Rod Thorn is a good GM, but these signings really don't do much for the Nets.  I mean why bother?  They are blowing it up in NJ so why not just go all the way with the youth and sign LeBron with the move to Brooklyn?  Nets must be nervous that they won't win any games without a few vets around.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think Najera is a very good role player. He would have made an excellent Celtic. But I sippose they don't need another undersized 4.  ;D

I think Najera is worth $3 mil a season to a team trying to finish a rotation, and move up the playoff ladder. However, i think it was down right dumb of NJ to sign him for more than 2 years, loosing some 2010 cap space!