Author Topic: Rumor: WFAN reports Posey is gone?  (Read 16835 times)

Re: Rumor: WFAN reports Posey is gone?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree, Chris.

Nonetheless, the spectre of adding the Walking Cadaver, Patrick O'Blount, and letting Posey walk are two steps in a pretty doggone bleak off-season.

We just won the NBA Finals...short of career ending injuries to two of the big 3, I don't know if a "bleak" offseason is possible.  Maybe its not ideal, but as long as the big 3 are here, we are still in pretty [dang] good shape.

exactly, this is nothing to get bent out of shape over, we still have all of our starters from our championship team, no need to panic, It is also good to try to get younger rather than older now that Perk and Rondo are championship veterans rather than young question marks.

I think it's fair to say that without Posey, P.J., and House we don't win the championship last year.  If we lose those guys, and their replacements are, say, Paddy O'Blount, Boki Nachbar, and Tyrone Lue, I don't really like our chances of repeating.

Hopefully Posey comes back, we resign House, and Danny comes to his senses and finds a legit backup big man.

But they are not.  Right now, O'Bryant replaced Pollard (he was the backup center for the majority of the center...we can replace PJ at a later time), and we have no idea who the other guys are. 

Free agent period is not even a week old, lets not panic here.

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I agree, Chris.

Nonetheless, the spectre of adding the Walking Cadaver, Patrick O'Blount, and letting Posey walk are two steps in a pretty doggone bleak off-season.

We just won the NBA Finals...short of career ending injuries to two of the big 3, I don't know if a "bleak" offseason is possible.  Maybe its not ideal, but as long as the big 3 are here, we are still in pretty [dang] good shape.

exactly, this is nothing to get bent out of shape over, we still have all of our starters from our championship team, no need to panic, It is also good to try to get younger rather than older now that Perk and Rondo are championship veterans rather than young question marks.

I think it's fair to say that without Posey, P.J., and House we don't win the championship last year.  If we lose those guys, and their replacements are, say, Paddy O'Blount, Boki Nachbar, and Tyrone Lue, I don't really like our chances of repeating.

Hopefully Posey comes back, we resign House, and Danny comes to his senses and finds a legit backup big man.

But they are not.  Right now, O'Bryant replaced Pollard (he was the backup center for the majority of the center...we can replace PJ at a later time), and we have no idea who the other guys are. 

It's not panic, it's a reaction to the "it doesn't really matter who we fill our roster with, because we still have the 'big three'" mindset some have demonstrated.  I don't think that that logic holds up.

We barely got by Cleveland, with the team we did have.  It literally came down to the closing minutes of Game 7.  If our team downgrades, even marginally, it damages our championship chances.  We're already losing P.J. to retirement.  I'd like to see us keep the rest of the losses to a minimum, or to at least find strong replacements. 

Last year proved that veterans win.  By all indications, we're going into next season expecting contributions from at least one rookie (and possibly two), Pruitt, and O'Blount.  I don't like that mindset much, and I'm hopeful that Danny pulls a rabbit out of his hat to make things right.  If he brings back Posey, that would go a long way in assuaging any fears, but that is by no means a given.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »

Offline Green Mountain

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
The C's need to set a time line for this Posey thing. What's the difference between whats happening now and making an offer for a restricted free agent? At least the restricted free agents have a seven day maximum after the contract is signed.

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
...By all indications, we're going into next season expecting contributions from at least one rookie (and possibly two), Pruitt, and O'Blount... 
C'mon Roy, do you realistically believe that or is that just the snapshot of where we are on July 12?  I hope it's the latter.  I do not expect significant contributions from Walker and POB.  Walker is an unsigned 2nd rounder coming off injuries.  POB has to prove he deserves minutes ahead of Powe, Davis and yes even Scal.  Pruitt maybe see minutes but is still a 3rd string PG at best and I fully expect a vet PG signing such as bringing back Cassell or maybe signing KG's other buddy Tyronne Lue.  House is still in play as well.  If Posey is gone (and I agree with you that he should be the top priority) then Tony Allen could be signed.  Either way, it means Giddens has work to do to crack the wing rotation.  Bottom line is that the rookies, Pruitt and POB are not likely to be significant contributors next season.

I don't expect any news about Posey before the Monday championship DVD release.  He's coming to town for the event.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
...By all indications, we're going into next season expecting contributions from at least one rookie (and possibly two), Pruitt, and O'Blount... 
C'mon Roy, do you realistically believe that or is that just the snapshot of where we are on July 12?  I hope it's the latter.  I do not expect significant contributions from Walker and POB.  Walker is an unsigned 2nd rounder coming off injuries.  POB has to prove he deserves minutes ahead of Powe, Davis and yes even Scal.  Pruitt maybe see minutes but is still a 3rd string PG at best and I fully expect a vet PG signing such as bringing back Cassell or maybe signing KG's other buddy Tyronne Lue.  House is still in play as well.  If Posey is gone (and I agree with you that he should be the top priority) then Tony Allen could be signed.  Either way, it means Giddens has work to do to crack the wing rotation.  Bottom line is that the rookies, Pruitt and POB are not likely to be significant contributors next season.

I don't expect any news about Posey before the Monday championship DVD release.  He's coming to town for the event.

(1) Surferdad -- good to see you on here again!
(2) Interesting about the championship DVD release on Monday and Posey in town for that -- you might be on to something there.  I will keep my fingers crossed on the Posey situation....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:54:37 AM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I agree, Chris.

It's not panic, it's a reaction to the "it doesn't really matter who we fill our roster with, because we still have the 'big three'" mindset some have demonstrated.  I don't think that that logic holds up.

We barely got by Cleveland, with the team we did have.  It literally came down to the closing minutes of Game 7.  If our team downgrades, even marginally, it damages our championship chances.  We're already losing P.J. to retirement.  I'd like to see us keep the rest of the losses to a minimum, or to at least find strong replacements. 

Last year proved that veterans win.  By all indications, we're going into next season expecting contributions from at least one rookie (and possibly two), Pruitt, and O'Blount.  I don't like that mindset much, and I'm hopeful that Danny pulls a rabbit out of his hat to make things right.  If he brings back Posey, that would go a long way in assuaging any fears, but that is by no means a given.

A year ago, people were saying how House isn't a true point guard, debating between getting Posey or Ruben Patterson, saying how Pollard sucks and overall how weak our bench was. Now, all of a sudden, there's a notion that we can't win without bringing that bench back.

The idea that we need another veteran center right now is false IMO. We were the best team in the regular season basically with Big Baby and Powe as our backup big men. Pollard was injured for much of the season and PJ didn't play much during the regular season and was really rusty when he did. So I think that we'll be fine with what we have in the big man department and there's no one worth getting unless Kurt Thomas wants to come over. Also, just like last year, there's a possibility of adding a veteran center later in the season whether it be PJ, Mourning or someone else.

You state that we proved that veteran teams win championships last year. Well, we had Rondo, Perkins, Powe and Big Baby as part of our regular rotation and playing big roles. Now these players have gained experience from last year and are young veterans. I don't see why Giddens can't make similar contributions to Big Baby last year, Walker to Pruitt and O'Bryant to Powe. We relied on young players last year and we will rely on some this year too...because they're cheap with some talent.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Thanks Cman.  I don't have as much time these days to work the message boards, but this is the end of my 2-week vacation and I'm starved for off-season news.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We don't just have the big 3, we have all of our starters back. And our struggles in Atlanta and Cleveland was more a case of the team learning to play together in the playoffs than anything else. We played better in each series than we did in the series before, and if we'd played Cleveland again after we played LA (assuming we were healthy) they wouldn't have taken us to 7 games.

Last year we went into the playoffs with no starters having been in the playoffs in 2 years and none of the starters having played in the postseason together save a few minutes that Paul and KP played against the Pacers. Next year we'll go into the playoffs with all of the starters and some of the reserves having the experience and confidence of winning that title. That will make a big difference.

None of this means we don't need a bench or we're shoo-ins for the title, but I don't think our margin is as razor thin as the early rounds of the playoffs suggested.

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 02:48:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This may be a bogus rumor, but the chances of Posey returning to the Celtics decrease with each passing day.

I actually think they are constantly increasing.  It is clear that Danny has drawn a line in the sand.  They simply are not going to give Posey what he is looking for.  However, every passing day says that no one else is giving him it either.  Right now, two things could happen, another team will cave, and give Posey the money, or Posey will come back to the C's.  Each day that passes probably moves Posey closer and closer to Boston as the realization sinks in that he is not getting what he wants elsewhere.
I agree that their chances are increasing too

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

We don't just have the big 3, we have all of our starters back. And our struggles in Atlanta and Cleveland was more a case of the team learning to play together in the playoffs than anything else. We played better in each series than we did in the series before, and if we'd played Cleveland again after we played LA (assuming we were healthy) they wouldn't have taken us to 7 games.

Last year we went into the playoffs with no starters having been in the playoffs in 2 years and none of the starters having played in the postseason together save a few minutes that Paul and KP played against the Pacers. Next year we'll go into the playoffs with all of the starters and some of the reserves having the experience and confidence of winning that title. That will make a big difference.

None of this means we don't need a bench or we're shoo-ins for the title, but I don't think our margin is as razor thin as the early rounds of the playoffs suggested.

yeah, but the starters can't sub in for the other starters. you simply can't have a big drop off when your bench is in a game - especially in the playoffs.

plus, the season is so long and the playoffs even longer. you can't ride your starters all season. the bench absolutely has to be productive any way you slice it. i think history tells us that you don't win TItles without key contributions from the bench.

with that said, it is not essential to have the specific players back, but it is essential that you have replacements that can contribute at the same level as Posey, House and PJ.

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
with that said, it is not essential to have the specific players back, but it is essential that you have replacements that can contribute at the same level as Posey, House and PJ.

Agree.  However, the combinations available in the current free agent market don't look that promising.   The question is whether we can take a big downgrade in bench effectiveness AND still win the championship. 

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 10:40:45 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Agree.  However, the combinations available in the current free agent market don't look that promising.   The question is whether we can take a big downgrade in bench effectiveness AND still win the championship. 

it certainly is possible. like Bball said the starters will be better together next year. but i just think that when you look at the Title winning clubs, you almost always see at least one or two key bench guys. and wing is a great place to have a guy like that...

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
'Danny has drawn a line in the sand'

you may be correct that Ainge has made Posey his last offer - take it or leave it .......... if true, it seems to be that Danny Boy is working this summer in direct contradiction with what he did last summer, which was to make two suicidal all-or-nothing trades for an immediate title.

thankfully, it worked out - but to now start operating from a 'we gotta protect our future' perspective works against the very talented but aging team that we have. you got Ray Ray & KG to win now - so other decisions should be in concert with that philosophy. in other words - give Posey the 4th year as a reward for getting us over the top and help facilitate the chances of another banner from this bunch before we rebuild in 4 years anyway.

Yeah, but DA wasn't in firesale mode to round out the bench last year either. You make those kind of "win now" decisions and salary commitments when talking about bringing in HOF guys. Once that fell into place, DA signed a bunch of guys to one year contracts and it won a title. I fail to see how being a bit stringent with an extended deal for Posey is inconsistent with last year's approach from a management perspective.

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 11:15:49 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Yeah, but DA wasn't in firesale mode to round out the bench last year either. You make those kind of "win now" decisions and salary commitments when talking about bringing in HOF guys. Once that fell into place, DA signed a bunch of guys to one year contracts and it won a title. I fail to see how being a bit stringent with an extended deal for Posey is inconsistent with last year's approach from a management perspective.

Not inconsistent, however as many people have pointed out, the options this year aren't that great.

If Posey signs elsewhere, whose number 1 on your list?  Kenyon Dooling or Ricky Davis?

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

Not inconsistent, however as many people have pointed out, the options this year aren't that great.

If Posey signs elsewhere, whose number 1 on your list?  Kenyon Dooling or Ricky Davis?

Yup, that's probably true. The circumstances are certainly different, though if I recall, Posey wasn't first on the list last year either. Reggie Miller, anybody? Heh, I'm certainly glad that particular deal didn't work out. ;)

I just think it is false to suggest that somehow management has changed the approach from a "win now" attitude to something different this offseason. The "win now" decision was to go with Al and friends vs. KG and that decision is made and gone. The approach to building a full roster and handling extra salary may not have changed at all.