Author Topic: As to Ray Allen Trade Ideas - an Explanation...  (Read 14752 times)

As to Ray Allen Trade Ideas - an Explanation...
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:02:24 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Ray Allen has been the best player on two teams in his career, Milwaukee and Seattle.

Before being traded to Boston, he averaged almost 27 Ppg.

He is an 8-time NBA All-Star: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.

He is a career 89% free throw shooter; 4th best in the league last year.

Ray Allen helped Rajon Rondo develop a jump shot, which prevented teams from cheating off Rondo all year, as you may recall.

Allen sacrificed more than either of the other two stars on the team in order to win a championship. Compare his FGM/A for the last year with his previous years (factoring in the times he had missed certain games) and compare his fg%; there was no drop off in efficiency, even though there was a drop off in the number of attempts per game.

I recall the C's winning at least a few playoff games because of Ray Allen's production.

Bottom line: we do not win Banner 17 without Ray Allen.

SO: if you are going to propose a trade idea, please consider equal value in exchange. Equal value considers the chemistry impact of trading him (for the younger players as well as the other two stars); it considers his production and willingness to sacrifice, and it considers how well liked he is by the Boston fan base. Finally, it considers the fact that he is 32, and is set to be paid over $30 Million for the next two seasons.

I see him as essentially un-tradeable, given that combination of factors. If you are into trade ideas, I would probably be MORE interested to see your ideas for other teams - given that we just won the title with this team and all.

But maybe that's just me...

Re: As to Ray Allen Trade Ideas - an Explanation...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
absolutely agree. what a clutch performance by the guy in the playoffs working his way out of an awful slump and just burying the Lakers in the finals + defense on Kobe + chemistry and unselfishness + RA is only our best outside shooting threat which is crucial on this team.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:42:51 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
No need to trade him.  Keep him until his production really has a decrease.  I don't think you'll find a better 3rd option in the league.
do it

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Ray Allen has been the best player on two teams in his career, Milwaukee and Seattle.

Ray Allen helped Rajon Rondo develop a jump shot, which prevented teams from cheating off Rondo all year, as you may recall.

Allen sacrificed more than either of the other two stars on the team in order to win a championship. Compare his FGM/A for the last year with his previous years (factoring in the times he had missed certain games) and compare his fg%; there was no drop off in efficiency, even though there was a drop off in the number of attempts per game.

I recall the C's winning at least a few playoff games because of Ray Allen's production.

SO: if you are going to propose a trade idea, please consider equal value in exchange. Equal value considers the chemistry impact of trading him (for the younger players as well as the other two stars); it considers his production and willingness to sacrifice, and it considers how well liked he is by the Boston fan base. Finally, it considers the fact that he is 32, and is set to be paid over $30 Million for the next two seasons.

I see him as essentially un-tradeable, given that combination of factors. If you are into trade ideas, I would probably be MORE interested to see your ideas for other teams - given that we just won the title with this team and all.

And the masses agree....
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:52:52 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think if people want to propose trade ideas they can include anyone and any team they want. I thought that was what this sight was for? I mean if someone has an idea, it does not mean you have to read it. So if I was you I would just not click on that thread.
Obviously yo do click on them so you must like to read them, even if you dont agree with them you must at least get a chuckle out og it! If you as me, If it make you luagh or smile a little who cares. The world is about opinions and choices!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 12:53:26 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Thank you.

Ray is a great guy/teamate.  He is relentless in his preparations and it has rubbed off on the younger guys.  Keep him on the team and let his contract expire when it does.  He comes off for the summer of 2010 correct?

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline miggy123

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0

1. Trade Ray Allen to the L.A. Clippers for draft picks and cap relief.

2. Sign ethier Emeka Okafor or Josh Smith with the cap room.

3. Sign Ricky Davis for mid level to play shooting gaurd 19.7ppg 5.3apg in his last year in Boston.

Benifits -  We become younger and more athletic! Love Ray but this team can win and be good longer.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5

No, its not just you at all, a TP and thank you for expressing my sentiments, exactly!

Maybe the team might gel next year, right on schedule ;)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5

3. Sign Ricky Davis for mid level to play shooting gaurd 19.7ppg 5.3apg in his last year in Boston.

Benifits -  We become younger and more athletic! Love Ray but this team can win and be good longer.

That team would be younger, and that team would be more atheletic but they never were World Champions as Ray now is on this team. But that team woud be "good" longer, that I'll give you, if they would commit to sign while we shoped Ray, I guess, in your senerio. It's not quite like trading cards with one other card holder, you know, of course...zing...

Have fun...
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 01:19:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Benifits -  We become younger and more athletic! Love Ray but this team can win and be good longer.

Trading Ray Allen won't give you cap room to sign Okafor or Smith.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:57:28 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Benifits -  We become younger and more athletic! Love Ray but this team can win and be good longer.

Trading Ray Allen won't give you cap room to sign Okafor and Smith.
you could however trade Ray Allen for Josh Smith or Okafor in a sign and trade.

Ray Allen and Scalabrine

for

Speedy Claxton and Josh Smith (average of 13 to 14 million a year)

OR

Ray Allen and Perkins

for

Gerald Wallace and Emeka Okafor (average of 13 to 14 million a year)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think if people want to propose trade ideas they can include anyone and any team they want. I thought that was what this sight was for? I mean if someone has an idea, it does not mean you have to read it. So if I was you I would just not click on that thread.
Obviously yo do click on them so you must like to read them, even if you dont agree with them you must at least get a chuckle out og it! If you as me, If it make you luagh or smile a little who cares. The world is about opinions and choices!

True.  I think the disconnect comes in because some people use trade ideas just for fun, whereas others use them to be as realistic as possible as a means of talking about ideas Danny should actually try.

Neither one is any more or less permitted here than the other.  On the other hand, I think it's also proper for people to critique the ideas of others once they put them out their for comment and public consumption.  All I would ask is that people be constructive and avoid demeaning others; comments like "stupid trade idea" never serve much of a purpose.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 02:34:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Trading Ray Allen won't give you cap room to sign Okafor and Smith.
you could however trade Ray Allen for Josh Smith or Okafor in a sign and trade.

Ray Allen and Scalabrine

for

Speedy Claxton and Josh Smith (average of 13 to 14 million a year)

OR

Ray Allen and Perkins

for

Gerald Wallace and Emeka Okafor (average of 13 to 14 million a year)

In each case, though, isn't the original team better off letting their guy walk for nothing?  Ray Allen doesn't have a lot of value to a team that is young and/or rebuilding.  He's be best traded to a team: 1) that is on the verge of contention (in which case, they're likely not going to give us any players of immediate help), or 2) that has a large deal it wants to clear off of its books.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »

Offline scalabrine44mvp

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
WHY IN THE WORLD ARE THERE RAY ALLEN TRADE CONVOS ON HERE EVERYDAY??? Oh wait I know why. Because he had a bad slump durin the first two rounds of the playoffs. But Wait!!! Every player has a bad streak now and then. Ray's just came during the playoffs, but even without his all-star shooting ability it the first two rounds, we still won. You know why? Because we have a team and thats why we call the Boston CelticS a team. We have a full roster so that when a player does have a bad streak, their TEAM can pick it up. Why are we talking about trading away Ray when we just won banner 17. If I had my choice I would bring back the same team we had last year. Hopefully Danny Ainge and the Celtics organaztion is smarter then some of you want to be GM's on Celticsblog. Give Ray a break, when hes on, he can completely light up the scoreboard.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
scal44mvp - i think there is a 0.000001% chance Ray gets traded this summer/next season.

I think he's the most likely though of our top 5 or 6 so his name gets brought up more than anyone else for folks who like to think of trades for fun.

I do think --- sadly --- that he will be shopped next summer (along with yer boy Scal) as an expiring contract for teams looking to make a splash in the 2010. I say sadly b/c i'd like to see Ray retire a Celtic. Unfortunatley, he represents the best opportunity to upgrade the talent on our team though moving past the "Next Big 3" period.

I think the C's will be looking for one of 2 things if they move Ray:

1) a pakcage of young talent, or
2) somewhat equal talent with one more year on their deal (we'll be players in 2011 FA market if anything) and an "asset" or 2.

the only things i see out there are:

A. Allen for Kirilenko
B. Allen for Jamal Crawford, J. Jeffries + #1 pick -- i"d make it 2 #1 picks and see how desperate NY is to get caproom for Lebron
C. Allen for Dalembert + Willie Green

again, i'm not crazy about any of these, but looking ahead, they do give us more caproom in 2011 when we might try and throw a huge offer at Kevin Durant... :)

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!