Author Topic: I heard Bartlestein on 570AM in LA tonight  (Read 6241 times)

Re: I heard Bartlestein on 570AM in LA tonight
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 10:26:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The Hornets have $22m tied up in Peja ($13m), Rasuel Butler $3.6m, and last year's MLE signee Mo Pete ($5.8m).  Mike James is on the book for $6m fr two more years too.  CP3's extension will add $12m to their payroll the season after this one too.

I don't think these guys can handle another full MLE signing this year. They need to develop Julian Wright.   

According to hoopshype, New Orleans only has $58M on the books for this year (CP's big contract numbers kick in next year), so they can definitely afford to pay Posey.  NO is in a pretty good position to use the full MLE this year (here is the link: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm ).  They are the team I am most worried about.  The Cavs have a very high payroll, and that is before resigning West and Gibson. 

NO has $58M on the books for 9 guys. Add in Posey and 3-4 more and you're mid-upper $60s. Pretty decent payroll (probably top 10 or so). Next year they have $51M for 8 players. Add in Paul and Posey and 3-4 players and you're approaching luxury tax.

Re: I heard Bartlestein on 570AM in LA tonight
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 10:29:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The Hornets have $22m tied up in Peja ($13m), Rasuel Butler $3.6m, and last year's MLE signee Mo Pete ($5.8m).  Mike James is on the book for $6m fr two more years too.  CP3's extension will add $12m to their payroll the season after this one too.

I don't think these guys can handle another full MLE signing this year. They need to develop Julian Wright.   

According to hoopshype, New Orleans only has $58M on the books for this year (CP's big contract numbers kick in next year), so they can definitely afford to pay Posey.  NO is in a pretty good position to use the full MLE this year (here is the link: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm ).  They are the team I am most worried about.  The Cavs have a very high payroll, and that is before resigning West and Gibson. 

NO has $58M on the books for 9 guys. Add in Posey and 3-4 more and you're mid-upper $60s. Pretty decent payroll (probably top 10 or so). Next year they have $51M for 8 players. Add in Paul and Posey and 3-4 players and you're approaching luxury tax.

True, but you also have a team that could be going to the Finals.  You also have a young Chris Paul that you want to keep happy (I don't know for sure but would guess that like LeBron and other young up and comers he is on a short contract).  I guess it comes down to whether the owner will pony up the $$$ or not.
Celtics fan for life.