Author Topic: I heard Bartlestein on 570AM in LA tonight  (Read 6233 times)

I heard Bartlestein on 570AM in LA tonight
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Bartlestein was interviewed by the Lakers station out here. 

He went out of his way, way out of his way, to say that the Celtics were still "in the running", and that it is the luxury tax that is the issue with the Cs.  He also indicated that teams were trying to move salary to be able to sign Posey.  Maybe C's shopping Scal?

Bartlestein also said that the Lakers were a very unlikely destination because of the "glut" they have at SF, which disappointed the announcers (Laker fans).

All in all I got the feeling that Posey wants to be a Celtic and the Celts want Posey.  Hopefully, just a matter of time.

Re: I heard Bartlestein on 570AM in LA tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:48:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have no idea what's meant by teams needing to move salary.  I think this comes down to us vs. New Orleans, and I think the Celts will ultimately win out, on a three year deal.

Bartelstein seems to be a pretty decent negotiator, though.  If he can get a front-loaded four year, $17 million contract for Turiaf, I'd say he's good at his job.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I have no idea what's meant by teams needing to move salary.

Cleveland it the only one I can think of hesitating on touching their MLE with their salary cap concerns.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Cleveland it the only one I can think of hesitating on touching their MLE with their salary cap concerns.

Yeah, but they're so far over the luxury tax that I can't imagine them being able to clear enough space to be able to comfortably sign Posey.  Unless they're going to somehow clear $10 million, I can't imagine them being players in free agency.  I think the way the Cavs will improve is via trade.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Yeah, but they're so far over the luxury tax that I can't imagine them being able to clear enough space to be able to comfortably sign Posey.  Unless they're going to somehow clear $10 million, I can't imagine them being players in free agency.  I think the way the Cavs will improve is via trade.

Agree with you. Approx. 80million+, and they still need to sign Gibson.  Someone should make competent offers to both Gibson and Delonte... I'm inclined to believe that Cleveland will not match for both of them.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:20:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Well we know from Steve W.'s article that the Clippers tried to swap cap space for Zach Randolph.  Maybe the Clippers swap cap space for Ben Wallace, freeing up money for Cleveland to sign Posey?  Clippers really want a PF, so maybe that won't work (unless Kaman can make the switch from C to PF).  Cleveland would probably have to sweeten the pot, though....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 11:22:16 PM »

Offline desertgreen

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 0
just need a team with a trade exception to take Scals and return us virtually nothing or ... we'd need to do a sign and trade - scals for somebody we want at a lower salary slot. Don't think Cleveland will get Posey - he plays the same position as Lebron. Unless Cleveland moves Wally or other contracts I think our only competition is Detroit or New Orleans and Detroit needs to move a core player or two and New Orleans is a small market.

The issue with Posey is the length of his contract and the amount of minutes he plays for those $. Maybe Memphis will do Danny a favor and take Scals or else Oklahoma City - they've got a glut at C/PF (Hardin,Ibaka, Petro, Swift, Sene)and we need a big. Think something will break.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:02 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think Bartlestein is indicating that New Orleans is the prime hunt for Posey. Teams may not be trying to clear space AS WE SPEAK, however I think by intimating that a team would risk trading players / picks to make room for a player like Posey, as NO has done by trading its first, I think he is signifying that we're in a bidding war with New Orleans. I may be completely off-base, but this is just one way of looking at it that I thought I might share.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Okay, here is my idea for how Cleveland can clear up space to sign Posey--

Trade Wally Z. + JJ Hickson for cap space from LA Clippers.  Clippers were going to trade cap space for Zach Randolph's contract which would be about $14.7M this year -- the two Cleveland contracts equal this amount.  Wally Z. would replace Cuttino Mobley and Clippers get a nice young PF in Hickson.  Wally Z's contract expires in a year giving the Clippers something to work with at the Feb trade deadline if they want.  Cavs get the cap space they desperately need (they would be about $5M below the luxury tax limit which should allow them to sign Posey and not worry about tax implications).  

Now, I am not saying I want the above to happen... my preference would be Posey with the Cs.  
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I think maybe the Cavs want to keep their pick. But you could be right... stop giving them ideas Cman!

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 12:44:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Well, if the Lakers "have a glut at SF", I don't see how Posey can be considering Cleveland, who have a certain guy named James who commands 40 minutes at this position. I doubt Posey will be happy to spend 20 minutes at SG/PF.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 12:45:55 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I have no idea what's meant by teams needing to move salary.  I think this comes down to us vs. New Orleans, and I think the Celts will ultimately win out, on a three year deal.

Bartelstein seems to be a pretty decent negotiator, though.  If he can get a front-loaded four year, $17 million contract for Turiaf, I'd say he's good at his job.
What is with the half of the league being singed to Bartlestein? I am not sure how the guy can negotiate for both House and Posey, having in mind that technically they are competing for the same chunk of money with the Celtics.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 01:47:30 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Well, if the Lakers "have a glut at SF", I don't see how Posey can be considering Cleveland, who have a certain guy named James who commands 40 minutes at this position. I doubt Posey will be happy to spend 20 minutes at SG/PF.

A combo of Posey/LeBron would work perfectly. Posey would defend the opponent best player, allowing LeBron to rest on the defensive side and he'd play on the weak-side on the other end.

Okay, here is my idea for how Cleveland can clear up space to sign Posey--

Trade Wally Z. + JJ Hickson for cap space from LA Clippers.  Clippers were going to trade cap space for Zach Randolph's contract which would be about $14.7M this year -- the two Cleveland contracts equal this amount.  Wally Z. would replace Cuttino Mobley and Clippers get a nice young PF in Hickson.  Wally Z's contract expires in a year giving the Clippers something to work with at the Feb trade deadline if they want.  Cavs get the cap space they desperately need (they would be about $5M below the luxury tax limit which should allow them to sign Posey and not worry about tax implications). 

Now, I am not saying I want the above to happen... my preference would be Posey with the Cs. 

I'm sure the Clippers won't do that unless they can't grab one of the RFAs still in play (Smith, Okafor). Even if they don't succeed, they'll probably save the money. And Mobley is still there, isn't he? As well as their lotto pick. Also, I believe Cleveland can get more for Wally's expiring than salary relieve.

What this can be is a very small trade, using some trade exception, to allow a team to offer Posey the full MLE without going over the luxury tax threshold. The luxury tax rebate itself can pay half of his 4th year salary.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:37:44 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The Hornets have $22m tied up in Peja ($13m), Rasuel Butler $3.6m, and last year's MLE signee Mo Pete ($5.8m).  Mike James is on the book for $6m fr two more years too.  CP3's extension will add $12m to their payroll the season after this one too.

I don't think these guys can handle another full MLE signing this year. They need to develop Julian Wright.   

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 10:18:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
The Hornets have $22m tied up in Peja ($13m), Rasuel Butler $3.6m, and last year's MLE signee Mo Pete ($5.8m).  Mike James is on the book for $6m fr two more years too.  CP3's extension will add $12m to their payroll the season after this one too.

I don't think these guys can handle another full MLE signing this year. They need to develop Julian Wright.   

According to hoopshype, New Orleans only has $58M on the books for this year (CP's big contract numbers kick in next year), so they can definitely afford to pay Posey.  NO is in a pretty good position to use the full MLE this year (here is the link: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm ).  They are the team I am most worried about.  The Cavs have a very high payroll, and that is before resigning West and Gibson. 

The more time drags on, the more I really want to see Posey resigned with the Celtics.  It also kills me that I update Celticsblog so frequently and there is no news (other than Patrick O'Bryant) -- come on Danny, you are killing me!!!!
Celtics fan for life.