Author Topic: Heard any good music lately (new music only)  (Read 11740 times)

Re: Heard any good music lately (new music only)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The Joe Strummer documentary is out on DVD now "The Future is Unwrutten".  If you were a fan of the Clash or Joe or both, it is excellent, and well worth the time spent watching it.  Interesting dude he was.  I watched it last night - hence my "sig du jour".

A couple of Strummer's CDs with the Mescaleros are well worth checking out.

Know what I;ve been listening to on repeat lately...

the Police and Thieves cover by the Clash

Great tune.   I've been diggin' Armagideon Time.  Great reggae beat.
Yup

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I love these threads....

Fleet Foxes - (self-titled); Probably my favourite album of 2008, the harmonic vocals from this group are fantastic, and the songs are very catchy and melodic. Reminds me so much of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges; Really cool album, I didn't know whether I liked it or not when I first listened to it, but I've decided I love it. Some incredibly good tracks across the entire album.

The Joe Strummer documentary is out on DVD now "The Future is Unwrutten".  If you were a fan of the Clash or Joe or both, it is excellent, and well worth the time spent watching it.  Interesting dude he was.  I watched it last night - hence my "sig du jour".

A couple of Strummer's CDs with the Mescaleros are well worth checking out.

Know what I;ve been listening to on repeat lately...

the Police and Thieves cover by the Clash

Great tune.   I've been diggin' Armagideon Time.  Great reggae beat.

Yer [dang] good song, it was on the TV this morning funnily enough.

Speaking of Rock Biopics, Control by Anton Corbijn is a fantastic film, based on Ian Curtis and Joy Division.  I highly reccomend it even if you weren't a fan of the band.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
One of my younger friends gave me a bunch of CDs that are pretty good. The names I can remember are:

The Arcade Fire
Feist
Josh Ritter

Actually those are the only ones I can remember. Certainly not my favorites but the only thing I have that remotely qualifies as new music.

Im down on Arcade Fire...Feist is not bad tho if ur into that...the "1,2,3,4.." Song will burrow into your mind like a freaking earwig.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »

Offline Hal Jordan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
The new Portishead is really good.  It's called Third.  They've taken a bit of a departure from the strictly downbeat/Triphop sound, which really makes for a unique and surprising album.

http://www.amazon.com/Third-Portishead/dp/B0016HNOXQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215829311&sr=8-1

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I like the new Hold Steady.
New G. Love is enjoyable, but he's done better, still some good songs.
NIN is strong, and you can't beat the price.
Anything Joe Strummer did is worth checking out.  I really like his 2nd to last album- Global A Go Go.
If you like Hip Hop: Giant Panda's Electric Laser is a good first album.  The first few tracks are better than the last ones, but it shows promise.

Lastly, Levon Helm released his first solo album in 25 years.  He amazingly survived throat cancer.  He deservedly won a Grammy this year for his album entitled DIRT FARMER.  If you like the type of music you'd find on the O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU SOUNDTRACK, or Johnny Cash it is worth a listen.  It's just great to hear him sing again.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The new Portishead is really good.  It's called Third.  They've taken a bit of a departure from the strictly downbeat/Triphop sound, which really makes for a unique and surprising album.

http://www.amazon.com/Third-Portishead/dp/B0016HNOXQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215829311&sr=8-1

I'm about ready to give that one another try too.  I really liked a couple of their other albums.  Definitely an acquired taste, but I'll get back to it and try to let this one settle in.

Also, John Mayer has a new double-live CD that has its moments of brilliance, and some moments of recycled music in a new package.
Yup

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »

Offline murphman

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
   Die Zimmermänner   Fortpflanzungssupermarkt   Electronic      

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »

Offline murphman

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
and apparently whatever Jackson 32 is listening to.

Fleet Foxes - nice!

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Is the new Coldplay really that good? I get all my music from Sirius radio but the only new single they've played is Viva la Vida...so I know nothin about it.

New beck album drops soon too.

he does a lot less of that falsetto stuff, which makes for a less feminine sound (not that I was down on them before, but it is a nice change of pace)

like many good albums, it takes a couple listens to really sink in, but it is worth it

Cemeteries of London is cool-creepy, but it sometimes tries to hard - kinda reminds me of Stonehenge by Spinal Tap ;)

Lost! has a great beat

Lovers in Japan has a cool Japanese feel

I think Strawberry Swing might be my current favorite song - just a sweet, mellow sound without putting you to sleep

it isn't perfect, but even the songs I don't like as much are obviously high quality

I actually prefer the piano version of Lost more. It's got a more earthy/Parachutes-ey feel to it. It's slowly becoming nearing Parachutes level IMO.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 11:32:38 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
This is obviously very last year LCD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2V_ZT-nyOs&feature=related

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 02:35:37 AM »

Offline BJF860

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I don't know how many hip-hop fans are out on this board, but there is a new song by Joe Budden called "Who".

It talks about the state of hip-hop now. It's an absolutely incredible song.

There are two parts to the song.

There is a lot of swearing in the song, so I didn't post it.

But honestly check it out if you would like, it is good.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 03:17:31 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
This is obviously very last year LCD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2V_ZT-nyOs&feature=related

LCD SS are awsome, I got sound of silver when it was released, but never really gave it alot of go. Lately though i've been playing it heaps, it's a great album.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if your into REAL hip hop (not that mainstream garbage), the new rza album is definately worth picking up....especially if your a wu-tang fan!

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 09:06:01 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Not sure if this is considered "new" music but after reading some of the bits here I thought I'd put my 2 cents in since my OLD!
Ben Harper, really anything by him but newest album Lifeline, it is amazing how great he is
here is someone no one has probably heard of but Jeffrey Foucoult, Ghost Repeater, up and coming guy, i feel some great stuff

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 09:39:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Not sure if this is considered "new" music but after reading some of the bits here I thought I'd put my 2 cents in since my OLD!
Ben Harper, really anything by him but newest album Lifeline, it is amazing how great he is
here is someone no one has probably heard of but Jeffrey Foucoult, Ghost Repeater, up and coming guy, i feel some great stuff

Ben's one of my faves.  Saw him warm up for Pearl Jam a long time ago and was sold. 
Yup