Author Topic: Detroit privately inquiring about T-Mac  (Read 2816 times)

Detroit privately inquiring about T-Mac
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Metro News out of Toronto had this to say.

And, speaking of major trade possibilities, there’s a blockbuster brewing in the NBA, too.

The Detroit Pistons, we hear, are making a big pitch to the Houston Rockets for perennial all-star Tracy McGrady.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/sports/article/81840

No source, no information, no idea if Houston is interested, whom was offered, etc.  Though I must admit McGrady would seem like a solid choice for Detroit in their efforts to re-load and keep the fan base energized.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Detroit privately inquiring about T-Mac
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This is an old rumour. There were quite a few stories about this before the draft. The rumoured deal was McGrady for Rip and Rasheed. Makes a good bit of sense for both teams but I think Houston will give it another year to see if they can get some good health going.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:29:13 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
You know I think it is very sad that Ming and McGrady talent-wise could have done a lot more damage than they have four years into the "dynasty."

Injuries and poor coaching have limited them to first round exits.

I do not think the blame should be shouldered on T-Mac, for he is one of the reasons why they've even made the playoffs.

Yao Ming is perhaps the most overrated player in the league. People talk about him in the same breath as players like KG, but what has he done to merit that recognition? Really?

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:03:11 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
You know I think it is very sad that Ming and McGrady talent-wise could have done a lot more damage than they have four years into the "dynasty."

Injuries and poor coaching have limited them to first round exits.

I do not think the blame should be shouldered on T-Mac, for he is one of the reasons why they've even made the playoffs.

Yao Ming is perhaps the most overrated player in the league. People talk about him in the same breath as players like KG, but what has he done to merit that recognition? Really?

TP, pretty good point, to think that T-Mac and Yao on a team doesn't get you deep into the playoffs, especially with Battier on there too, is ridiculous. Yao is one of the best centers in the NBA but he is soooo soft, I love him but the track record speaks for itself.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:31:25 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
The Metro News out of Toronto had this to say.

And, speaking of major trade possibilities, there’s a blockbuster brewing in the NBA, too.

The Detroit Pistons, we hear, are making a big pitch to the Houston Rockets for perennial all-star Tracy McGrady.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/sports/article/81840

No source, no information, no idea if Houston is interested, whom was offered, etc.  Though I must admit McGrady would seem like a solid choice for Detroit in their efforts to re-load and keep the fan base energized.

Oh, so Detroit's trying to lose in the first round next year?

EDIT:
The trade was Rip AND Sheed for TMac?  Are you kidding me?

IMO that makes Houston a Contender and Detroit a Pretender...
God bless and good night!

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:45:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The problem with Yao is that he's not good for all types of bigs. If Houston get matched up with a traditional center then he's a very dominant player on both ends of the court. If Houston gets matched up with Memo Okur and Carlos Boozer then he's in trouble. Yao's lack of quickness makes him vulnerable defensively away from the hoop and that can be exploited like Boozer did on drives or like Memo can with his perimeter shooting. Utah were the worst possible matchup for Houston a year ago and still are today. That's part of how unlucky they've been. You put Yao against Duncan and the Spurs and they probably do better despite San Antonio being far superior than Utah. Very unlucky.

Houston also have the worst third scorer of any 50 win team which makes their offense quite predictable. Especially under Van Gundy who broke T-Mac's back the way he used him, thank goodness for Adelman. Hopefully Scola can become that third scorer next season. Once you get beyond that third scorer they've a lot of nice pieces which are great fourth/fifth/sixth/seventh options. Their offense has lost some shooting over the past season which hurts them a lot too .... it's one thing to have only two scorers, it's another when you can't space the floor properly for them.

Battier has to take a lot of blame. He's let his scoring fall by the wayside and it gets worse each season. He's stopped looking for his shot, very passive offensively. He was 15ppg scorer as a rookie and he's still capable of that. He's not giving the team enough on that end of the court.

They have quite a few expiring contracts this summer which will give them some flexibility to add an extra scorer. Be interesting to see how Morey uses that. I've been very impressed with Morey so far.

If Boston ever had to play Houston in the Finals just slide KG to center and Boston will be guaranteed of success as a long as KG attacks him. Or Pierce runs the pick and roll over and over and gets KG easy jump shots.