Author Topic: Celtics considering Arroyo?  (Read 14152 times)

Re: Celtics considering Arroyo?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Arroyo is a self-involved point guard. This is why everyone keeps giving him up. If you're happy with him making the majority of the plays and not doing much for ball movement then he'll be a fine addition. If not, he'll bug the heck out of you.

He's an overrated player. Needs to be one of the main guys of the team to be effective, his skill set is largely wasted in smaller roles. Arroyo is one of those players that's far better when he's allowed massage the ball and control the play.

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »

Offline wolfceltic215

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • all hail garfield-sama!
Eddie Eddie Eddie, coz they can't leave the HOUSE open! And maybe this is the year Gabe's got to get his minutes as 3rd string PG..
1, 2, 3 UBUNTU!

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Arroyo is a self-involved point guard. This is why everyone keeps giving him up. If you're happy with him making the majority of the plays and not doing much for ball movement then he'll be a fine addition. If not, he'll bug the heck out of you.

He's an overrated player. Needs to be one of the main guys of the team to be effective, his skill set is largely wasted in smaller roles. Arroyo is one of those players that's far better when he's allowed massage the ball and control the play.

good points. from what little i have seen him play, he seemed more of a scorer than a passing pg.

it would be nice to have his scoring off the bench, but i am not so sure  his "self-involved" play would benefit the other bench players of the celtics.

actually, he reminds me a little of cassell. when cassell was hot, he was helpful off the bench. but when he could make his own shot, the 2nd team seemed to suffer.

personally, a combo of house and pruitt as back up pg would be fine. if ainge can get someone better, good. but i dont think this is a crucial issue right now.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2008, 09:12:01 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
It'd be better to have a three-point expert PG who can replace/backup Rondo when there is a need to spread the opposing defense.  But 3-point skills, good ballhandling, good playmaking, good passing, and good defense all in one free agent player is probably too much to expect from what the team is willing to spend.  Arroyo would not be a bad choice.  He seems to fulfill most of the above and perhaps that is reasonable for what the team is willing to spend, unless they want to touch part of the MLE.  He might be on the selfish side, but then again, it's not like the Celtics have offensive weapons on the second unit/bench anyway.  So maybe you would want Arroyo attempting most of the shots from a reasonable distance when the second unit is out there.

Whatever happened to Jason Williams?  Would Williams be better for us than Arroyo?  A flashy player could be entertaining.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:21:20 PM by Barnabas »

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Kind of sounds like a young Sam Cassell. I'd rather have him if the other choice is Sam...

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

Kind of sounds like a young Sam Cassell. I'd rather have him if the other choice is Sam...

He's not like Cassell.  Arroyo does tend to dominate the ball, but he's a penetrate and dish guard, not a shoot first (and second and third) guard like Cassell.

He's alot better than Tyron Lue, that's for sure, although I would not be surprised to see the Celtics sign Lue, who would be cheaper and who is Garnett's friend.