Author Topic: Celtics considering Arroyo?  (Read 14160 times)

Re: Celtics considering Arroyo?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'd only take him if we lose out on Eddie. 

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 09:05:38 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Well, he's currently 7-7 with the Reds, but I think they want to keep him, but it would be fun to have him and his guitar back in Boston.

What?  Not talking about Bronson?  Oh.....nevermind.

;D
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Id prefer him over Lue anyday.

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Yeah, i think he would be a great fit for the C's.  They need aggressivess and the ability to create shots with the bench unit and he provides that.  Our bench are really good defenders, and high energy players who can score when given the ball in the right spots, and he can provide that.  I see him as a Tony Parker type point guard and thats not a bad thing for our second unit. 

I watched him a decent amount, and the thing i really like about him is not only how he creates shots for others, but how well he plays passing lanes, and when he makes a pass, even on the move, he puts the ball right where it needs to be.   So often last year, we would have a guy pass the ball to an open spot up shooter or a cutter and it would be off, and the adjustment they would have to make would allow the defense to recover or make for a bad shot.

I really think he may be a bit too expensive for us though.  If we get him for the LLE, then we got a steal.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »

Offline keith

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Arroyo is a young ballplayer.I would even roll the dice with him and give him a multi year.This type of signing could have some very solid returns for a few seasons.Not like Patrick Olawakandi O'Bryant

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Arroyo is a young ballplayer.I would even roll the dice with him and give him a multi year.This type of signing could have some very solid returns for a few seasons.Not like Patrick Olawakandi O'Bryant

What's your definition of young? Arroyo will be 30 years old by the end of next season.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 07:54:23 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well, he's currently 7-7 with the Reds, but I think they want to keep him, but it would be fun to have him and his guitar back in Boston.

What?  Not talking about Bronson?  Oh.....nevermind.

;D

lol I was talking to a friend about him earlier and I called him Bronson about a dozen times. TP

Anyway... Someone said Danny was content with going into the season with Pruitt being the second string PG. I don't know if I A) Believe that and B) Would be comfortable with that if true. There's a chance Gabe could be that Delonte West-ish player that we all love, but he didn't do anything last year (But then again, Delonte didn't do much in his first year, either.) But I'd still like to sign Arroyo or maybe Jason Williams (Who would likely take the MLE, which wouldn't be good for us) so I think our best bet would be to just resign EHouse.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
arroyo today in exibition game vs eslovenia 21 points in 27 minutes 14-9 from the field, 1 3point made and 2-2 from ft, 2 turnover

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is among the best backup PGs in the league.

If he Celtics got him, they will be better for it.

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Unfortunately I don't think the Celtics are going to actively pursue him in a way that would cause him to sign here. We probably are going to wait things out and if he is one of the free agents left standing at the end who could be had for cheap we will pick him up
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Wow, this post should make you eligible for a Tommy Point reduction. Arroyo turns 29 at the end of this month.  Unless 30 really is the new 20, Arroyo isn't a "young ballplayer." And your comparison of POB to Kandi is the obvious and lazy way to look at the signing.  Kandi had ample opportunity to play the first few years of his career, despite middling production, to say the least (43% FG, Ok rebound rate).  POB hasn't been able to get on the court in Nellie's up tempo system.

Ainge has invested only $3m over two years in POB.  If POB can only play solid third string minutes, that would be a decent return on that small investment.  I'm sure Ainge and Co. have done their reseasch on the guy, and think they can make something of him.  I trust their research better than yours, since you can't even take the time to check up on Arroyo's age. 

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Wow, this post should make you eligible for a Tommy Point reduction. Arroyo turns 29 at the end of this month.  Unless 30 really is the new 20, Arroyo isn't a "young ballplayer." And your comparison of POB to Kandi is the obvious and lazy way to look at the signing.  Kandi had ample opportunity to play the first few years of his career, despite middling production, to say the least (43% FG, Ok rebound rate).  POB hasn't been able to get on the court in Nellie's up tempo system.

Ainge has invested only $3m over two years in POB.  If POB can only play solid third string minutes, that would be a decent return on that small investment.  I'm sure Ainge and Co. have done their reseasch on the guy, and think they can make something of him.  I trust their research better than yours, since you can't even take the time to check up on Arroyo's age. 
It is amazing that this guy will call Arroyo young, as opposed to O'Bryant. Arroyo is 29, O'Bryant is 21  ::)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »

Offline cmburrill

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
  What an awful move for him to come to Boston...I'd fire my agent. I would rather start then gett 5-10 minutes. His best chance to win is here, but he is young and we know 41 year olds can win championships too.Im sure his agent is working   GS and  Miami  as well as Orlando I think Jameer gets paid less money and was much better at the end of the season. Miami has who...Mario Chalmers and I dont know what the hell Nelson and Mullins are doing in GS. Do they have a starting pg.  Though I have read Dooling is there guy. I would guess his number one would be Miami then GS.

Personally no thanks, this guy is small and passing the ball to the greatest finisher in basketball(D Howard) will never hurt ones assists total. I have to say that Lue is probally a better bargain. Arroyo made 4 million. I think we are looking to spend  for 1-2 million.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 06:41:33 PM by cmburrill »

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd like him as a back-up pg. I'm not comfortable with Pruitt as the back-up.

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Age is not a big issue.

Arroyo has shown to be a good number 2 PG in this league.  If the Celtic can sign him without the MLE (because Posey is getting it), then it is a very good move for the Celtics.  Pruitt has the opportunity to earn minutes as the third PG and possible 2nd SG.