Author Topic: Dunleavy Claims Brand Committed To Clippers  (Read 3688 times)

Dunleavy Claims Brand Committed To Clippers
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »

Offline jsilva982

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53535/20080711/dunleavy_claims_brand_committed_to_clippers/

Clippers' Coach Mike Dunleavy is saying that the circumstances which saw Elton Brand become a Sixer is "the strangest and most shocking" experience in his career, the Philadelphia Daily News is reporting.

According to Dunleavy, the Clippers had a verbal commitment from Brand that he would sign a five year, $70 million contract to remain with the team, only for Brand to then commit to Philadelphia.

"People around the league who know me know I tell the truth," Dunleavy said in a telephone conversation yesterday. "And in this case, too many people know the truth. We had a verbal agreement at $70 million. A verbal agreement is not binding, I know that. Just come back and say, 'I changed my mind.' Just say it. Nobody can do anything about it."

Brand's agent David Falk said he had not come to any agreement with the Clippers, and any and all discussions regarding Brand should have gone through him.

"To say that we had a verbal agreement is absolutely, categorically not true," Falk said. "We had one discussion. I never committed to anything. They're embarrassed that they lost him."

Via Philadelphia Daily News

Re: Dunleavy Claims Brand Committed To Clippers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
On PTI yesterday, Brand said he and Falk asked for a few things and then the Clippers owner would not return their calls trying to play hard ball. They felt like it was a slap in the face and decided to listen to other offers. So he probably made a promise then got treated very unprofessionally a then signed with Philly. This all sounds like something the Clippers would do. If that is the case, I don't blame him.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am confused, on ESPN radio this morning, they were playing a clip of Dunleavy talking about this, and he said that Brand had agreed to $75 million.  He said that Brand had said that he just wanted $75 million, and that they bring in some help.  And that Falk had said if Baron is in, we're in.

I don't know, I just feel like something is missing here.  More than that though, I don't know why Dunleavy is the one talking about this, since he was not the one doing the negotiating.  I have a feeling that something went on in the negotiations outside of Dunleavy's domain.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Brand's agent David Falk said he had not come to any agreement with the Clippers, and any and all discussions regarding Brand should have gone through him.

"To say that we had a verbal agreement is absolutely, categorically not true," Falk said. "We had one discussion. I never committed to anything. They're embarrassed that they lost him."

I think those two words sum up the Clippers right now.  This has nothing to do with how Elton Brand is "treating" the Clippers; this has everything to do with how Donald Sterling has treated the team, its players, and its fans for the past decade.  Dunleavy is saying all the right things as a company man, but the franchise is a joke and only one thing will change it -- new ownership.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Maybe it's a conspiracy... maybe the NBA is punishing the Clippers for some dirty dealings in their attempt to bring in both Baron and Elton. 

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:37:08 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Although the truth tends to always be somewhere in between in these things, lets not forget the facts.  The Clippers wanted Brand.  The Clippers wanted Davis.  Brand told the Clippers (last year) he wanted to play with Davis.  The Clippers showed Davis a huge offer sheet.  The Clippers badly wanted to team Brand and Davis together.  Badly.  The Clippers were willing to offer Brand a lot more money that the $75 M if they had to.  Brand went to Philly.

What can get lost in all of this are the facts.  The Clippers acted very unwisely in signing Baron before Brand.  The only reason that makes sense is that the Clippers somehow thought they were going to get both.  The Davis negotiations make it quite likely the Clippers were lead to believe or promised something that did not occur, or else their actions re: Davis make less sense.

The best line about this?  The Clippers got Falked.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If it was any team but the Clippers, I might believe the team. But it's not.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
After listening to Brand's interview on PTI, I believe Dunleavy.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:03:10 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Here's my take: Brand did make a verbal commitment to the Clippers. the Clippers signed Davis based on the the 70 mil offer Brand had committed to. Once Falk started seeing that he could get more money from other teams, Falk wanted a larger commission and he also resented the Clippers, so liked the idea of screwing them. He then tried to get more money out of the Clippers, which they first balked at, b/c of the earlier verbal commitment. Falk has even mentioned that the Clippers never offered a 6th yr. Well to offer a 6th yr, that means that there would have been no Davis signing. Falk didn't care about Brand having more talent on the Clippers. Falk wanted Brand to get a 6yr/125 million deal. I do believe Brand is at fault here too. He's a grown man and can't just hide behind his agent.   

Now I do have a question though. When the Warriors offered 90 million, everyone commented how the Clips could only give him 70. Welacording to articles theyincreased their offer to 75 and lastly to 80. How were they getting that extra cash under the cap?

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If it was any team but the Clippers, I might believe the team. But it's not.

Sadly, I am in the same boat.  I just don't trust Sterling.  I don't necessarily think Dunleavy is lying, I just think that Sterling went and did something underhanded to p--- off Brand and Falk.

Lets face it, it makes absolutely no sense for Brand to tell everyone that he will resign with them if they sign Davis, and then after they do it, run away, yelling "suckers!".  Clearly something happened between the time of the Davis agreement, and his signing with Philly to rub him the wrong way. 

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Here's my take: Brand did make a verbal commitment to the Clippers. the Clippers signed Davis based on the the 70 mil offer Brand had committed to. Once Falk started seeing that he could get more money from other teams, Falk wanted a larger commission and he also resented the Clippers, so liked the idea of screwing them. He then tried to get more money out of the Clippers, which they first balked at, b/c of the earlier verbal commitment. Falk has even mentioned that the Clippers never offered a 6th yr. Well to offer a 6th yr, that means that there would have been no Davis signing. Falk didn't care about Brand having more talent on the Clippers. Falk wanted Brand to get a 6yr/125 million deal. I do believe Brand is at fault here too. He's a grown man and can't just hide behind his agent.   

Now I do have a question though. When the Warriors offered 90 million, everyone commented how the Clips could only give him 70. Welacording to articles theyincreased their offer to 75 and lastly to 80. How were they getting that extra cash under the cap?

Renouncing players that they have rights to.