Author Topic: WEEI: Unnamed team willing to offer Posey 4th year  (Read 41592 times)

Re: WEEI: Unnamed team willing to offer Posey 4th year
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Deep draft? With only 2-3 guarenteed impact players? Little premature.

« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2008, 03:41:26 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Very disloyal and arrogant behavior of Posey, if you ask me.

What loyalty do you want Posey to have?  If he'd come back on his option, and then had had a season-ending injury in his first game, do you think the Celtics would have offered him a MLE contract extension, out of "loyalty"?  Of course not; they'd make a business decision.  Posey is just making a similar business decision for himself.

So sure, Posey isn't loyal to the franchise that he's played for for one season on a below-market contract.  Why would you expect otherwise?

No more disloyal and arrogant than management squabbling over a year and NBA pocket change, if you ask me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
We can't wait for his decision, as it could possibly take another month for him to decide unless some team suddenly jumps at him with the 4th year. And since the signing of O'Bryant hasn't been announced yet, I think another signing is pending, and I believe we won't wait for Posey and try to sign another player cheaper (Barnes, Ross, Evans).

« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

well when you have prospects like CDR, Chalmers and DeAndre Jordan going in the second round, i would say at this early point it is safe to say that the draft was deep....

« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Very disloyal and arrogant behavior of Posey, if you ask me.

What loyalty do you want Posey to have?  If he'd come back on his option, and then had had a season-ending injury in his first game, do you think the Celtics would have offered him a MLE contract extension, out of "loyalty"?  Of course not; they'd make a business decision.  Posey is just making a similar business decision for himself.

So sure, Posey isn't loyal to the franchise that he's played for for one season on a below-market contract.  Why would you expect otherwise?

No more disloyal and arrogant than management squabbling over a year and NBA pocket change, if you ask me.

i don't know if "disloyal" and "arrogant" are the right words......if it comes down to not signing Posey over one extra year, i think i would simply call it a "miscalculation"...also pending how they actually fill the spot too...

« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2008, 03:47:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

It was considered a deep draft by the "pundits", for what it (they) are worth.

More to the point, there probably wasn't anyone there late in the 1st that could have immediately helped the Hornets -- still, one wonders if maybe there was more they could have done in the way of trading the pick to free up more cap room; bring in a player they need.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

It was considered a deep draft by the "pundits", for what it (they) are worth.

More to the point, there probably wasn't anyone there late in the 1st that could have immediately helped the Hornets -- still, one wonders if maybe there was more they could have done in the way of trading the pick to free up more cap room; bring in a player they need.

i think CDR could start for that team. their SG situation was not good IMO. they also could have used Arthur almost immediately.

« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't see NO going for the extra year.  I just don't believe that owner will be willing to pay more then other teams. 
  • Outbidding everyone for Peja
  • Taking on Chandler's contract instead of letting PJ expire
  • Or when he outbid everyone for Rasual Butler?
  • Or when he outbid Utah for Mo Peterson a year ago?
  • Or taking back another year of the MLE on Mike James' contract in order to get Bonzi Wells?

Still no?

Their owner has been good about handing out paychecks over the past few years. Feels like his past reputation has become outdated to me.

giving away that first round draft pick for cash was REALLY bad. especially in a deep draft where the team had needs that definitely could have been addressed....
That was dumb. I fully agree but all indications are that their general manager made that call. Bower said that he didn't believe they'd be able to get a player at that pick and remember he sold that pick before the draft. Does he still enter an agreement if he knew Darrell Arthur dropped who would have been perfect? Either way it was a dumb decision.

« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I don't see NO going for the extra year.  I just don't believe that owner will be willing to pay more then other teams. 
  • Outbidding everyone for Peja
  • Taking on Chandler's contract instead of letting PJ expire
  • Or when he outbid everyone for Rasual Butler?
  • Or when he outbid Utah for Mo Peterson a year ago?
  • Or taking back another year of the MLE on Mike James' contract in order to get Bonzi Wells?

Still no?

Their owner has been good about handing out paychecks over the past few years. Feels like his past reputation has become outdated to me.

giving away that first round draft pick for cash was REALLY bad. especially in a deep draft where the team had needs that definitely could have been addressed....
That was dumb. I fully agree but all indications are that their general manager made that call. Bower said that he didn't believe they'd be able to get a player at that pick and remember he sold that pick before the draft. Does he still enter an agreement if he knew Darrell Arthur dropped who would have been perfect? Either way it was a dumb decision.

agreed on the "dumb" part. at the time it smelled like a financial deal to me...much the way the Suns had been unloading first round picks that last few years....but maybe they were saving the money to go after a guy like Posey....we shall see.

personally, i like when other teams get good. i think it makes it more fun. and i was bummed when they dumped that pick. i certainly don't want to see them get Posey, but i do want them to continue to get better.