Author Topic: WEEI: Unnamed team willing to offer Posey 4th year  (Read 41624 times)

Re: WEEI: Unnamed team willing to offer Posey 4th year
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
People keep bringing up Posey's "weight" violation with the Heat. That was absolutely ridiculous. Riley's body fat percentage requirement was a joke. When they suspended Posey and Walker, Posey had 9% body fat and Walker 11% . Even Antoine's wasn't a real big deal. When you bring up these kind of comments you are insinuating that Posey is a slacker and not a hard worker. We have never heard once that he didn't bring it all the time. We don't know what he did in practice, but the man surely is not and has never been fat. Target something realistic if you are going to bring up comments to rationalize not giving him a fourth year...

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Danny is keeping it out of the papers -- so he is doing the right thing.  I am optimistic Posey returns.  This is a good situation for him.  

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I would think Danny offering the 4th year would get it done.  The money has to be close and you know this team is going to contend for at least the next 3 years barring something unforeseen.

Still if I'm the agent, I'm working to get the very best offers I can -- through any ethical means necessary -- and then presenting them all so the client can make his choice.

Bartlestein doesn't strike me as a disciple of the Jerome Stanley school of agent protocol.

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
We should give him the 4th year at a team option........

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't see what the big deal is just give him the 4th  year of the contract, even if he has slowed down by then he will be a 7 mil dollar expiring contract which could easily be traded along with another piece or 2 to bring in a younger solid player in the future.

I agree.  We are built to win in the next 3 years.  Everybody loves Posey.  He was one of the best players on the floor during the playoffs.  If we win 1 more championship during 1 of Posey's 4 year contract, it will be worth it even if he is a corpse for the last year of his contract.

Bruce Bowen is starting to wear down but I don't think the Spurs regret signing him.  

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 11:33:13 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
We should give him the 4th year at a team option........

I think it would take a player option for this to happen.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
If that's the case, and Posey takes the money, goodbye James.  At some point, it becomes counterproductive to lock up your 31 year old bench player to a long-term deal.  Keep in mind, Posey had weight / conditioning issues in Miami after they won a championship.  Are we absolutely certain he's going to be the same player in four years that he is now? 

Three years yes.  Four years, I really don't know.  Probably not.

if you were genuinely concerned about so-called "weight" issues, then why would you be okay with giving him a three year deal.

this sounds like a post-loss rationalization for losing a key player on a Title winning squad.

plus, i don't think using Miami's post-Title maneuvers is a good way to support your argument.

they have been in one of the worst post-Title free falls in the history of the sport.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 12:11:40 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
People keep bringing up Posey's "weight" violation with the Heat. That was absolutely ridiculous. Riley's body fat percentage requirement was a joke. When they suspended Posey and Walker, Posey had 9% body fat and Walker 11% . Even Antoine's wasn't a real big deal. When you bring up these kind of comments you are insinuating that Posey is a slacker and not a hard worker. We have never heard once that he didn't bring it all the time. We don't know what he did in practice, but the man surely is not and has never been fat. Target something realistic if you are going to bring up comments to rationalize not giving him a fourth year...

i agree. TP.

using "weight" as a reason to not give Posey a 4th year is unfair.

personally, i don't agree with the salary structure reasoning either, but at least it has some merit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:20:20 PM by winsomme »

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »

Offline ponch

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't see what the big deal is just give him the 4th  year of the contract, even if he has slowed down by then he will be a 7 mil dollar expiring contract which could easily be traded along with another piece or 2 to bring in a younger solid player in the future.

I agree.  We are built to win in the next 3 years.  Everybody loves Posey.  He was one of the best players on the floor during the playoffs.  If we win 1 more championship during 1 of Posey's 4 year contract, it will be worth it even if he is a corpse for the last year of his contract.

Bruce Bowen is starting to wear down but I don't think the Spurs regret signing him.  

Couldn't agree more.  As you said, C's are built to win over the next few years. Ok so maybe year three he slows down a bit, but then year four you have an expiring contract on your hands.  And for the first two years at least, he gives you a good shoot to win Championships.  Why play it safe and surround PP and KG with lesser players when our Window is fairly short.  You never know when we could be in this position again.  It could be another 22 years (god forbid).  We are the best team right now, lets keep it that way.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
"unnamed teams" ussually indicate something being floated by an agent.  I wouldn't put too much stock into it yet.  It sounds like scare tactics to me.
My thoughts exactly.

James: "Maybe I should take the three year MLE from BOS."
Agent: "No - someone will offer four years - you are a proven veteran winner. I mean the Celtics were 2nd worst team, you come onboard, they win the championship. You gotta get paid."
James: "Okay - get me for MLE at a contender and I'm in."
[Days Later]
James: "Where are the four year offers? Call me back."
Agent: [muffled voice] "yeah this is [mumbles name] - there is a four year offer on the table - I swear."

Agent: "James - did you hear on EEI - a team is offering four years."

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One of my problems that goes unsaid about a deal that's longer than 3 years is that I think it is moronic to have a bench player be the guy with the longest contract on your team. Example: Scal.

Another thing is a four or five year contract to a fully satisfied, in terms of rings won and money made, 31 year old player can become an albatross of a contract real quick if he that player gets out of shape and sees no incentive to get back in shape(see Shaq and Antoine).

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

It's a big deal because if they are over the cap (remember KG is already on the book for $21.2 mil in Year 4, it could become $14 million very easily with the luxury tax.  You want to pay $14 mil for a 35-year old James Posey?  I wouldn't.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Nothing in Posey's actions this past season suggests to me he would slack once he gets his big contract. I think he genuinely loves playing and defending.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think a good NBA GM very rarely gives a four year deal. And in those cases its to elite players. And unfortunately elite roll player is not the same thing. As good as James is - he's an overall flawed player - and we'd regret a four year deal. And there is nothing that says he is enough to get us a ring or that someone else isn't.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 12:33:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

i agree. TP.

using "weight" as a reason to not give Posey a 4th year is ridiculous.

personally, i don't agree with the salary structure reasoning either, but at least it has some merit.

How is posey's conditioning not a valid concern? Nearly all of Posey's effectiveness as a defender can be attributed to his length and athleticism. If Posey loses a step he's a much less effective defender. He's 31 now, so its not like he had anywhere to go but down. I don't think its a good reason to not sign him, but it should definitely be a factor when considering the entire picture. his coach gave him criteria to be filled, and Posey didn't fill it, thats got to matter somewhere in all this.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner