Author Topic: WEEI: Unnamed team willing to offer Posey 4th year  (Read 41623 times)

WEEI: Unnamed team willing to offer Posey 4th year
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:43:44 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Just heard this on the Sports Flash...said it could mean Posey does not come back.  Hopefully they go into more detail in the next segment.  Anyone else hear this?  I looked at some websites to try and find an update but couldn't find anything.

Re: WEEI: Unnamed team willing to offer Posey 4th year
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
They were reading from Bulpett's article in today's Herald. Personally, I don't believe there is a team that offered 4 years. That is why the team is unnamed. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Darn it.  

Could be the cavs.  They could afford to with the 4th year since they have no long term contract.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:52:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If that's the case, and Posey takes the money, goodbye James.  At some point, it becomes counterproductive to lock up your 31 year old bench player to a long-term deal.  Keep in mind, Posey had weight / conditioning issues in Miami after they won a championship.  Are we absolutely certain he's going to be the same player in four years that he is now? 

Three years yes.  Four years, I really don't know.  Probably not.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
They made it sound like it was some huge breaking news...but then again maybe I'm just anxious for a conclusion one way or the other

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I don't see what the big deal is just give him the 4th  year of the contract, even if he has slowed down by then he will be a 7 mil dollar expiring contract which could easily be traded along with another piece or 2 to bring in a younger solid player in the future.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
"unnamed teams" ussually indicate something being floated by an agent.  I wouldn't put too much stock into it yet.  It sounds like scare tactics to me.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Two possibilities:

(1) Either it is Posey's agent calling in to WEEI and spreading rumors, or
(2) The Cs added a 4th year to their offer, but the 4th year is the team's option  ;D
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 10:57:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Even three years is a question mark, Roy...James Posey will go as far as his natural athleticism and enthusiasm to play will take him, where that is, is anyone's guess but I'd bet the house its not for another 4 years

Remember though, that we 'heard' (cough Bartlestien Cough) that the Lakers had offered him 5 years at the full MLE.

The rumor shouldn't say undisclosed team it should say "Bartlestein's known hand"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Also, I think a 4th year might very well have ended up being what gets negotiated anyway ... this is a non-story

If the super offer for Posey that we all fear were there, he would have signed it already.

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
"Three years yes.  Four years, I really don't know.  Probably not."

I guess, but so many players are year to year.  I mean look at a guy like Chris Kaman.  He was solid, signed a big deal and then struggled significantly the next then had another breakout year last year.  Obviously they are different people but thats why im very hesitant to automatically assume he will be the same player even three years down the line. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also, I think a 4th year might very well have ended up being what gets negotiated anyway ... this is a non-story

If the super offer for Posey that we all fear were there, he would have signed it already.

Yep.  It's just like Bartelstein's other comments about the Celtics not being given an option to match.  Those are just scare tactics to say "if you don't act now, he could get away".  I think what it's going to take to resolve this is some tough negotiation of Danny's own.  He's going to have to make a "take it or leave it" offer, because if Posey is going to walk, we need to find some replacements before the market is completely dry.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yep.  It's just like Bartelstein's other comments about the Celtics not being given an option to match.  Those are just scare tactics to say "if you don't act now, he could get away".  I think what it's going to take to resolve this is some tough negotiation of Danny's own.  He's going to have to make a "take it or leave it" offer, because if Posey is going to walk, we need to find some replacements before the market is completely dry.

My guess is Danny already did.  Supposedly they started at 3 years, $12 million.  I wouldn't be surprised if he upped it to 3 years at the full MLE (or maybe slightly below, in order to use some on Walker), and he has broken off negotiations, leaving it on the table.

We are hearing way too many rumors, that clearly seem to be coming from the Posey camp.  It makes me think that Danny is holding the upper hand here, and Posey's agent is just bluffing to try to get Danny to blink...I think Danny is calling the bluff.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Sounds to me like we're getting down to crunch time.  This is where the good agents earn their money -- and the good GM's separate themselves from the bad ones.

I can't see Cleveland offering a 4th year.  If they lose Lebron, then they're stuck with this guy for 2 years and who knows what his value will be in that last year -- just an expiring contract or an expiring contract who can help someone win a title.

Still I'm guessing someone will give it to him.

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Darn it. 

Could be the cavs.  They could afford to with the 4th year since they have no long term contract.

Here's why i don't think it's the Cavs --- I truly believe its Boston (a) vs. New Orleans (f) for Posey.

It kind of boggles my mind that teams like Cleveland and Houston continue to be listed as destinations for Posey. The question not addresses by sportswriters -- or that i haven't seen -- is what is the effect of signing Posey on the teams supposedly interested in Posey. Here's my calculations (based on posted salary data at HH & SS):

A. Boston -- Signing posey to an MLE deal (along with resigning HOuse and some vet. min additions) puts us about $7.5M over the luxury tax level -- a $1M less than last year. We start next summer about $1M under the lux tax limit.

B. Cleveland --- this never gets written about --- signing Posey to an MLE deal puts them $17-20M over the luxury tax limit .... is there really any reason to think (a) they'd go that far over the lux tax limit (that's more than New York paid last year) and (b) they'd sign Posey for 4 years?

C. LA Fakers -- Signing Posey would mean paying $11M in luxury tax this year and assuming they sign Bynum for $9M (a bargain?) and Vujacic for $3M it puts them over for next summer already.

D. Houston -- Signing Big Games James takes them from being under the Lux Tax to over... a big jump for a team that has Shane Battier doing much of what Posey does.

E. Detroit --- I didn't calculate for them since (a) they have the room but (b) they're looking to reshape their roster in trades (McGrady?) so it's hard to imagine they'd sign Posey *before* doing that.

F. New Orleans --- IMO the only legitimate offer can come from N.O. Because Chris Paul's extension doesn't kick in till next year signing Posey leaves them well under the Lux Tax limit. However.... I think they'd be more reluctant than us to give a 4th year as it would cut into the pretty sizeable cap room they have when both Peja and Tyson Chandler come off the books in 2011.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!