Author Topic: Sites / Restaurants from around New England (split from OKC thread)  (Read 15191 times)

Re: Sites / Restaurants from around New England (split from OKC thread)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 11:39:02 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
man, i love this thread!

As a displaced boston area native now living in berkeley, california it is great to see pics of all these old icons.  Is Weylus still around? I heard they went out of business and the place closed down (maybe the owner went to jail?).  The other landmark I always liked was Kelly's roast beef, which is pretty close to the Leaning Tower of Pizza place.

Also, if you are coming from the north along route 1 and head off towards the airport there are a few other landmarks of note that I like but have never checked out.  One is the shrine to the virgin mother or something like that and the other is the squire club (probably not worth my time but...).

Weylu's has been closed for years... sadly, it just seems to be a big albatross on the top of the hill (or an alcatraz!).

Kowloon is still going strong, and from what I read recently, the owner is the chairman of the Saugus selectmen, which makes total sense. Also, Big Baby went to the Kowloon soon after he landed in Boston rookie year, so that helped them remain solvent.

Route 1 is tremendous. Also, a Hooters is going to open at the former Famous Dave's BBQ soon.

I'm pretty sure the place on that albatross is actually a functional restaurant now... as for Hooters, are you sure? there have been hooters rumours on rt 1 for years (my dad lets me know every time he hears one) - if it does go there, good luck to them that is one of the worst spots on the whole strip

I could be out of date on Weylu's, since I haven't driven up Route 1

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/05/30/news/news11.txt

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 11:55:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
man, i love this thread!

As a displaced boston area native now living in berkeley, california it is great to see pics of all these old icons.  Is Weylus still around? I heard they went out of business and the place closed down (maybe the owner went to jail?).  The other landmark I always liked was Kelly's roast beef, which is pretty close to the Leaning Tower of Pizza place.

Also, if you are coming from the north along route 1 and head off towards the airport there are a few other landmarks of note that I like but have never checked out.  One is the shrine to the virgin mother or something like that and the other is the squire club (probably not worth my time but...).

haha the north shore, how many seedy places does it have?  but yeah, the virgin statue on top of the hill on 1a (on your way to logan) - sadly Weylus is closed, I heard they had rats the size of cats! they did open a new place there, so not all is lost, haven't been there though - I loooove Kelly's Roast beef, they've really branched out - thankfully theres one about a mile and half from me in Danvers - but the Kelly's in Saugus has the best fishtank...
Sorry, but going here,

the original Kelly's, getting your Large Beef at 2 in the morning in 10 degree weather on Revere Beach and chowing it down in the car was and is still the best way to get and eat one of these:

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 11:57:43 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
This may sound weird, but I go to Kelly's for their burgers, they make one of the best burgers I've ever had
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 12:59:38 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I just got back from a Rhode Island visit; true to form, every night ended with a late night run to different Hot Weiner joints, such as Olneyville's NY System, and Harry's in Warwick.  No matter how the night went, it was always pretty much a perfect ending; [dang], do I miss those little dogs covered in meat sauce.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 01:34:44 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
This thread got me hungry for 4 or 5 with the works from Coney Island. And wouldn't you know they close for 2 weeks at this time every year.

http://www.coneyislandlunch.com/

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 04:37:46 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Best "summer" food and atmosphere in all of New England: The Lobster Shack on the rocks at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth, ME, (seafood, burgers, home-made desserts - open in the summer only). Runners-up: Becky's on Commercial Street in Portland, Jay's Oyster Bar on the pier, The Inn By-The-Sea in Cape Elizabeth, and Walter's in the Old Port Exchange. Best ice cream: Hodgman's Frozen Custard, Lewiston Road, New Gloucester, ME, and Beal's, Rt. 25, Gorham, ME.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 06:10:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Best "summer" food and atmosphere in all of New England: The Lobster Shack on the rocks at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth, ME, (seafood, burgers, home-made desserts - open in the summer only). Runners-up: Becky's on Commercial Street in Portland, Jay's Oyster Bar on the pier, The Inn By-The-Sea in Cape Elizabeth, and Walter's in the Old Port Exchange. Best ice cream: Hodgman's Frozen Custard, Lewiston Road, New Gloucester, ME, and Beal's, Rt. 25, Gorham, ME.
Best Big Belly Fried Clam's goes to J.J's on West Grand Ave on the corner right looking down towards the beach and wharf. Golf ball size and cooked perfectly every single time.

I think I just gained 2 lbs. just thinking about it.

Edit That's In Old Orchard beach, Maine BTW.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:27:32 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 06:26:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Also, I lived in Rhode island for 11 years so I need to concur with Champkind that Olneyville's New York System did have some of the best weiners in the state.

Also for steak lovers in Rhode Island there Twin Oaks in Cranston and then there everywhere else, so don't listen to two idiots on WEEI about steak in RI.

For Italian there's about a half dozen places on Federal Hill in Providence just pick one, none disappoint.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 07:50:27 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
Also, I lived in Rhode island for 11 years so I need to concur with Champkind that Olneyville's New York System did have some of the best weiners in the state.

Also for steak lovers in Rhode Island there Twin Oaks in Cranston and then there everywhere else, so don't listen to two idiots on WEEI about steak in RI.

For Italian there's about a half dozen places on Federal Hill in Providence just pick one, none disappoint.

I've heard Providence is a great place to spend the weekend, I may take the lady friend there sometime - sounds like a lot of places to go things to do

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 07:52:11 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

The deck at Michael's harborside in Newburyport is pretty darned cool

Best Ice Cream, I have to go local with Richardson's in Middleton, its so yummy

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
man, i love this thread!

Weylu's has been closed for years... sadly, it just seems to be a big albatross on the top of the hill (or an alcatraz!).

Kowloon is still going strong, and from what I read recently, the owner is the chairman of the Saugus selectmen, which makes total sense. Also, Big Baby went to the Kowloon soon after he landed in Boston rookie year, so that helped them remain solvent.

Route 1 is tremendous. Also, a Hooters is going to open at the former Famous Dave's BBQ soon.

We used to call Weylu's the Great Wall of Saugus!

Sorry to hear Hooters is coming back, I have always been proud that many of the cheesy chains that are so prevelant around the country don't do well in Boston.....we have our own cheese.

Sticking with Rt. 1 haunts north of Boston, here's my favorite:

I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 08:08:31 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

I've heard Providence is a great place to spend the weekend, I may take the lady friend there sometime - sounds like a lot of places to go things to do

Jumping up a few notches on the scheckles meeter, my favorite place to eat of all time is in Providence called Al Forno, especially in late August.  So many of their ingredients are locally grown and the vegtables in the end of the summer makes the selections worth the money and the time.

Al Forno is famous for essentially inventing the grilled pizza.  Simply mouth watering.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:14:53 AM by SShoreFan 2.0 »
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Jumping up a few notches on the scheckles meeter, my favorite place to eat of all time is in Providence called Al Forno, especially in late August.  So many of their ingredients are locally grown and the vegtables in the end of the summer makes the selections worth the money and the time.

Al Forno is famous for essentially inventing the grilled pizza.  Simply mouth watering.

TP4U, I second that motion. Al Forno is awesome stuff stuff. Their artichoke ravioli is off the charts.

Expect to drop a paycheck if you have a bottle of wine or a few drinks with dinner when on a date there. There's also a couple of cool nightclubs and bars right down there on the water overlooking the hurricane gate and upper harbor.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:13:44 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 09:27:41 AM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
If you're passing through the Connecticut/western Rhode Island area, you cannot beat Abbott's in Noank, near Mystic.

http://www.abbotts-lobster.com/

A classic New England lobster shack with outdoor seating, picnic tables overlooking the Mystic River.

One big plus: it is BYOB so you can grab a six-pack from the packy down the street and save on drinks.

Its sister restaurant, Costello's, is next door and the place to go if you're in the mood for fried clams.

http://www.costellosclamshack.com/index.html

I like to go on a weekday afternoon when it's not crowded and you have your pick of tables. Quaff a few IPA's and enjoy some steamers and lobster and soak up some sun to boot.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »

Offline buckets

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • si vis pacem, para bellum

becky's is absolutely awful.  you have to head further "out" on commercial street to benny's fried clams.