Author Topic: Sites / Restaurants from around New England (split from OKC thread)  (Read 15192 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
[Deleted.]

Wow kinda in bad taste...I don't have an issue with it, but some people here may.

kinda? no, it is. People died. but yeah, I try to ignore that kind of stuff and hope it goes away... giving any response is really giving reinforcement and then they do more of it
Sorry cdif, you probably changed it a month ago but your new avatar, is that the famous Route 1 Dino at the Saugus Minigolf? Pretty cool avatar, even if it's not that Dino!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:08:49 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Re: Oklahoma City's Name News!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
[Deleted.]

Wow kinda in bad taste...I don't have an issue with it, but some people here may.

kinda? no, it is. People died. but yeah, I try to ignore that kind of stuff and hope it goes away... giving any response is really giving reinforcement and then they do more of it
Sorry cdif, you probably changed it a month ago but your new avatar, is that the famous Route 1 Dino at the Saugus Minigolf? Pretty cool avatar, even if it's not that Dino!!

oh it is the Saugus minigolf dino in all his resurrected glory, still gotta get out there this summer, I make an annual visit to pay homage to all that is the orange glory

on that note, why not name the OK team, the OK Orange Rt. 1 MiniGolf Dinosaurs...that'd totally sell shirts
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:06:16 PM by Roy Hobbs »
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
[Deleted.]

oh it is the Saugus minigolf dino in all his resurrected glory, still gotta get out there this summer, I make an annual visit to pay homage to all that is the orange glory

on that note, why not name the OK team, the OK Orange Rt. 1 MiniGolf Dinosaurs...that'd totally sell shirts

You're bringing up some really hard memories for me here.  I've had years of therapy to get over the anguish of Davey the Whale being summarily replaced under cover of darkness by the management at my favorite MiniGolf Course in Harwich back in the 90's some time.  I made the management swear to me that that beloved talking whale with the mouth that moved up and down so you had to time your shot was disposed of humanely.  An absolutely dark day for me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry.

;D

But seriously. Davey ruled!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:06:34 PM by Roy Hobbs »
Yup

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:09:23 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

You're bringing up some really hard memories for me here.  I've had years of therapy to get over the anguish of Davey the Whale being summarily replaced under cover of darkness by the management at my favorite MiniGolf Course in Harwich back in the 90's some time.  I made the management swear to me that that beloved talking whale with the mouth that moved up and down so you had to time your shot was disposed of humanely.  An absolutely dark day for me.

;D

that sounds like the best minigolf thing possible...sadly I could find no picture of Davey, so for your comedic pleasure I have two images, both whale related:

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:14:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

;D

that sounds like the best minigolf thing possible...sadly I could find no picture of Davey, so for your comedic pleasure I have two images, both whale related:

LOL.

cidf the master of famous Route 1 advertisements photos! I ate at Yoken's in Peabody or was that Danvers, when I was a kid.

How about the OKC Hilltoppers

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
oh they do still have the batting cages (which I won't go in - hand eye coordination is not excellent) and the arcade, I don't think they've changed much in the last 20 years - there is a cult/commune place behind it, kinda weird

as for another weird sidenote, Yokens closed?? that's crazy

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
actually Yokens was in Portsmouth NH (it may have been on rt 1 though) - rt one between peabody and revere has some of the greatest places in the world, if not just for their signage - Hilltop's Giant Cactus, The Border Cafe's Giant "EAT" sign, of course Rt 1 Mini Golf, the Golden Banana (iconic in sign, not in class), the Giant Kappy's, even the church across the street from there, the Revere Cinemas with their occasional county fair (where it rains without a doubt every year) but my absolute favorite:

and they actually have good food!

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yeah Yoken had a place at the Lowell St exit area of Route 1 in Peabody, I think, for a long, long time. I have no idea if the place in NH is still open.

You also forgot these four icons of Route 1 lore.

Kowloon's Chinese restaurant

Leaning Tower of Pizza Restaurant

Weylu's Chinese Restaurant Pagoda

The Ship Restaurant

They should have just moved this team to Saugus and named them the Saugus Restaurant Signs.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:50:08 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
haha, yeah the Kowloon is a total icon - the Ship just actually reopened as the Ship, not sure if its any good - Prince (leaning tower) is meh, but yeah the building is awesome

you're thinking of SeaWitch, as the restaurant right at the Lowell St. exit... and the fact you know the Lowell st. exit by name is interesting - I grew up about a mile from there

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:51:30 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Re: Sites / Restaurants from around New England (split from OKC thread)
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
wow, we got put in a corner with out topic... lets try to get it back - how bout the OKC Seawitches....

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
man, i love this thread!

As a displaced boston area native now living in berkeley, california it is great to see pics of all these old icons.  Is Weylus still around? I heard they went out of business and the place closed down (maybe the owner went to jail?).  The other landmark I always liked was Kelly's roast beef, which is pretty close to the Leaning Tower of Pizza place.

Also, if you are coming from the north along route 1 and head off towards the airport there are a few other landmarks of note that I like but have never checked out.  One is the shrine to the virgin mother or something like that and the other is the squire club (probably not worth my time but...).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 11:26:42 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
man, i love this thread!

As a displaced boston area native now living in berkeley, california it is great to see pics of all these old icons.  Is Weylus still around? I heard they went out of business and the place closed down (maybe the owner went to jail?).  The other landmark I always liked was Kelly's roast beef, which is pretty close to the Leaning Tower of Pizza place.

Also, if you are coming from the north along route 1 and head off towards the airport there are a few other landmarks of note that I like but have never checked out.  One is the shrine to the virgin mother or something like that and the other is the squire club (probably not worth my time but...).

haha the north shore, how many seedy places does it have?  but yeah, the virgin statue on top of the hill on 1a (on your way to logan) - sadly Weylus is closed, I heard they had rats the size of cats! they did open a new place there, so not all is lost, haven't been there though - I loooove Kelly's Roast beef, they've really branched out - thankfully theres one about a mile and half from me in Danvers - but the Kelly's in Saugus has the best fishtank...

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
man, i love this thread!

Weylu's has been closed for years... sadly, it just seems to be a big albatross on the top of the hill (or an alcatraz!).

Kowloon is still going strong, and from what I read recently, the owner is the chairman of the Saugus selectmen, which makes total sense. Also, Big Baby went to the Kowloon soon after he landed in Boston rookie year, so that helped them remain solvent.

Route 1 is tremendous. Also, a Hooters is going to open at the former Famous Dave's BBQ soon.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
man, i love this thread!

Weylu's has been closed for years... sadly, it just seems to be a big albatross on the top of the hill (or an alcatraz!).

Kowloon is still going strong, and from what I read recently, the owner is the chairman of the Saugus selectmen, which makes total sense. Also, Big Baby went to the Kowloon soon after he landed in Boston rookie year, so that helped them remain solvent.

Route 1 is tremendous. Also, a Hooters is going to open at the former Famous Dave's BBQ soon.

I'm pretty sure the place on that albatross is actually a functional restaurant now... as for Hooters, are you sure? there have been hooters rumours on rt 1 for years (my dad lets me know every time he hears one) - if it does go there, good luck to them that is one of the worst spots on the whole strip