Author Topic: David Lee trade Idea  (Read 9321 times)

Re: David Lee trade Idea
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 02:44:23 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
This was a guy who was being talked about as the centerpiece of a trade for the fifth overall pick in the draft two weeks ago.  Among the far too little that I know of Dave Berri's work is that Lee obliterates the Wages of Wins scale.  Solid rebounder, plays extremely hard, gets his share of garbage buckets, runs the floor decently for a guy his size.

Not going anywhere for this package.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 03:07:26 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
David Lee is Very good. we're talking 11 and 9 in 30 minutes while shooting a very efficient percentage, and is only 25. We might be able to get him if we take back Randolph; the deal would have to be at least Ray Allen for Randolph and Lee, and we might have to help them clear more space, by doing something like Ray and BBD for Crawford, Lee, Curry at a minimum, possibly picks too.

Basically Lee is good, and we'd have to give up a LOT to get him or give quite a bit and take a LOT back.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 04:03:54 AM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
i don't know why always you guys want a trade with scalabrine leave him alone :P or he is not going to resing with us when his contrac expires

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 07:17:03 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
i actually wouldnt mind this trade, except for balkman coming in, then we would have 3 guys with similar skills or positions on the bench:
Powe, blakman, Lee.
wouldnt mine Davis and Scal for Lee.

as for Nate Robinson, no way, the guy is really selfish, keep him with knicks, they injoy his littleman dunks (which are nice) but i want the C's to repeat as champions

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
This isn't NBA live the game.  We can't just give up scraps to get other teams rising star(s).

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »

Offline dinoradja

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I had this discussion with my brother the other day, he's a big Lee fan.

I think it order to get this done we'd have to offer something substantial.  Here's something he came up with that most fans would probably look at and hate at first, but would make a lot of sense...

NY Trades
David Lee
Stephon Marbury

Boston Trades
Ray Allan
Scalabrine

Why this works...

NY is debating on cutting marbury if they can't dump him.  He has 1 year at 21 mill left, where as Allan has 2 years and is likely going to decline over that time (I think substantially).  It would give us cap relief a year earlier, and also give us a great young talent in Lee to help while PP and KG are here and also in the future.

Allan would be an upgrade and a bigger asset in D'Antoni's system since he's a great pure shooter.  He gives NY star power and will attract a big fan base.  Scal is filler, I didn't take the time to trade check this, but I know Allan only makes about 17 mill, so we'd have to add someone.  Ditching Scal would be a blessing in this as well.

I think most people would hate this trade.  But if you read PP's comments on Marbury he really seems to be hinting that he ought to be a Celtic.  I hate Marbury myself, but I could see him toning his game down if he was on a team where he had a chance at a ring and was playing with other vets.

I think it'd be a good move.

# EDIT #

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4719533

Here's the trade checker...seems to work.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:53:58 AM by dinoradja »

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
I had this discussion with my brother the other day, he's a big Lee fan.

I think it order to get this done we'd have to offer something substantial.  Here's something he came up with that most fans would probably look at and hate at first, but would make a lot of sense...

NY Trades
David Lee
Stephon Marbury

Boston Trades
Ray Allan
Scalabrine

Why this works...

NY is debating on cutting marbury if they can't dump him.  He has 1 year at 21 mill left, where as Allan has 2 years and is likely going to decline over that time (I think substantially).  It would give us cap relief a year earlier, and also give us a great young talent in Lee to help while PP and KG are here and also in the future.

Allan would be an upgrade and a bigger asset in D'Antoni's system since he's a great pure shooter.  He gives NY star power and will attract a big fan base.  Scal is filler, I didn't take the time to trade check this, but I know Allan only makes about 17 mill, so we'd have to add someone.  Ditching Scal would be a blessing in this as well.

I think most people would hate this trade.  But if you read PP's comments on Marbury he really seems to be hinting that he ought to be a Celtic.  I hate Marbury myself, but I could see him toning his game down if he was on a team where he had a chance at a ring and was playing with other vets.

I think it'd be a good move.

# EDIT #

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4719533

Here's the trade checker...seems to work.

This would be a horrible trade for the Celtics.  Ray Allen is by far the best player in that trade.  I like Daid Lee, but not nearly THAT much.  Also, I am not sure New York does this either.  They are rebuilding for hte future, Allen does not help that, and it is a much longer salary commitment than to Starbury.   

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i would love this trade for the celtics but... i don't think ny will do it. (i'm reffering to the first trade posted) however, you never know. they turned down what seemed to be an excellent offer from the clippers to take randolph.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Where did Pierce hint that Starbury should be a Celtic?

He might not be such a cancer if he knows what kind of Rep he will have for LIFE, and he has a chance to win a championship. However, it is almost impossible that anyone would take a chance on him; he would probably be his usual shoot-first self, and him buying into Ubuntu?

EDIT: I see that PP just said Starbury should leave if the Knicks want to rebuild, and they made a lot out of it ( the press did ). Also, he's apparently friends with KG.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:49:33 AM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
i actually wouldnt mind this trade, except for balkman coming in, then we would have 3 guys with similar skills or positions on the bench:
Powe, blakman, Lee.
wouldnt mine Davis and Scal for Lee.

as for Nate Robinson, no way, the guy is really selfish, keep him with knicks, they injoy his littleman dunks (which are nice) but i want the C's to repeat as champions

The problem here isn't on the Celtics' end.

-sw

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 03:03:54 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
We should sign posey to a 4 yr mle and trade him Scal Pruitt and BBD for Lee Balkman and
Crawford, even if we had to through in a pick I would do this trade! The question is would NYK?

I would rathe have
Lee
Balkman
Crawford

Then

Posey
Pruitt
BBD
Scal
Pick
I would even through in another player if we had to. Lee Balkman and Crawford are all good players with Lee being the best.
Still even if you took out posey and crawford , I dont even know if the numbers would work out with crawford and posey

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:12:26 PM by Gomesfan »
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
We should sign posey to a 4 yr mle and trade him Scal Pruitt and BBD for Lee Balkman and
Crawford, even if we had to through in a pick I would do this trade! The question is would NYK?

I would rathe have
Lee
Balkman
Crawford

Then

Posey
Pruitt
BBD
Scal
Pick
I would even through in another player if we had to. Lee Balkman and Crawford are all good players with Lee being the best.

Hard to imagine the Knicks making that move.  It really doesn't solve any of their many problems.  That isn't to say that the Celtics necessarily make the move either -- it's largely demonstrative of the fact that a 'little-things' guy like Posey has a far greater value to a team on the cusp of a championship than to a rebuilding team.  And as of now, the Celts' pick isn't likely high enough to be a deal-breaker one way or the other.

As to your appraisal of the players coming from the Knicks in this move -- Balkman is coming off an abominable sophomore campaign.  He took significant steps backward in his statistical production, and his play was marred by constant mental mistakes and a characteristic lack of finesse.  In his rookie season, he was an unrefined energy guy on a terrible team whose mistakes were largely tolerated because of the natural expectation that he would remove the roughness around the edges of his game with time.  In year two, he was an unrefined energy guy on a terrible team who had not only not progressed but was making more mistakes and doing less to help the team when on the floor.  I'm not suggesting to write him off -- but I wouldn't get too crazy about him too quickly.

In the meantime, while I've written on occasion this year bout how much more I've come to like Jamal Crawford this season than I did in the past, it still isn't a coincidence that he has (if memory serves) the worst winning percentage among active players with more than 400 games played.  No, he isn't responsible for all of the Knicks' problems, but this is still something I'd be wary of.  A big part of that winning percentage issue may have to do with the fact that at his core, he has still established a legacy thus far of being a chucker who doesn't guard anyone.  Nice guy, says the right things, seems like a decent teammate -- and I think a guy who has the potential to be useful in the right situation -- but again, someone who still has a long way to go.

-sw

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Great idea!  Unfortunately, the Knicks are no longer run by someone stupid enough to actually do this.

They did just turn down getting a mulligan on the Zach Randolph era. ???  I don't know who was stupider, the Knicks for turning down that trade or the Clips for proposing it.

For the record, Scal has negative value, Pruitt has no trade value, and BBD has very minimum trade value, so -1+0+1=0  Lee and Balkman have value, so we have to offer more than zero. The Knicks were trying to get a lottery pick with Lee a few weeks ago.