Author Topic: Is Antoine a valid option?  (Read 16679 times)

Re: Is Antoine a valid option?
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

In my opinion what can't be argued is his love of the Boston Celtics. IMO he always cared about winning and more importantly cared about the Boston Celtics winning. The man bleeds green and if we can get him at the min, have him come in as the 12th man where anything he gives us is a bonus why not bring him back?

Then perhaps they should hire him to work in the studio with Gary & Donny.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
If we can somehow acquire him on the cheap, he is more than a valid option.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
In my opinion what can't be argued is his love of the Boston Celtics. IMO he always cared about winning and more importantly cared about the Boston Celtics winning. The man bleeds green and if we can get him at the min, have him come in as the 12th man where anything he gives us is a bonus why not bring him back?

The only potential argument to that is, if he cared about winning so much, how come he didn't get into optimal shape?  How come he took so many bad shots, that even he must have seen weren't a smart option?

Overall, I think he had Celtics Pride, and I certainly appreciated him.  However, he definitely had mixed up priorities, and I can't say that he always put the team first, because he didn't.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't post all that much, but when I see an "Antoine" topic, I feel the need- anyway, he would be great to have back. He is certainly not a starter at this point in his career, but he would be a great "leader" for the 2nd unit. He is clearly better than Scal and if he can be the "playmaker" Antoine instead of the "chucker" Antoine, he would be a nice option at the min.

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 01:03:39 PM »

Offline DannyAinge

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • "IN AINGE I TRUST"
Is Antoine a valid option?

NO

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Antoine would be a valid option as replacement for Tommy Heinsohn as color man for CSN telecasts after Tommy retires.

He could give out WalkerWiggles.

Of course then Celticsblog would have to convert Tommy Points to WalkerWiggles.

I wonder what the mathematical equation for that conversion would be. I hope it wouldn't be like converting money where 1 Euro = 163,000 Mexican pesos. Or something like that.

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I love Antoine with his faults & all. He is what he is & always has been since his rookie when he was that outstanding offensive rebounder & inside player. Although he takes ill-advised 3pt shots alot of times, he still knows how to lead a team & those shots was a major part of our system.Believe it or not, the team scheme was built for him to take those very same shots & the coaching staff & media used him as the fall guy for a terrible coaching scheme during the Pitino-O'Brien era. He passes well for a 4, shoots well for a 4, and probably the best dribbler in the league at the 4 spot. Plus, the most notably. The Celtics are always in contention with him on the squad with crummy teams that surround him. His leadership & the way he motivates outweigh alot of faults in my eyes, and with this team he would have more than a Posey type impact in the leadership role. So I vote to bring Toine back if the oppurtunity is very cheap & inexpensive.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I love Antoine with his faults & all. He is what he is & always has been since his rookie when he was that outstanding offensive rebounder & inside player. Although he takes ill-advised 3pt shots alot of times, he still knows how to lead a team & those shots was a major part of our system.Believe it or not, the team scheme was built for him to take those very same shots & the coaching staff & media used him as the fall guy for a terrible coaching scheme during the Pitino-O'Brien era. He passes well for a 4, shoots well for a 4, and probably the best dribbler in the league at the 4 spot. Plus, the most notably. The Celtics are always in contention with him on the squad with crummy teams that surround him. His leadership & the way he motivates outweigh alot of faults in my eyes, and with this team he would have more than a Posey type impact in the leadership role. So I vote to bring Toine back if the oppurtunity is very cheap & inexpensive.

I never thought he was a great inside player. His moves were to inconsistent.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »

Offline GWVan

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
It is summer, I am bored, I haven't posted for a while, so.....here goes....I would rather keep Scalabrine than bring back Walker.   Maybe this thread will reach four pages?   :-\
I don't know why Antoine Walkers name is mentioned over & over
he isn't as good as davis, powe OR SCAL

that's just not nice, to say he's not as good as Scal...

a couple of lines from games this year: I don't think Scal could do this one his best day:

Vs. Denver 24 pts, 5 rebounds - 9/17 shooting 4/8 from 3pt
vs. Ind.   23 pts, 5 rebounds - 7/15 shooting, 6/10 from 3pt
vs. GSW    26 pts, 10 rebounds - 10/15 shooting, 4/7 from 3pt

he still has some game left, and did ok in a very limited role in Minn. He's better than scal

Great job of cherry picking

ALL on Antoine's games in Feb
(the last month he played?)

0 pts 2 reb 0-3 0-2
7 pts 1 reb 2-8 1-6
12 pts 5 reb 4-12 1-5
8 pts 4 reb 3-9 2-5
3 pts 4 reb 1-5 1-3
0 pts 4 reb 0-2 0-2
2 pts 6 reb 1-4 0-1

At least Scal knows when to stop shooting

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It is summer, I am bored, I haven't posted for a while, so.....here goes....I would rather keep Scalabrine than bring back Walker.   Maybe this thread will reach four pages?   :-\

a couple of lines from games this year: I don't think Scal could do this one his best day:

he still has some game left, and did ok in a very limited role in Minn. He's better than scal

0 pts 2 reb 0-3 0-2
7 pts 1 reb 2-8 1-6
12 pts 5 reb 4-12 1-5
8 pts 4 reb 3-9 2-5
3 pts 4 reb 1-5 1-3
0 pts 4 reb 0-2 0-2
2 pts 6 reb 1-4 0-1

You have to play to shoot.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49

0 pts 2 reb 0-3 0-2
7 pts 1 reb 2-8 1-6
12 pts 5 reb 4-12 1-5
8 pts 4 reb 3-9 2-5
3 pts 4 reb 1-5 1-3
0 pts 4 reb 0-2 0-2
2 pts 6 reb 1-4 0-1

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Antoine, but Scal had taken 'not shooting' to the level where he was passing up open shots.

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

0 pts 2 reb 0-3 0-2
7 pts 1 reb 2-8 1-6
12 pts 5 reb 4-12 1-5
8 pts 4 reb 3-9 2-5
3 pts 4 reb 1-5 1-3
0 pts 4 reb 0-2 0-2
2 pts 6 reb 1-4 0-1

you missed the point of my post, it was that Scal could not put up the best numbers toine put up, as evidenced by those 3 days, which were his best of last season - for someone to suggest Scal is as good as Walker right now is a fallacy. Scal could not put up 20 points in an NBA game - his season high this year was 9, twice (on 2 for 5 shooting and 4 for 9 shooting)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2008, 02:28:37 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I don't like seeing all this hatred on Antoine. I will admit to seeing his doubts when Miami signed him, but he won them a ring that year. After that though, his ring went to his ego and all hell broke loose past that. He gained weight, lost his 3 point shot, and taught himself his ball hog instincts again. BUT, he still helped Miami get a ring.  Plus, this "Imbuntu" thing Doc Rivers has started with the team, has completely changed players that you wouldn't have thought to be defensive minded. Perkins previously was always looked at as a foul per minute player, but he managed to hold Gaysol down in the finals after hurting his shoulder. KG has always been a defensive beast, but the green jersey team defense helped that show better. Pierce picked up his D game again with shutting down every big name (Lebron, kobe, etc) and even RAY allen of all ppl learned how to truly play D. The list is endless but the point is...For Antoine to succeed in green again, he's going to have to learn Defense and when to take the shot. With that he would be great.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2008, 04:03:58 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think Toine would be down for being one of the last guys off the bench. He probably still thinks he's a premier 3-pt shooter.

That should be one of any teams biggest fears when signing Antoine.  Antoine is also an overrated rebounder.  A lot of his rebounds are from his own misses. :-\

How would he do that if he's out there jacking up 3's 90% of the time?

Also, would you prefer the other team get those rebounds instead?

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2008, 04:14:23 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
We really shouldn't be comparing Toine to Scal. If we lose out on Posey and choose not to resign Tony Allen, Scal is the next "vet off the bench".

I'd rather have Toine at the vet minimum instead of Scal.

What can Scal bring to the table more than Toine.