Author Topic: Is Antoine a valid option?  (Read 16800 times)

Re: Is Antoine a valid option?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »

Offline scitlec

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm looking forward to the day Antoine retires, so everyone can finally drop the idea of him coming back to Boston.

I don't know why anyone even mentions his name anymore.  Let it go.

Re: Is Antonie a valid option?
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 04:52:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
can't people just bump old threads with things like this?

its not like any of the other 150 "bring back twain!" threads are locked or something, just bump one.

I love that the title is "Antonie"

and Crownsy calls him "twain" - Samuel Clemens is not walking through that door....and if he does, he'll be dead and old, floating on the Mississippi

lol, yea, thats my B
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm looking forward to the day Antoine retires, so everyone can finally drop the idea of him coming back to Boston.

Hmm...  if people are still bringing up Latrell Sprewell, I'm not sure that Antoine's retirement will solve anything.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »

Offline xperimentvictim

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
The only thing I will say on the subject is:

Antoine was the heart and soul of this underdog team that made it to the ECF in 2002.  Antoine completely embraces what it is to be a Celtic.  However, how things currently are I can only see him in the same capacity that Scalabrine took this past season.  Sans the exuberant contract.  If we were to get a rid of the red head I'd be okay signing Antoine at the veterans minimum and putting him on the IRL every night. 

Any takers on that? 

C'mon the guy was at a LOT of the playoff games.  He loves the Celtics.

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Hmm...  if people are still bringing up Latrell Sprewell, I'm not sure that Antoine's retirement will solve anything.

Yep.  After Antoine retires, some fans will want to bring him out of retirement for half a season, like PJ Brown. ::)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »

Offline bigtyc55

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 5

"Shhhh....stop bringing me up, I am not an option!"

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Antoine should look to crack the Grizzlies starting lineup, if at all possible, to increase his value so he can get traded to a "contender".

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bring back Antoine threads have a lot of similarities to, well, see if you can guess.

- They come around about once a month
- When they are here there is always talk of a "friend" or "bringing back an old friend".
- They usually putter out and go away in 4 or 5 days.
- They can make a normally very nice person very, very cranky.
- For some they make you very, very happy, almost like it is a relief to have it back.

I'm sure there are more. If only Celticsblog could gets its tubes tied.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 05:32:44 AM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Antoine should look to crack the Grizzlies starting lineup, if at all possible, to increase his value so he can get traded to a "contender".

exactly.  He's at a crossroads in his career right now.  He can go either two ways : The NBA way or the Lattrell Sprewell way. 

In other words, he better bust his azz to crack the rotation in Memphis of all places...otherwise, it's OVAH!

Re: Is Antonie a valid option?
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What is the fascination with Antoine? He plays zero defense and has no shot discipline! Ugh..
So he's kind of like a fat Sam.C
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 09:17:16 AM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Mr. Scitlec, you wrote: ".....so everyone can drop the idea of him coming back to Boston.......'? Why do you say "everyone"? I dont want him back even if he played for free. So please rephrase your statement to: "Some fans maybe would like Toine to come back to Boston" or "Since a few fans would like Toine to come back to Boston, I cannot wait for him to retire". That would be a lot more accurate  :o
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I like Antoine Walker. I am all for bring him back to the Celtics for one year at the minimum. He can be an asset with his attitude and competitive spirit. He certainly is not disliked around Boston.

OTOH he is not an option at SF under any stretch of the imagination. He is best suited for 10mpg max at the backup PF. WE already have three of those in Powe, Davis and Scalabrine.

I fear he would be like Sam Cassell and take far to many long outside shots. He would win a game or two possibly but lose many more if allowed that option. His days of taking over games and winning them are long gone. Does he even realize that? 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »

Offline saibnel

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I've got to admit, I've been on the "bring back Antoine" train for a long time.  I was furious at Ainge both times he traded him and wanted him to come back up until last season.  I'll even buy the argument that he has game left in him and can get back to the level he was at when he was the second leading scorer in the playoffs for the NBA champion Heat.

Still, he doesn't fit in here.  With the exception of Perkins, our frontline is already either perimeter oriented (Garnett and Scalabrine) or undersized (Powe and Davis).  At the 3, Toine is too much of a defensive liability. 

He just doesn't fit the team's needs as currently constructed even if we do entertain the idea he can still contribute. 

Toine was the second leading scorer? That absolutely is not correct, maybe third behind wade and shaq.

He scored 13 a game on 40% shooting - 32% from 3 - and 57% from the line, he was a dynamo!

Toine has been done for awhile, he doesnt fit our needs. I would much rather take a flyer on a player with potential or one definitive skill for our end of the bench spots

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Bring back Antoine threads have a lot of similarities to, well, see if you can guess.

- They come around about once a month
- When they are here there is always talk of a "friend" or "bringing back an old friend".
- They usually putter out and go away in 4 or 5 days.
- They can make a normally very nice person very, very cranky.
- For some they make you very, very happy, almost like it is a relief to have it back.

I'm sure there are more. If only Celticsblog could gets its tubes tied.

I think Antoine's lustre is finally wearing off on Celticsblog. An Antoine thread only 2 pages long?  Is this the first time that has happened?  His days are definitely numbered.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 10:28:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've got to admit, I've been on the "bring back Antoine" train for a long time.  I was furious at Ainge both times he traded him and wanted him to come back up until last season.  I'll even buy the argument that he has game left in him and can get back to the level he was at when he was the second leading scorer in the playoffs for the NBA champion Heat.

Still, he doesn't fit in here.  With the exception of Perkins, our frontline is already either perimeter oriented (Garnett and Scalabrine) or undersized (Powe and Davis).  At the 3, Toine is too much of a defensive liability. 

He just doesn't fit the team's needs as currently constructed even if we do entertain the idea he can still contribute. 

Toine was the second leading scorer? That absolutely is not correct, maybe third behind wade and shaq.

He scored 13 a game on 40% shooting - 32% from 3 - and 57% from the line, he was a dynamo!

Toine has been done for awhile, he doesnt fit our needs. I would much rather take a flyer on a player with potential or one definitive skill for our end of the bench spots
Actually, and I hate to have to admit this, another poster here at CB, who is either Antoine himself, his agent, or a close and personal friend or family member of Antoine's judging by his love and adamance over bringing Walker back, and I had a long talk about this and he did correctly point out that Walker scored 1 more point for the Heat in that entires series than Shaq did.

What is not a part of that statement is that Walker went off twice scoring a tremendous number of his points in garbage time of a blowout loss of the Heat's. During times when the games were crucial or during Heat wins, Walker's scoring was almost nowhere to be seen.

But that doesn't stop people from reveling in the fallacy that Walker was imposrtant in that series because he was the Heat's 2nd leading scorer in that series.