Author Topic: Is Antoine a valid option?  (Read 16771 times)

Is Antoine a valid option?
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Say for instance he does get bought out and we do not resign Posey, we would have a gaping hole concerning our backup SF spot. I know to even bring up Walker on this board means the conversation will turn into a flame war but is he honestly worse than the garbage that is out there right now? He knows the system and I think would sign for close to the minimum to play with Pierce again. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:35:13 PM by Redz »

Re: Is Antonie a valid option?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No. 

He is to slow to be a useful SF.

To small to be a useful PF.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 04:03:30 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:13 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
He's under contract to another team, and there aren't any active rumors of him being bought out.  Due to that, I don't see him as a valid option.

As I've said consistently, I have no problem bringing Antoine back as the 15th man / towel waver.  That's all you should really expect out of him, though.  I'm not sure he's that much better than Scal at this point, especially when you consider defense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
What is the fascination with Antoine? He plays zero defense and has no shot discipline! Ugh..

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Say for instance he does get bought out and we do not resign Posey, we would have a gaping hole concerning our backup SF spot. I know to even bring up Walker on this board means the conversation will turn into a flame war but is he honestly worse than the garbage that is out there right now? He knows the system and I think would sign for close to the minimum to play with Pierce again. Just a thought.

I'm glad you used the word "valid".  No he's not a "valid" option.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Well, seeing that Defense won us a title last year, I don't see any way that Walker can fit in.  He didn't play any D when he was young and athletic, what is going to do now that he is old, fat and complacent?

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 04:12:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
can't people just bump old threads with things like this?

its not like any of the other 150 "bring back twain!" threads are locked or something, just bump one.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'd bring him back for nostalgia purposes if its a vet minimum contract and we have 2 roster spots open (don't want him taking the last spot, in case we need someone) - no one bled green harder than toine, and he still has a little left in the tank, I think he's got a little more to give than scal, but he's not a rotation guy on a title team imo
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
It would be great to have Toine finish his career here with a championship, despite what all his detractors have to say.  But Roy is right, he would be a bench warmer, basically the Scal role.  In no way could he replace what Posey does.  Toine is not as bad a defender as people seem to think, but he's subpar for his position.  It would be great to have him back though.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
is he honestly worse than the garbage that is out there right now?
Yes -- he's garbage who doesn't realize he is one.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
can't people just bump old threads with things like this?

its not like any of the other 150 "bring back twain!" threads are locked or something, just bump one.

I love that the title is "Antonie"

and Crownsy calls him "twain" - Samuel Clemens is not walking through that door....and if he does, he'll be dead and old, floating on the Mississippi
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 04:34:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Every morning I wake up with an emptiness inside me. I have tried to fill it with many things, but nothing has worked. It is only now that I realize what has been missing. I need a little wiggle in my life. It doesn't need to be a lot of wiggle only enough to bide my time until the Celtics get another player who does a ridiculous dance when he scores. I say bring him back.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Is Antoine a valid option?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 04:44:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Anytime I see and Antoine thread I immediately check the number of posts the poster has.

I can't help but wonder if the people who start threads about signing past Celtics watch any other NBA teams. People seem so fixated on past Celtics, but considering the % of current available NBA players who have played on the Celtics, you would expect a low probability that the best options are ex-Celtics. Nevertheless...

We can find better system guys for the minimum.

Re: Is Antoine a valid option?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I've got to admit, I've been on the "bring back Antoine" train for a long time.  I was furious at Ainge both times he traded him and wanted him to come back up until last season.  I'll even buy the argument that he has game left in him and can get back to the level he was at when he was the second leading scorer in the playoffs for the NBA champion Heat.

Still, he doesn't fit in here.  With the exception of Perkins, our frontline is already either perimeter oriented (Garnett and Scalabrine) or undersized (Powe and Davis).  At the 3, Toine is too much of a defensive liability. 

He just doesn't fit the team's needs as currently constructed even if we do entertain the idea he can still contribute.