Author Topic: Dealing Ray Allen  (Read 14081 times)

Re: Dealing Ray Allen
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I check this site alllll the time, but I had to register on this one. Did dude really say Dunleavy is better than Ray Allen? Picture Dunleavy trying to guard Kobe in the finals....

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The people of CelticsBlog say

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I check this site alllll the time, but I had to register on this one. Did dude really say Dunleavy is better than Ray Allen? Picture Dunleavy trying to guard Kobe in the finals....

I would like to issue an apology to the members of this board, the broader Celtics community, and to the friends and family of Mr. Ray Allen. I am a data guy by trade, and hope you can understand why I might get cought up in the numbers (which work on verious trade checkers financially, and do suport my conclusions. Jeff Foster, by the numbers, is the best rebounder in the NBA. I digress.)

The above post was like a bucket of cold water, snapping me out of a deep slumber. Having remembered the 86 plus contests I had the privledge of watching Ray Allen participate in this season, I can no longer argue in support of my original premises, and submit to the will of this board.

This is a poorly concieved trade. Go Celtics.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

I would like to issue an apology to the members of this board, the broader Celtics community, and to the friends and family of Mr. Ray Allen. I am a data guy by trade, and hope you can understand why I might get cought up in the numbers (which work on verious trade checkers financially, and do suport my conclusions. Jeff Foster, by the numbers, is the best rebounder in the NBA. I digress.)

The above post was like a bucket of cold water, snapping me out of a deep slumber. Having remembered the 86 plus contests I had the privledge of watching Ray Allen participate in this season, I can no longer argue in support of my original premises, and submit to the will of this board.

TP for that, buddy. :)

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
Did you take into account the Jamal "locker room Cancer" Tinsley effect?
I don't even want Tinsley on the floor near our guys when they play (which for the most part, he won't be, because he's been hurt half his career).

I like Jeff Foster. He's a great BACKUP.

Mike Dunleavey? Really? Someone had to score on that team. I guess Dunleavey got to hoist more shots.

Ray was the 3rd option who SACRIFICED not only his offensive looks, game in general, but stepped up and played some serious defense. He made the opposing shooting guards work for their points (barring the one JJ explosion).  The Guy played a ton of minutes and sacrificed to get a championship.

I would only trade him for a marquee guy.

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
What is it with all these Ray Allen Trade topics.
Are you nuts!
Can't break up the ____ Three.
Besides anyone who thinks the Celtics would have won without Ray Allen is not all there. He did so many little things when he was struglling with his shot (not to mention spacing the floor). The guy is one of a kind. He is the smartest guy on the floor and the guy who holds it all together.

Stop the madness!!!

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 11:12:58 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

No need to apologize.
JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN, YA HEAR?!  ;D
No, seriously, I always like when
someone admits they're "wrong".
I totally respect that.
And it calls for a Tommy Point.
So here you go: TP!

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And here I was speculating the other day that the dumb trade threads would be as abundant this year. I guess once again I am proven to be as dumb as I look.

This is a horrible trade. Put Ray on that Pacer team last year in Dunleavey's spot and he's scoring 26-27 PPG. He is that much better than Dunleavey.

And you entire Gordon scenario is a fairy tale based in wishes and has no basis in a thing I like to call reality.

I waiting for the "let's trade Ray Allen for Kobe Bryant because LA will want to get something for Bryant because this is his last year of his contract and having Ray guaranteed another year allows LA to be a player in the LeBron sweepstakes" thread. That one should be worth a few good laughs.

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 08:22:10 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
I waiting for the "let's trade Ray Allen for Kobe Bryant because LA will want to get something for Bryant because this is his last year of his contract and having Ray guaranteed another year allows LA to be a player in the LeBron sweepstakes" thread. That one should be worth a few good laughs.

Or a few good trips to the bathroom...

(There were better pics of
"puking" at Google images
but I think you get the idea)

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Trade Ray Allen?!...Not a chance. The guy was known for his offense his whole career but was able to annoy Kobe and figure out a way to out play the best player in the league. It was team defense that officially stopped Kobe, plus Pierce in Game 4 in the 2nd half, but Allen was the main guy guarding him. Kobe didn't average 50 a game and there's a reason behind that. Plus Allen was sloppy during the 1st 2 series, but he picked it back up and helped Boston win another ring. There's no reason to break up the Big 3 just yet. Wait till they're old and washed up in their contracts before wasting their talents to trades for problem players(tinsley) and weak shooters(dunleavy). Keep our team and hope Posey and House stay. Pick up a couple vets and lets make it 2 in a row to start the new big 3 dynasty
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

Offline tmcdon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I totally agree with those fans here expressing the sentiment that Ray Allen not even be considered in trade, not simply because of his great play (and his play was great - he is still one of the elite shooters/scorers in the game) but because he was completely willing to sacrifice his game and of himself for this team to be successful.

I would ask, humbly, and as a life-long fan that others stop asking for Ray Allen to be traded.  It's disrespectful of the contributions and sacrifices he made for this team. 

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I totally agree with those fans here expressing the sentiment that Ray Allen not even be considered in trade, not simply because of his great play (and his play was great - he is still one of the elite shooters/scorers in the game) but because he was completely willing to sacrifice his game and of himself for this team to be successful.

I would ask, humbly, and as a life-long fan that others stop asking for Ray Allen to be traded.  It's disrespectful of the contributions and sacrifices he made for this team. 

The reason that I have no problem with what Brand and Boozer did to their teams is because the NBA is a business. Players have to do what is best for them and Gms have to do what is best for the team. Sometimes fans, coaches, and even teammates forget it's a business, when trades are made, and react and speak out of emotion.

Having said that, I think Ray will get traded next summer (win or lose) because Danny is smart and understands how the NBA works. Fans, coaches, and teammates of Ray might not like it, but Danny's job is to keep this team a championship contender as long as possible.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
People forget that this was only the very 1st season that Ray and KG played with Paul Pierce.

I expect Ray to have an even better season next year!

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I could be wrong but I think Larry Bird has gone on record saying he won't do any trades with Boston so it wouldn't happen anyway.