Author Topic: What do Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer have in common?  (Read 11501 times)

Re: What do Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer have in common?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Sounds like a lot of people are "misremembering" what Boozer did. Boozer's agent convinced the Cavs to not pick up a team option, and had a deal in place. They gave the Cavs blind, benevolent owner their word that he would sign a long-term deal with CLE. As soon as they declined the option, Boozer bolted for Utah.

Dunleavy was adamant on SportsCenter last night that Brand gave him his word that he was coming back to LA. He claims that Brand told him "I just want $75 million". Then Falk started asking for $150 million. He even quoted Brand saying "It's going to be me and BD!"

Bottom line: Dukies are scumbags. That's why a slang term for feces is "Dukie".

You can't blame Boozer for what happened.  Any "agreement" he had reached would have been illegal anyway, and the Cavs were stupid to think that Boozer would turn down an extra what, 29 million dollars?  The fact that their owner was blind means nothing.  The Cavs deserved to get burned after trying to lowball Boozer.

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sounds like a lot of people are "misremembering" what Boozer did. Boozer's agent convinced the Cavs to not pick up a team option, and had a deal in place. They gave the Cavs blind, benevolent owner their word that he would sign a long-term deal with CLE. As soon as they declined the option, Boozer bolted for Utah.

Dunleavy was adamant on SportsCenter last night that Brand gave him his word that he was coming back to LA. He claims that Brand told him "I just want $75 million". Then Falk started asking for $150 million. He even quoted Brand saying "It's going to be me and BD!"

You can't blame Boozer for what happened.  Any "agreement" he had reached would have been illegal anyway, and the Cavs were stupid to think that Boozer would turn down an extra what, 29 million dollars?  The fact that their owner was blind means nothing.  The Cavs deserved to get burned after trying to lowball Boozer.

Well, at the time, Boozer's agents thought it was pretty sleazy.  See here.

My thought is, if your agency thinks what you did is wrong (and were willing to sacrifice their commission because of it), you probably weren't acting completely above board.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
Everyone who is claiming that what Brand did was sleazy needs to get off their high horse. I do not believe anyone would turn down more money and a better situation out of loyalty. This is the NBA and the team would trade you to a worse situation in a heartbeat if it helped the owner out. Good job by Brand looking out for his own self interest and not the owners.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Everyone who is claiming that what Brand did was sleazy needs to get off their high horse. I do not believe anyone would turn down more money and a better situation out of loyalty. 

I would. If I had given my word, I'd stick to it. And btw, whatever you can buy with 80 million, you can buy with 70 million.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 02:12:52 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Exactly. This is America. If money is your primary motivation, fine. That's the player's prerogative.

But lying to people who trust you in order to squeeze a couple more million on top of the tens of millions you already have in hand is sleazy.

If James Posey signs with another team for more money, I would not hold it against him. He never made anyone in Boston any promises.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They didn't try and lowball Boozer. The offer was all the money they had available. They told him that they could give him a much larger deal in a year but he didn't want to wait.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:43 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
If James Posey signs with another team for more money, I would not hold it against him. He never made anyone in Boston any promises.

I just have a bad feeling for his agent. This situation probably is getting worse than it ever needed to be.

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
As a tried true-blue Duke fan, I had a real hard time in what Boozer did, but lets face it -- teams try to pinch the players and the agents (players) try to do the same, it happens in all sports.

The Clippers, who I feel may have been wronged in this case, have a history of being perhaps the worst team in all of sports to their players, I am not losing a bit of sleep over this.  What really bothered me was not that Boozer screwed over Cleveland (which he did in my estimation) it was that he screwed over Cleveland with the help of the Utah Jazz, a team who should know better.

As for what else they had in common.........a history of whupping the TarHeels on an annual basis!!!

I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 02:40:40 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Clearly, all former Duke players were Business majors.

Corey Maggette turned down offers from SA and BOS to play for Golden State.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons