Author Topic: What do Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer have in common?  (Read 11591 times)

What do Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer have in common?
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

I guess they weren't Ethics majors.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

Re: What do Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer have in common?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
They also both like getting payed more to go to better teams, it's a job offer, and both made the obvious choice to go with the better option.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:50:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Haha! TP great correlation!

Ethics hasn't been a part of the Duke curriculum since their "guilty before innocent" mentality during the rape case.

How’s that work out for them!? :o

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I see nothing unethical of what Brand did.  From everything I heard, it sounds like it was the Clippers were the ones who drove him away.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I see nothing unethical of what Brand did.  From everything I heard, it sounds like it was the Clippers were the ones who drove him away.

Take the thread the way it is supposed to be taken...

In jest  ;D

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Agree with the TP - I'd noticed the "backstabbing PF" similarity, but forgot both went to Duke.  This makes the UNC fan in me very happy.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard

It depends on who is telling the truth. Many have reported that Brand told the Clippers he was opting out to allow them salary cap flexibility, and that he had every intention of re-signing.

Now Brand is saying that he never said that. And no one knows what the Clippers offer really was. Something tells me that it wasn't much less than the Sixers gave him.

Boozer, on the other hand, lied to Cleveland, and no one denies this.

UNC Tarheels would have never behaved like this.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It depends on who is telling the truth. Many have reported that Brand told the Clippers he was opting out to allow them salary cap flexibility, and that he had every intention of re-signing.

Now Brand is saying that he never said that. And no one knows what the Clippers offer really was. Something tells me that it wasn't much less than the Sixers gave him.

They just would have taken the money and run straight to Vegas?

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:13:58 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard

They just would have taken the money and run straight to Vegas?

Only MJ would have!   ;)

Eric Montross and Joe Forte would have been arrested for "stealing money".

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

Rick Fox, from Boston to LA  ;)

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:06 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
The better question is what did the GMs of the Clippers and Cavaliers have in common?
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
They're both ugly

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Aside from the fact they're both legit double-double threats everytime they stepped on the court? How bout they both double-crossed their former teams?  ;D

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:09:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Cleveland could have given Boozer the money Utah gave him.  If they did he would still be a Cav and the Cavs might have a championship.  Cleveland tried to pull a fast one believing the market for Boozer wasn't that great and it bit them on the ass.  They are every bit, if not more, to blame for losing Boozer than Boozer is.  Moral is you don't let a guy out of his contract so you can sign him to a long term contract below his market value without the risk that another team will actually pay his market value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Cleveland could have given Boozer the money Utah gave him.  If they did he would still be a Cav and the Cavs might have a championship. 

That's not really true.  Yes, as a restricted free agent, the Cavs had the right to "match".  However, since Boozer was coming off his second season, they didn't have Bird rights.  That meant the team would have had to clear sufficient salary cap space to be able to match Utah's offer, and couldn't do so. 

After the same thing happened with Gilbert Arenas, the CBA was modified.  Now, a team can't sign a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league to an offer sheet worth more than the MLE in its first year.  If that had been the rule at the time, Golden State could have matched Arenas and Cleveland could have matched Boozer.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions