Poll

Celics bench needs vets, right?

Add more experienced vets
5 (100%)
Look for younger legs
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Celics bench needs vets, right?  (Read 2619 times)

Celics bench needs vets, right?
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
It's proven every year, that teams with vets, on the bench or starting line up, help change the ending to a game or play off series. Horry has done it for a couple of teams now, Lindsey Hunter for the Pistons, and our own Sam Cassell/PJ Brown for the Celts. This year we're bound to lose key players from the bench b/c of injuries/retirement/$$$, etc. So to replace those guys, we need vets to fill up the bench. I vote that KG should give both Tyron Lue and Latrell Sprewell a call. They both could make that offense/defense w/vet experience difference for us. If Alonzo Mourning is back to safe health, we should pursue him as well. He could probably help our younger big men on defense to teach them the timing of blocking shots without fouling out(Perkins). What are your thoughts?
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Celics bench needs vets, right?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Latrell Sprewell? How old is he now anyway? I wonder when the last time is that he actually picked up a basketball, nevermind being in NBA shape. I used to think the guy was fairly talented, but that was in the 90s.

I am not hatin' the Lue idea. He has had a couple of decent NBA seasons and he is not horrible as a back-up, but it seems like we could possibly do better (Arroyo?).

I still think we are going to get PJ back mid-season, just like this past year, so not sure if Zo is necessary, but it definitely couldn't hurt. Poor guy needs to retire soon, though. He really has given it his all throughout his NBA career.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Zo has said if he comes back it will be with Miami. Until someone provides a link to something that says different, we can forget about Mourning playing in Boston.

The Celtics added some youth and athleticism in the draft so far this off season. Now we have Perk, Rondo, Powe, BBD, Pruitt, Giddens, and Walker as our young players. So now I think we just need to add some proven veterans to solidify our team and make a run at banner 18.

We need a vet PG and vet Center. Posey is the only vet wing that interests me. If we don't get Posey, roll with the young guys and maybe pickup someone that can D up and compete for minutes. So yes, I think the Celts bench needs to add at least 2 vets. If i had it my way, those vets would be James Posey and Eddie House. Then take the best big man we can get.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
It's proven every year, that teams with vets, on the bench or starting line up, help change the ending to a game or play off series. Horry has done it for a couple of teams now, Lindsey Hunter for the Pistons, and our own Sam Cassell/PJ Brown for the Celts. This year we're bound to lose key players from the bench b/c of injuries/retirement/$$$, etc. So to replace those guys, we need vets to fill up the bench. I vote that KG should give both Tyron Lue and Latrell Sprewell a call. They both could make that offense/defense w/vet experience difference for us. If Alonzo Mourning is back to safe health, we should pursue him as well. He could probably help our younger big men on defense to teach them the timing of blocking shots without fouling out(Perkins). What are your thoughts?

Don't like Lue... rather have House.

Spreewell? um, NO!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I still say Sprewell should be considered. He's desperate as hell for money, and at least could be  worked out right? Doug Christie maybe? W/e happened to Keith Van Horn? I'd rather see him throwing up 3's and taking up leftover minutes than Scalabrine...
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What about signing Bird, McHale and Ainge?

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I say split the MLE on Arroyo and Barnes and then give the LLE to Kwame.
That gives you 3 vets under the age of 30. No reason to bring in Methuselah Mutombo/Mourning when there are some young vets that can help this team for more than 1 year.

Also, if the C's are in the title hunt late into next season, I'm sure there will be an opportunity to sign a veteran that was waived by his team.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sprewell is going to be 38 next season, and hasn't played for three entire seasons. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline scalabrine44mvp

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
WE NEED PEEEJ , thats who we need. Someone to come in off the bench and give all hes got every single game, and not to mention he is a vetran that does have a ring. I was at the first game that he played and to see the improvment makes me want to think this guy might be in his prime. It would be great if danny could talk him into coming back to help us repeat.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 02:08:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think the answer to this question depends on whether the Cs resign Posey.  If so, then it might make sense to look at some "younger legs" (Livingston, Miles, for example).  If not Posey, then I think the Cs need to fill out the bench with more experienced players (House, M. Evans, maybe A. Foyle).
Celtics fan for life.