Author Topic: Cavs expiring contracts  (Read 4332 times)

Cavs expiring contracts
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I'm probably late to this party, but has anyone noticed the glut of expiring deals the Cavs have on the roster this year?

Wally, Snow, Joe Smith, and Damon Jones combine for a total of almost $30 million!

right now, if all those numbers come off the books next offseason, the Cavs will still have around $52M in salaries covering just 5 players - given that the cap is around $58M this year, that doesn't sound like a team that will be able to be big players in next year's free agent class

I would expect at LEAST one major deal from that team taking on a big priced star to pair with LeBron, but as this article explains, it won't likely be until the trading deadline

the only question is, who can they get?  who will be out there available?

should be an interesting story to follow this year
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Cavs expiring contracts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
My question, what team is going to deal with them?

Teams are stockpiling cap room to make a run at Lebron.  The last thing they should want to do is provide talent to go next to Lebron and help him decide to stay in Cleveland.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Cleveland's major problem is that they have no young talent to couple with the expiring contracts. That takes them out of the bidding of every major player that comes available and leaves them with the third tier types like a Richard Jefferson or sixth tier types like a Ben Wallace.

They're not a threat to add those top players they're linked with because they don't have the youth to couple with the expiring contracts.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Good point by wdleehi.  The other point is that despite the Cavs having expiring contracts, they don't have any other assets to package along with them to make an offer more enticing to another team.  I mean, rumor has it (or was it confirmed?) that they offered Wally's contract to the Nets for Vince Carter.  Fat chance of that happening; teams want *some* young talent in return for their stars; even if it's not top notch talent, they usually want a legit player in return (unless, of course, you're dealing with Memphis.  Even they got back Crittendon and Marc Gasol, though.)

EDIT: Who and I were on the same wave length, 21 seconds apart.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Cleveland's major problem is that they have no young talent to couple with the expiring contracts. That takes them out of the bidding of every major player that comes available and leaves them with the third tier types like a Richard Jefferson or sixth tier types like a Ben Wallace.

They're not a threat to add those top players they're linked with because they don't have the youth to couple with the expiring contracts.

The Cavs don't need to give up anything for Ben Wallace. ;)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:40:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I expect them to make a deal with the expiring contracts...but I just don't expect it to be a good one.  I think they will end up with someone with a bad contract that didn't work out.  Maybe Kenyon Martin, or Zach Randolph.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Lebron opts out the Cavs will have no one on the roster (aside from their rookie this year and next year) for the 10/11 season, which means they will in fact be the biggest player in the Lebron/Bosh/Wade/etc. sweepstakes.  They could in reality lose Lebron and end up with both Bosh and Wade as replacements. 

All that said, I think they make a move this year to try and keep Lebron happy.  I would guess Vince Carter will be the most likely mover, though wouldn't be surprised to see any number of players available like Raymond Felton (who isn't great but is available and would upgrade the point for the Cavs).  I also wouldn't count them out of the sign and trade possibilities and maybe bring in a guy like Okafor or Deng, who are both possibilities and from what I gather both teams may very well be willing to do sign and trades.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Maybe by mid season they can make a move to get baron Davis. 

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
A hair under $80 million in payroll for only nine players, and Delonte and Gibson still unsigned, along with their draft picks.  Good work, Danny Ferry.

At least you won't be hamstrung with horrible contracts when LeBron bolts in two summers.  The have $0 on the books that year. Unless you make another desperate attempt to placate LeBron with more washed up eight figur contract guys like Wally and Ben Wallace, who combined for a whopping three points in the Game 7 loss.  That's around $8 million a point in the biggest game of the year.   

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Teams are stockpiling cap room to make a run at Lebron.  The last thing they should want to do is provide talent to go next to Lebron and help him decide to stay in Cleveland.

have you followed the NBA at all in the last 5 years?  Chris Wallace is still an NBA GM, there's people out there dumb enough to help Cleveland
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 11:48:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

have you followed the NBA at all in the last 5 years?  Chris Wallace is still an NBA GM, there's people out there dumb enough to help Cleveland

Who do they have left to give away?

Maybe the Clippers with Baron