Author Topic: The Posey Pursuit - Contract season players  (Read 1720 times)

The Posey Pursuit - Contract season players
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:51 AM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Is the james Posey pursuit based on a great contract season performance deflecting the C's real need for a quality big man and/3rd point gaurd.

I have issues with Posey - he strikes me as the kind of guy who is great when he needs to be. His career consistancy does not excite me neither does his loyalty.

I am not comparing Posey to Blaunt but contract season players man....

In the swingman spots there is Pierce and some nice cover pieces I would seriously like to see Danny work harder on getting a big than on keeping Posey

The Posey fetish has me worried

Re: The Posey Pursuit - Contract season players
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 02:25:33 AM »

Offline Montrossity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
eh, I wouldnt worry about it.  I wouldnt go so far as to say he is inconsistent or a contract year player, I would relate him more to a Josh Beckett.  Good-very good most of the time, and elevates his game to greatness in the truly big games.  That being said, as great as he has been for us, the money he wants could be better spent elsewhere and I honestly believe Ainge feels the same way.  If this board was GM, hed be signed already, but I dont think that Ainge is that willing to invest as much in him.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:14:41 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
But who is the quality big man available in free-agency that can't be signed for the LLE/Minimum salary? Or, for that matter, the backup point-guard? Or the swingman not named Posey?

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:28:23 AM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I guess I agree with you both and am pretty sure Danny had this in mind when he drafted 2 Swingmen in Giddens and Walker and was in the frame for Maggette.

The Quality big situation is scary and when you look at what Philly have just done I think they will be a force next season. They are very talented now but also very young and athletic.

I can't say I like any of the free agent Bigs out there at all so there will probably be a trade involving ne of BBD and Powe and possibly Tony A maybe Scal some picks and a photo op under the banners :-) for some Big. Although I doubt that will buy you much.

Wait and see I suppose

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I am a huge fan of BGJ. He is the rubber man out there. Just a basketball player that knows his limitations and is able to rise up and make the big play in the big game. I am not talking about just the giant Coconut coffin nail THREES he always seems to hit, but also the execellent defense in the fourth and his clutch free throw shooting. He makes plays when you need them most. Is he a high quality starter in the league? Probably not based on his limited offensive game, but I know who I want on the floor in the 4th quarter.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
The question remains the same .... only with less options.

If we choose to pass on giving James Posey a 4 year contract at the MLE, what options would you pursue?

IMO, the best "feasible" alternatives include Kenyon Dooling OR Kurt Thomas since most of the restricted free agents worth having would inevitably be matched at the MLE.   

It is a tough call.  With our window of opportunity being 3 to 4 years, I'm not sure financial prudence is the same this year vs. last.   IMO, you might overpay in terms of a year to get the opening you need.   

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
But who is the quality big man available in free-agency that can't be signed for the LLE/Minimum salary? Or, for that matter, the backup point-guard? Or the swingman not named Posey?

you assume this sort of thing matters to danny. if danny doesnt feel hes worth the mle than thats that. danny has never been a guy who will over pay for a guy in lew of "other better options". if he thinks posey is only worth the non-bird exception than thats that.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...