Author Topic: After winning the championship..have your opinions on Doc changed?  (Read 11891 times)

Re: After winning the championship..have your opinions on Doc changed?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 07:41:50 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
No....I like doc as a guy and am glad he was able to LEAD us to the championship.  Much like KC Jones, great guy but not the best coach.  Doc kept his vets happy, got everyone to play into (tom's) the system and we won it.  Winning is the most important thing.  I wouldn't change my opinion because we are loosing or winning.
If he improves on rotations I'll be happy since I did see an improvement in timeout/dead ball opportunities this year compared with past.
(guard the inbounds pass)  ::)
But again we won, we won

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Why is it I'm not at all surprised by the contents of this thread?

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Somewhat.  He was pretty good in the Finals and obviously improved as the postseason went on with some of his rotations.  I still think for a team with three superstars, there's too many times when none of them are on the court.  But, he got it done.  Plus, I still kinda think that Terry Francona isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, but he's won two titles. 

I suppose another way to look at it is that the C's were the best team in the league and should've won it.  Thus, had they not, Doc would have been terribly incompetent. 

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 09:07:27 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I've thought Doc was the right man for the job from day 1.  Danny knew he had a coach who would do as he asked, a company man during the hard year, and would reap the benefits last year for doing so.  Doc proved to be a master motivator not only here, but also in Orlando where he took a ragtag bunch to the playoffs against the predictions of everyone.  He comes here, inherits an ok roster, then the team hits rock bottom, thanks to injuries, youth and perhaps a little tanking - and then Doc gets to show his stuff off.  Yes he had one of the best rosters in the league, BUT they hadn't played together.  Look at these Olympic All-Star teams that haven't taken gold - they had even more talent than this years c's, but because their coaches couldn't get them on the same page, they walk away utter embarrasments to themselves and their country.  Doc made this thing work - give credit to the assistant coaches, he and Danny knew what they were doing bringing them in.  But ultimately Doc makes the gametime decisions, Doc motivates the troops, Doc is one reason we are NBA champion, so no my opinion hasn't changed, I've had faith all along
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 09:11:46 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
My opinions on Rivers have not changed and they are not favorable.

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 09:23:37 AM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
If you don't think Doc is a good coach by now, then you probably also think the Red Sox won two titles in spite of Terry Francona.

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Do I think Doc is a good coach?  no.

Do I think he is enough of a coach for the Celtics to win titles?  Yes.

He has earned his next contract. 

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For those guys that don't like Doc as a coach, what exactly does he have to do to change your mind, or is he doomed to always being a bad coach in your minds?

I think during the playoffs I saw change and growth as a coach. I think much of what he does do well as a coach, that many give him very little credit for, came forth and showed why those attributes are important to have as a head coach.

So, if he has a year where we see continued development of young talent, another stellar defensive team unit, a more set 9-10 man rotation that gets tighter in close games and in the playoffs, if we see more timely timeouts, his keeping of the Big Three to 35 MPG or less, wins over 60 games again, struggles less in the early rounds and wins another championship, does your opinions change?

Are these the things you want to see continue to happen or change from last year that will change your mind regarding how good a coach Doc is?

Or is it simply that your minds are made up and they are going to stay that way no matter what?

Is it possible that Doc is still learning to coach and is getting better?

I am asking in earnest, with good intentions, and would really like responses if you could provide them. I also would appreciate the non use of absolutes like "well that's never going to happen so my mind is not going to change". I find responses like that unproductive and short sighted.

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Not really. I have been a Doc supporter for the entire time. He has flaws and still has those in spite of the championship. He did have many strengths though that tons of people on here just wouldn't own up to. Coach gets way too much credit when they win and way too much credit when they lose in the NBA...

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:19 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He has went from Isiah Thomas status to Bill Fitch.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
I'll maintain that if any of our young players, short of Jefferson and Perk, (who had Coach Ray) had progressed at all during Rivers' tenure, the team wouldn't have had to have been completely gutted. Plus giving up draft choices to accomplish what Danny did in building a championship team.  It gives the C's a very narrow window of opportunity.  If these youngsters developed at all under Rivers, we keep a draft choice or a good role player.  Rivers ran an embarassingly dysfunctional ship his first 3 seasons.  Particularly defensively.  I was softening my stance on Rivers until I heard the ridiculously laughable assertion that Thibodeau was implementing Rivers' defense.

Rivers deserves credit for letting Thibodeau do what he does best and staying out of his way.  He deserves credit for keeping some pretty big egos focussed. 

But comparing Rivers to Fitch or Francona is ludicrous. 

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Did you guys see Scintan's TP to Post ratio - wow! And with so many, you know it isn't a fluke. Pretty much a 4 to 1 Post to TP ratio, that earns some credibility, in my eyes anyway... so, yes, I don't agree totally, but I have to respect the source...

Respect a source because of TPs?  I can always get a smile when I visit this site.  More like after being proven utterly completely fantastically wrong and he still can't admit it.  A more gracious person might admit their inaccuracies and beg for forgiveness.  Not this guy he's motoring right along with more nonsense.

Doc did a great job this year of course I never painted myself into some corner pontificating about how I knew Doc sucked because none of us really 'know' anything.  Some know less then others though.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For those guys that don't like Doc as a coach, what exactly does he have to do to change your mind, or is he doomed to always being a bad coach in your minds?

I think during the playoffs I saw change and growth as a coach. I think much of what he does do well as a coach, that many give him very little credit for, came forth and showed why those attributes are important to have as a head coach.

If Doc consistently coaches like he did for the Lakers and Detroit series, I'd be fine with him.  Doc coached very poorly against Atlanta and much of the time in Cleveland, but he found his stride later in the playoffs.  He still made some decisions I wasn't in love with (too much Sam), but overall, he coached well.

The first round, though, was a debacle.  His team wasn't prepared, and that's at least in part because Doc totally changed his rotation on the eve of the playoffs.  If he doesn't repeat similar mistakes in the future, and doesn't become enamored with mediocre-to-poor players (Sam this season, at times Scal and/or Tony in the past) he'll be fine. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'll maintain that if any of our young players, short of Jefferson and Perk, (who had Coach Ray) had progressed at all during Rivers' tenure, the team wouldn't have had to have been completely gutted. Plus giving up draft choices to accomplish what Danny did in building a championship team.  It gives the C's a very narrow window of opportunity.  If these youngsters developed at all under Rivers, we keep a draft choice or a good role player.  Rivers ran an embarassingly dysfunctional ship his first 3 seasons.  Particularly defensively.  I was softening my stance on Rivers until I heard the ridiculously laughable assertion that Thibodeau was implementing Rivers' defense.

Rivers deserves credit for letting Thibodeau do what he does best and staying out of his way.  He deserves credit for keeping some pretty big egos focussed. 

But comparing Rivers to Fitch or Francona is ludicrous. 

Fitch has 1 championship, 2 coach of the year awards, and a win/loss record of
944/1106. Those stats sounds a lot like Doc Rivers.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was softening my stance on Rivers until I heard the ridiculously laughable assertion that Thibodeau was implementing Rivers' defense.

Actually my man, the truth is that Thibodeau did in fact coach Doc's defensive system. It is the same system that Thibodeau and Van Gundy and other disciples of Pat Riley run. Mike Fratello used a very similar system, which is where Doc got introduced to it.

I have posted this a few times this year. It is audio of Danny Ainge in a radio interview on WEEI discussing Thibodeau's impact and the assertion that it is Coach T's system:

http://audio.weei.com/m/18827930/danny_ainge.htm?col=en-aud-pod_weei-ep&q= ...
... +ainge&seek=1122.319

Start listening at the 12 minute mark. In the interview Larry Johnson was trying to praise Tom Thibodeau and Danny shot him down right away and pointed out that Doc was the man responsible for the team and the defense and it was his scheme. It is a good listen and I think Danny dispels a lot of misconceptions as to just how much Thibodeau is responsible for what happened defensively. Why people will not believe the man that runs the Celtic organization and who would know better than all of us is beyond me.

I saw the same blitzes on the pick and roll in 2006 as I did in 2008. I saw the same defensive rotations in 2006 and 2008. I saw the same positioning on the outlet passing, the same positioning on the fast break, I saw the same forcing of ballhandlers into the same help areas. I saw these things because the difference between 2006 and 2008 are the players in the system and the coach teaching the players the system. But the system is the same.

Thibodeau was amazing at teaching the defense and getting the players understanding their responsibilities within the system. But he is not some Buddy Ryan type, conceptual, scheme-based coordinator that runs all things defense in the Celtics.

Has anyone besides me sat close enough to the huddles during the games to hear what goes on? I did twice, once with Doc as coach, once with three odd years ago. Television shows us Doc being a rah-rah motivational guy but that's because they are contractually obligated not to show any x's and o's, or let anyone hear the defensive and offensive assignments and plays and other important aspects of what goes on.

What I heard and saw that game was the players coming to the bench and the assistants telling the layers what had been happening. Vet players, Clifford Ray, Tom Thibodeau and Doc all had imput as to what was happening and how to stop it. When things were going bad it was Doc being the loudest voice in that portion of the huddle. But when it came down to what was going to happen next and anything else, that was all Doc and no one else. At least not that game. And from what I saw on television, it didn't appear all that much different.

Perhaps someone who blogs here that is around that area more than I can chime in and let me know if I am way off base here. But at game time, that's Doc's team. The assistants assist and I do believe that Coach T acts in an Assist Head Coach, 2nd in charge manner, but I also believe that most here way, way overplay his role as to what occurs on that team.

I think he was great for this team and covered up one of Doc's less than great skills, that being teaching his defensive scheme. He was a huge asset to Doc's staff. But the player skill and intelligence and experience increased significantly as well and that needs to be taken into account as well.